Glut of chainsaws......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jltrent

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It seems anymore that buying a chainsaw on Ebay is a buyers market. I have sold a lot of chainsaws there through the years and always started them at $25 with no reserve and these were good saws, not problems. There is getting to be so many saws that the last few bids that were maybe break even or made $20 is not there anymore as to many to bid on. I still have maybe 50 nice saws to list eventually, but when they are gone and hopefully I can break even after the commission etc. I am done. I will keep maybe 5 saws and that is it unless I run across a deal I can't refuse.

Anybody else notice this. I sold 13 right before Christmas and several new or very low hours and the buyer got a bargain IMO.

I q
It seems anymore that buying a chainsaw on Ebay is a buyers market. I have sold a lot of chainsaws there through the years and always started them at $25 with no reserve and these were good saws, not problems. There is getting to be so many saws that the last few bids that were maybe break even or made $20 is not there anymore as to many to bid on. I still have maybe 50 nice saws to list eventually, but when they are gone and hopefully I can break even after the commission etc. I am done. I will keep maybe 5 saws and that is it unless I run across a deal I can't refuse.

Anybody else notice this. I sold 13 right before Christmas and several new or very low hours and the buyer got a bargain IMO.[/QUOT

I quit selling 4 or 5 years back because of the way fleabay was doing. I have thought a bought starting back, but I probably want. On another note, just before Christmas is a bad time to sell. The best I found to sell was tax time, last of Feb. until April or maybe May. Also early fall. Tom

I’ve bought a several saws off eBay, and almost every saw was in way worse condition than I thought they were based off the ads.

The desirable saws go for premium prices, but the junk saws probably don’t.

I used to sell a few saws on ebay but in the last few years I've been turned off by the scammers and crooks that seem to hang out there. All a buyer has to do is say the saw isn't as advertised and they get their money back, even if they lied. I'd rather do business with honest people even if it means less exposure to buyers..

The best saws that I have ever bought or sold were bought or sold here on the AS Tradin' Post. I like to sell saws that I know are going to get used by the buyer and I like to buy saws from sellers who know that I will take care of them as I use them. Is that a utopia? Probably, but most of the guys here are honest merchants.

I've sold about a half dozen on ebay. I always charged $25 flat fee for shipping and shipped them out from work where I received a deep discount. Never cost me more than $8. Most of the saws sold for about $30 less than I wanted then had to pay the ebay fee. I gave up the practice.

I bought 1 saw on eBay, a 660, and that's the last one. If I'm looking for used, I'll stick to here.... though when I was looking for a replacement for my 361 that was stolen I ended up buying new for not much more than a used one. Shipping a saw to here is $60-80.

The 660 was supposed to be a good running saw. Sure... after it got a carb rebuild and new cylinder (spark plug was stripped out). I had the Stihl dealer take a look at it.

I msged the seller and ebay and in the end they sided with him because I had someone look at it. :omg: Didn't matter that it was a Stihl dealer and not just a random guy (IE... me)

Oh, and it took over a month to get to me. I paid for Priority mail, he shipped it parcel post. eBay said "oh well, you got it didn't you?"

I've sold a few things on eBay like 1/2" saw chain and a few Homelite parts. After all the fees, it's close to not being worth it.
I started out with ebay 20 years ago (1998 or 1999). It was very reasonable back then. Now it's quite expensive.

I have never looked on EBay for chainsaws. I just did, and I am not seeing anything exceptional. Better finds on Craigslist.

I gave up on Craigslist. Selling they come to your house or getting your money can be a problem. There is no fees though, so you can take less. Also buying I have seen no deals either around here on Craigslist. I guess I have been lucky so far, but I have sold saws on Ebay and did pretty well, but it seems as I stated in the original post, too many chainsaws is a buyers market now. Very few people burn wood anymore. heck you can't even hardly buy a new wood stove as they pollute to much according to the EPA.

Also I will throw out there the new saws as parts are unreal high and buying used is scary. I just about refuse to buy those. Working on them can be a real experience also as I have worked on several so far. Example a two piece fuel line for a MS391 cost $26 to replace and you have to buy them.

I wholly agree. I bought my 461 here, and feel I got a great deal. On EBay, I did the same search. Comparable saws were quite a bit more expensive, and lesser priced same looked beat up.

The best saws that I have ever bought or sold were bought or sold here on the AS Tradin' Post. I like to sell saws that I know are going to get used by the buyer and I like to buy saws from sellers who know that I will take care of them as I use them. Is that a utopia? Probably, but most of the guys here are honest merchants.

I usually try to sell saws here first and if they don’t sell then I try eBay. And sometimes I have been disappointed in the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I sold on
I gave up on Craigslist. Selling they come to your house or getting your money can be a problem. There is no fees though, so you can take less. Also buying I have seen no deals either around here on Craigslist. I guess I have been lucky so far, but I have sold saws on Ebay and did pretty well, but it seems as I stated in the original post, too many chainsaws is a buyers market now. Very few people burn wood anymore. heck you can't even hardly buy a new wood stove as they pollute to much according to the EPA.

Also I will throw out there the new saws as parts are unreal high and buying used is scary. I just about refuse to buy those. Working on them can be a real experience also as I have worked on several so far. Example a two piece fuel line for a MS391 cost $26 to replace and you have to buy them.
Not a great idea having the public come to your house, best to agree on a neutral site such as a parking lot downtown. No need of people casing your joint when you think they're there to buy a saw...

I wholly agree. I bought my 461 here, and feel I got a great deal. On EBay, I did the same search. Comparable saws were quite a bit more expensive, and lesser priced same looked beat up.
Ebay charges around 10% selling fees plus 10% more on shipping plus you have the Paypal fees so the ebay stuff would tend to cost more. I didn't mind the fees, that can be allowed for, it was the scammers that you couldn't allow for. The last ebay saw I sold was an as-is parts or repair saw that the customer said wasn't as advertised and they let him have his money back plus he kept the saw. That was all the incentive I needed to get out of that circus....I haven't sold on ebay since..

Latest posts

Back