Which saw to buy 462 or ported 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coty Ingram

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know they’re in a different size class but I have a 462 muffler modded and it’s one smooth saw and cuts like a dream! I have a tree monkey ported 661 and tree monkey ported 261 but I WANT/need another big saw. So through my work I can get a new 462c at around $950 out the door or the alternative new 390xp ported for $1000, which to get?

I ran big power heads for most of my chainsaw life(2100). If you already have a 60cc/ 70cc saw then I say adding the 390, that’s 88cc would become your favorite saw,
What drove me to bigger cc saws was the older homeowner saws took for ever to cut.
I got tired of that the new highway being added left piles of trees the size of small houses. My craftsman saws just couldn’t handle it. My two husky saws cleaned house.

My point is it’s good to have one bigger cc saw in your lineup. If I was going to purchase a new larger Husqvarna chain saw it would be the 390,

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/390-xp/965060714/

There’s no replacement for displacement when it comes to two strokes. If your an experienced sawyer get the 390xp. Get a assortment of bar lengths for it.

Everytime I pull out my 385xp she puts a show on. Everyone watches. The 390 is even more of a beast. If you go with the 390 I want to see a report on it.

Back