Eucalyptus tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p232

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a eucalyptus tree that has grown in my canyon about 30 feet from my house. It's on the slope of the canyon and is about 80 feet high or taller. Is there a danger of it falling onto my house or would it fall into the canyon since it's on a slope?

You can use a plumb bob, to determine if it leans. You can look at branches, and determine if there is more weight to one side. But, a storm can move it in any direction. Is it rooted in well? Is there erosion around the base?
N

You can use a plumb bob, to determine if it leans. You can look at branches, and determine if there is more weight to one side. But, a storm can move it in any direction. Is it rooted in well? Is there erosion around the base?
N
It is not leaning and its rooted well. No erosion around the base. Just wondering since its on a canyon will it automatically just fall on the canyon or slide down.

I've seen lots of trees on slopes fall on the uphill side. It depends on which way the tree is leaning, how it grew, and what force causes it to fall. Just like a tree on flat ground.

If the tree is that close to the house you should worry about branches breaking off. The most common Eucalyptus in CA is Blue Gum. They tend to lose branches. The branches and bark they drop around the tree are more flammable than most other California vegetation types. Hard to tell without looking at it but an 80' tree 30' from the house I'd probably consider removing.

Back