Cold bar oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just carry 30 weight for Summer use and 10 weight for Winter. I like Service Pro (which we ordered from a company,) 8 cases of 30 weight, and Essence which I can get in bulk in 10 & 30 weight. The old green jug Poulon was good too. The high price cut off for me is $8/gallon for this but it is by far the best oil I have seen, very tacky.

Never used waste motor oil but a friends friend grandpa passed and he had jugs and jugs of unused unopened oil but no labels that they were going to discard so I took them and used for bar oil didn’t notice any difference

$18.99/Gallon for BAR OIL????????????????? That's a real Steal.:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
Careful, he'll call you a libtard and an ass like he did me when I said it's a ****ing rip off. And yes, it's still a rip off. You can tell hes in the business of selling over priced stihl products.

Careful, he'll call you a libtard and an ass like he did me when I said it's a ****ing rip off. And yes, it's still a rip off. You can tell hes in the business of selling over priced stihl products.

Well @Marshy , looks like we should form a club, it will be very exclusive.:happybanana:

I sell stuff for more than it's worth sometimes too. Almost everything I own is for sale and I have a price in mind for everything, if some idiot comes along and wants it then I'll take his money. There is always more to buy. I seen that post and I think that's likely what Stihl oil sells for here, I do have a jug or 2 but most of my bar oil is TSC stuff bought on sale. I just scrolled on past that post but I'm hoping the small time cutters buy that oil off Dealers like him so that when I "need" something from my Dealer he is still in business. I buy very little from my local Dealer but I do recommend him to everyone I can. Bought my new 261 off Schmidt's Power Equipment and an very happy with it. Gonna buy a loggers tape off him next time I go past.

I just carry 30 weight for Summer use and 10 weight for Winter. I like Service Pro (which we ordered from a company,) 8 cases of 30 weight, and Essence which I can get in bulk in 10 & 30 weight. The old green jug Poulon was good too. The high price cut off for me is $8/gallon for this but it is by far the best oil I have seen, very tacky.
lol being "tacky" some times is a good thing! I think? i guess I will have to "stick around" and find out. lol

Every couple years I throw this out. I grew up in a 4th generation tree service. I never saw bar specific oil. All we ever used was the cheapest 10W30 we could get at K Mart. When Dad's business got big enough that we started dealing with companies direct, he would get all kinds of offers to test new products. This was in the early and mid 70's. I remember getting one offer to try a bar oil. Their selling point was the oil was thin and flew off the bar tip faster, carrying heat away with it. They had all kinds of scientific data to prove their product worked. Then we got an other offer and they claimed their oil was thicker and stuck to the bar longer, lubricating better. They had all kinds of scientific data to prove their product worked. We just kept using 10W30, and I have bars that are well over 40 years old, that went through 20+ years of commercial service and then another 20 years of me pounding on them, and show virtually no sign of wear, except no paint left on them. If I'm at TSC and they have oil on sale I might get a couple gallons, same with Ace or Southern States, otherwise I still use the cheapest 10w30 I can find on sale. I think a high flow of oil works best.

Every couple years I throw this out. I grew up in a 4th generation tree service. I never saw bar specific oil. All we ever used was the cheapest 10W30 we could get at K Mart. When Dad's business got big enough that we started dealing with companies direct, he would get all kinds of offers to test new products. This was in the early and mid 70's. I remember getting one offer to try a bar oil. Their selling point was the oil was thin and flew off the bar tip faster, carrying heat away with it. They had all kinds of scientific data to prove their product worked. Then we got an other offer and they claimed their oil was thicker and stuck to the bar longer, lubricating better. They had all kinds of scientific data to prove their product worked. We just kept using 10W30, and I have bars that are well over 40 years old, that went through 20+ years of commercial service and then another 20 years of me pounding on them, and show virtually no sign of wear, except no paint left on them. If I'm at TSC and they have oil on sale I might get a couple gallons, same with Ace or Southern States, otherwise I still use the cheapest 10w30 I can find on sale. I think a high flow of oil works best.
NZ gets a lot of whale strandings. I spy a bio-oil/bar-blubber opportunity for some local entrepreneur. But youth today lack initiative.

I use bar oil, mostly from TSC when on sale for about $6/gal. Sometimes I grab a gallon at the saw shop because I like the guy, his dog, and his shop, costs more like $9/gallon, but he will look at a saw I don't think is running right, apply his magic screw drivers to adjust carb, and share a cup of coffee, no charge.

But, back to the original question: I carry a quart in my saw box, using a very old (more than 30 years) squeeze bottle that I refill from the gallons in the relative warmth of my garage before I head out. I am not a volume sawing guy, I've never sawed more than quart of bar oil in one day in my life. I like the squeeze bottle, I never spill, and if I let it get too full, I can suck a tad out with this bottle.

Side note, I used to pull a wagon with saw, tools, and toddler daughter into the woods. One time I turned around to see my daughter holding my bar oil bottle up for a sip like her milk bottle. She is now 33 and still showing no ill effects from this extra lubrication. (Probably good my wife doesn't read this - I may be banned from taking my Grandson along with me now.)

Reuse Bar Oil.JPG

I always use the same oil year round. Good high quality Stihl. I am in northwest Indiana and we get plenty cold. Yes the oil pours out slowly into the saw. But as soon as the saw warms up, do does the oil. So it is right where it needs to be viscosity wise. Start off with it thin and it will get thinner with the heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Difference being today is the bar oils are generally biologically based as compared to carbon base. Biological oils don't contribute to pollutants in the ground, carbon based do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back