Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how long one piece of any wood burns because I normally put at least 3-4 in at a time. When I'm burning coals I'll set a piece on top and leave the damper wide open, a nice chunk of hard maple will last an hr like that and then there will be nice coals left from it. Outside temperature will change the duration of a burn in my stove dramatically. On a warmer day(few degrees Celsius) I can leave the house in the morning around 5am with a good fire going and I will have lots of large coals at 5 that evening, when it's down below zero I may get 4-6 hrs before its at the same stage.

Sugar maple has become my favorite woods around here for my OWB. I'm into some red oak now and I forgot how if you don't mix it that it won't coal up well in OWB. Sugar maple on the other hand is nuclear and coals up well. Never had any hickory or locust so I can't comment on that. Birch is probably my second favorite.

I don't know how you can live in a place like that, I don't mind a bit of snow but I'm lucky as it usually only lasts a day or so once it falls and we only usually have 3 or 4 falls a year and most of the time they are only 3-4" but occasionally we get 15" but not often. Nice to look at but don't want to have to live in it 24/7 if I can help it.:cheers:

I'm in the easy part of the state. SVK, Jakers, Chucker those fellas are in a colder area than me. Usually 10-25 degree difference between us. Plus they usually get more snow. We were pretty snowless down where I am until the middle of January and now it looks we will have the snowiest February on record.

If I didn't have family and obligations up here I would be in a better climate. Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana. Plus the way the culture is turning in this state its starting to get me. You get within 50 miles of MSP and it is a sh!t show. Heck just had an opportunity to move to Rapid City, SD and couldn't take it. Climate there is almost a 180 from what we are because of how the rocky mountains effect the jet stream. When I am able I will more than likely leave this state or have a place in northern MN where the people are a little more friendly and have common sense but also have a shack in a southern climate as well.

I've been working on getting the 111 for awhile now. I thought about the 1050 you mentioned but had given my word if the saw was still for sale when tax returns came back I'll take it. Doesn't everyone need a 6 cube saw in there collection?
Actually, you need several, one for each different size bar. Changing bars is a pain.

Jealous of you guys. -16 this am with another 6-8" of snow coming tonight and than another 6-8" this weekend. It doesn't blow hard enough to clear off many areas and stuff just don't seem to run that nice under 10 degrees. Gonna be a month until I can get out there and have any fun.

hi P - I feel like a heel complaining about a rainy day with cold wet rains... at 46f currently! stay warm

I don't know how you can live in a place like that, I don't mind a bit of snow but I'm lucky as it usually only lasts a day or so once it falls and we only usually have 3 or 4 falls a year and most of the time they are only 3-4" but occasionally we get 15" but not often. Nice to look at but don't want to have to live in it 24/7 if I can help it.:cheers:

I hear the summers are fabulous! always or mostly... nice, dry air and cool. none of this 98f and humid, and a/c down here... ;)

Sugar maple has become my favorite woods around here for my OWB. I'm into some red oak now and I forgot how if you don't mix it that it won't coal up well in OWB. Sugar maple on the other hand is nuclear and coals up well. Never had any hickory or locust so I can't comment on that. Birch is probably my second favorite.

interesting to hear of the different types of woods some of you prefer. use. gather. some I have never head of before. its mostly oak, pecan, and pine. I have lots of mesquite, too. the pine usually is for the curb or dump, other than kindling... the mesquite? normally for cooking on. I see cedar, too... burns hot and pops. I use it mostly for kindling and jump starting a cold fire...

I'm in the easy part of the state. SVK, Jakers, Chucker those fellas are in a colder area than me. Usually 10-25 degree difference between us. Plus they usually get more snow. We were pretty snowless down where I am until the middle of January and now it looks we will have the snowiest February on record.

If I didn't have family and obligations up here I would be in a better climate. Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana. Plus the way the culture is turning in this state its starting to get me. You get within 50 miles of MSP and it is a sh!t show. Heck just had an opportunity to move to Rapid City, SD and couldn't take it. Climate there is almost a 180 from what we are because of how the rocky mountains effect the jet stream. When I am able I will more than likely leave this state or have a place in northern MN where the people are a little more friendly and have common sense but also have a shack in a southern climate as well.

lol; we got plenty of them down here... maybe further out! micro: starts with the traffic, macro: traffic! lol summer heat is in there, too. never ending construction, hiway mods, jams, pot holes rank high, also. can't forget the flooding in the macro stages. bad news! both macro and micro... flood out, one seems almost to never recover. then it hits again. I got lucky, imo... been high n dry for the entire time in this 4th largest city of USA. but i'd take the Pac NW any day.

then there is 'ethnic sprawl!' that can be a SS all by itself...

the cool months blaze by, but the hot, humid so TX temps months... never seem to end! :nofunny:

stay warm!

I agree. I like Sugar Maple better than Red Oak too just because it doesn't take as long to dry and just as many btu's. And we got a lot of it in Michigan.

Crisp -17 this morning but heading up to +20 this afternoon. These late winter days are nice though.

Looks like I am going to have to fill my propane tank at work again in the next couple of weeks.....previous tenant said he used 300 gallons a year. I am over 500 gallons into it this winter. Necessary evil though dog gonnit.

Crisp -17 this morning but heading up to +20 this afternoon. These late winter days are nice though.

Looks like I am going to have to fill my propane tank at work again in the next couple of weeks.....previous tenant said he used 300 gallons a year. I am over 500 gallons into it this winter. Necessary evil though dog gonnit.

I bet c r i s p ! :cold:

I was thinking about you svk this morning. wondering how ur temps were up there. now I know. stay warm!

The 372xp's are getting lower in price with the 572 coming to market too.
I think the 365/372 are both $60 off right now. For those that don't know the 365 is a 71cc saw with restrictors so the transfers flow a little less than the 372, the restrictions can be removed for better flow, but they cut well in stock form with a 24 for the cost and make a great larger firewooding saw.

Just had a guy stop in for firewood. He only wanted birch. Couldn't help him out.

I agree. I like Sugar Maple better than Red Oak too just because it doesn't take as long to dry and just as many btu's. And we got a lot of it in Michigan.
I agree, red oak takes a long time to season, one of my favorite things about black locust is how quickly it will dry out, very low moisture content even when green.

Just had a guy stop in for firewood. He only wanted birch. Couldn't help him out.

If every stick I got was sugar, birch, and ash I would be a happy man. Dries in about 36 hours and burns well. Not much birch around here though. The borer is getting closer so I am sure we will have ash out the yinger soon.

I bet c r i s p ! :cold:

I was thinking about you svk this morning. wondering how ur temps were up there. now I know. stay warm!
I think I mentioned higher in the thread, the cold mornings are much more bearable when you get a 20-40 degree warm up during mid day....a couple weeks ago when we had a high of -22 and a low of -38, now that gets miserable in a hurry.

Got wind of a never to be repeated deal on a brand new 2018 plated Ranga XLS ute
Congrats! Rangers are being reintroduced this year here in the US. The last plant that built them is about 6 miles from my house - site is being redeveloped for residential.

Only offered with 2.3L EcoBoost and Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission. Would take me a while to learn to shift with my left hand.

Philbert

Back