Piston plating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because usually it makes zero sense opening such cheap engines.
Good thing I didn't know that before I opened up this one:

If you keep foreign objects out the engine they hold up fine, and these have good filters. In fact the bare aluminum cylinders have less thermal resistance than chrome plated cylinders, although that may not be true for Nikasil.

While it is commonly referred to as a bare or aluminum bore the early Poulans were treated in some way. It was supposed to increase the durability of the cylinder surface. The early manuals make reference to the process and it's purpose. Not sure if it is the same for the newer models or the 4 cycles engines.

It was a process as would be chrome plating or Ni bonding however not resulting in a additional surface.

Wish I could remember what they called it. Yep, that is going to drive me crazy, will have to find old manuals now.

Interesting. But you still haven't answered my question: Regarding the piston only-is the entire thing plated or just the skirt? If so, how do they do that? Chris, you said yours is plated on top?

The entire outer surface of the piston is chromed. Never looked for it on the inside, while check the ones I have soon.

If you keep foreign objects out the engine they hold up fine, and these have good filters. In fact the bare aluminum cylinders have less thermal resistance than chrome plated cylinders, although that may not be true for Nikasil.

Ah, but you see, when people buy a chainsaw for under €70 on eBay, shipped, €30 or so for a top end makes very little sense. :laugh:

While it is commonly referred to as a bare or aluminum bore the early Poulans were treated in some way. It was supposed to increase the durability of the cylinder surface. The early manuals make reference to the process and it's purpose. Not sure if it is the same for the newer models or the 4 cycles engines.

It was a process as would be chrome plating or Ni bonding however not resulting in a additional surface.

Wish I could remember what they called it. Yep, that is going to drive me crazy, will have to find old manuals now.

I know what your saying, but I don't remember the exact term either, but I seem to remember the words "high silicon"

Like I have said before, its not really a issue, and those bores are way tougher then most uninformed folks today would realize.

I can't add a lot to this as it's out of my element....but....a close friend used to rent mop-heads in Bar Harbor to the tourists....forget the brand they used...but I remember him telling me the ones for just driving around town were different (chrome piston) from the ones they rented to go up Cadillac Mountain.....extra fee....Those had a chrome cyl....and they needed to be rebuilt regularly he said.....I would tend to agree....longs ways up there for a 50cc motor...hauling a human......first place in America the sun hits at daybreak......

So far the only reference I have found states that the later 3400 saws came with a silicon impregnated bore. No mention of the chrome piston, or the use of that setup in other saws. So if you are a Poulan saw fan you have iron liner, nickel plated, chrome plated and silicon impregnated possibilities.

Cannot say as I have seen any of the saws from the iron, nickel, or chrome era with a nickel plated bore.

Danged, that saw cuts very well. Just what all have you done to it?

The old Poulans must have been made pretty good because they're still around. I still have several left...
The Poulan 2150 Isa solid saw. Mine fell out of the top of a big Sweetgum. It landed tip of bar bent bar bounced into the Air landed squarely on it's bottom and sat there idiling until motor switched off. My helper and I really needed to get the saw running. Bought new bar and chain at local Wallyworld, installed and finished the job. Kept the saw dismissed helper. The ONLY complaint is VIBRATION. I think if my Echos were to take a beating like that saw has taken over the years all of them would probably be broken. That thing sure has a strong motor. They saw 37cc but it may be one of those wild thing motors.

I have a on strato wild thing given to me and I think that is a chrome plated piston. I know it looks 100% different from the one in the craftsman / Poulan of the same 42cc family they were both given to me and I was checking out the bores and cylinders last weekend. The wild thing piston looked perfect in condition.

Latest posts

Back