Tips on burning unseasoned wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Completely disagree.

As long as a guy is upfront that it's green I don't see the problem. He even mentioned he personally sells seasoned wood. If someone wants to save a buck or wait til the last minute, as plenty will, that's their problem. He makes a living off of it as well. Will the bank wait a year to collect the mortgage when the wood has dried?

I HATE green wood. These people bring it on themselves with poor planning.
how is it poor planning if the guy still has seasoned wood that he could sell to them.
I can see offering unseasoned ,but to somehow instruct them how to burn the unseasoned wood. I don't see the point of it.

My understanding is the people are choosing not to buy the seasoned wood. Poor planning is the fact you can get it green cheaper in the year(usually) and season it yourself and not worry about the extra money or the extra cresote.

I don't agree with trying to pass off green wood as burnable if you do etc....as that just ain't the case.

How much cheaper is green wood? You still have to cut it and split it before you sell it. If you know its green and you can't burn it this year then what's the advantage to buying it.

If someone wants to buy green wood and knows its green then sell it to them. That's their problem.

$100 less a cord. $275 vs $375.

Seasoned wood is a limited supply, I sold out a few months ago.

I've been moving 15-20 cords a week for the last couple months and working on ways to double that.

That really depends on your process, your space, and how much wood you sell, etc...

Proper dried wood requires handling.

Green wood, worked up with equipment, wouldn't have to be touched.

That's what in saying it's the same amount of work so if you sell the green for cheaper you aren't making money you are just selling wood.

Not sure how it'd be the same amount of work?

Logs, processor, truck

Logs, processor, vented FIBC bags, 6+ months, truck.

Right now we are selling ash that was just cut down a month ago and split that weekend. I split it smaller and it just drops off the conveyor. We hand load it onto the conveyor and it drops into the trailer for delivery. We are selling it for the same price and tell people it was just cut ( it's ash so it's fairly dry anyway) and split. Because they weren't smart enough to buy my seasoned wood early then they will have to do the extra handling themselves and set it by the stove or whatever, their problem not mine. I will keep cutting and splitting and selling until the weather gets nasty and then just the selling stops until next year. Any green I sell now is just "extra or early " money at this point. Last year I had some wood under cover but I never charged extra for all that extra work, this year I said to heck with it and just sell it as is.

That's what in saying it's the same amount of work so if you sell the green for cheaper you aren't making money you are just selling wood.
Sounds like the actual price of a cord of wood is $275 (seasoned or not considering it's the same amount of time to cut and split) and then if it's seasoned and the consumer wants it now, having forgotten to plan ahead, they have to pay $100 more.

Pretty simple.

Best advice you could give them is buy 50:50 wet and seasoned wood and mix it. That's smart business for you and the best of a non-idea situation. As afr as making an article idk, you'll have to do a little more research, it's all subjective.
Yup I mixed it up in the past when I was running low on seasoned wood. 50/50 green and seasoned.

Not sure how it'd be the same amount of work?

Logs, processor, truck

Logs, processor, vented FIBC bags, 6+ months, truck.

Well I'm not sure how cutting it now and selling it vs cutting it now and selling it next fall aren't the same amount of work. Any wood bought around here is seasoned by sitting and drying. And if you can get green wood cut and split for a lot less then you are a moron to pay for dried wood buy it a year in advance and save money. I have never heard of anyone selling green fire wood. If there were a market for green unburnable fire wood everyone would sell it and dried wood would be a premium. Cut it sell it and money in the pocket in the same week.

It varies greatly by region. Around here you'll see hardwood for $70-150+ a face cord, sometimes with delivery on top of that. Cords for $200-350. If you've got seasoned oak to sell you can price it right at the top of that range. Softwood goes for much less.
At those prices, if you had to buy your wood, I don't know why you would heat with wood, with the current price, I beleive you could easily heat cheaper with LP, or fuel oil, without a doubt with Natural.

There is a guy around here that will deliver a face cord of very nicely seasoned and split well mixed hardwood for $55. Mostly ash and oak with some hard maple from what I've seen, nice guy too!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

At those prices, if you had to buy your wood, I don't know why you would heat with wood, with the current price, I beleive you could easily heat cheaper with LP, or fuel oil, without a doubt with Natural.

I've sold several face cords for $150 delivered this fall. It surprised me too, to be honest. I posted it on craigslist figuring I'd see what happened and sure enough, people want it. It is premium wood, white oak, split nicely and seasoned 22 months now. That said, I don't think a single one of those buyers is earnestly using it for heat. Fireplaces, inserts, and patio use seem to be the plan, though in my opinion, there's better wood than oak for an open fire.

I've sold several face cords for $150 delivered this fall. It surprised me too, to be honest. I posted it on craigslist figuring I'd see what happened and sure enough, people want it. It is premium wood, white oak, split nicely and seasoned 22 months now. That said, I don't think a single one of those buyers is earnestly using it for heat. Fireplaces, inserts, and patio use seem to be the plan, though in my opinion, there's better wood than oak for an open fire.
I agree, soft maple is a favorite for outdoor pits, nice bright flames and readily available.

who knows, maybe if you stack a face cord of wood that was cut a few months ago in the same room as your woodstove it would be dry enough to burn good in a couple months. Maybe only a month,, I suppose it would depend on species and if the tree was dead when it was cut. It might stink the house up though.

who knows, maybe if you stack a face cord of wood that was cut a few months ago in the same room as your woodstove it would be dry enough to burn good in a couple months. Maybe only a month,, I suppose it would depend on species and if the tree was dead when it was cut. It might stink the house up though.

I have a friend who does pretty much exactly that. Buys a dozen cords of oak logs every couple years. Cuts and splits several times throughout the winter and builds a pile outside the window closest to the stove. He's got a big rack next to the stove that holds probably a face cord. It's not like he thinks it's the best way to do things, but he does manage to stay warm for the most part. They homestead without a lot of income and he seems to struggle with health issues a lot. That reminds me, I should call up there and go help with wood one of these weeks.

Well I'm not sure how cutting it now and selling it vs cutting it now and selling it next fall aren't the same amount of work. Any wood bought around here is seasoned by sitting and drying. And if you can get green wood cut and split for a lot less then you are a moron to pay for dried wood buy it a year in advance and save money. I have never heard of anyone selling green fire wood. If there were a market for green unburnable fire wood everyone would sell it and dried wood would be a premium. Cut it sell it and money in the pocket in the same week.

I just explained it. Extra handling/processes.

No commercial vendor sells seasoned wood here aside from campfire bundles.

Latest posts

Back