2 extra links ok? 72 vs 70

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Was looking at a better chain for my craftsman 3.7". It has an Oregon advance cut chain on it now but it's a little beat. I had read that a lot of people say that Stihl has some of the best chains. Problem is the only chain I can find is 72 tooth vs what it calls for of 70. Would this be doable still or should I look at alternatives. Cutting lots of oak.

It's not. So what's a good alternative? Maybe just one of the other Oregon chains like the Power cut chains?

Did you check at huztl/farmtec site for the right size chain or at baileys?

I couldn’t find what chain I wanted since I have the Oregon maker and breaker I started ordering 25’ reels again. I want a set of different length bars in 404” for my 2100’s.

All these newer chains confuse me. Years ago we just had chisel or chipper chain. We had LP or LG in chisel now we have so many different choices we need a sticky to explain it.

This comes up all the time. Chains are not born a particular length, they are made a particular length. If you need 70dl, have a 70dl loop spun up. If your local saw shop only sells premade, boxed loops, that should be a tip-off to you about their level of skill and expertise...

Your right if your saw shop doesn’t make chains to your length you need to find another saw shop. I didn’t think of that. My local guy will make anything. He made me 404” bars from 3/8” bars and changed the bar noses. He never tried to change my mind, even when I went to purchase new saws.

You need the 70dl. Won't be much adjustment left if you put a 72 dl on it. I use the same saw all the time and have done well with Woodland Pro 30 SC in 70 dl (made by Carlton), but have also used Oregon chain with satisfactory results. Stihl does make good chain, but their standard loops are often odd sizes compared to other saws, so you would need to get loops made up. It is also more expensive, like all things Stihl.

I'm assuming the Craftsman 3.7 is a Mac 610?

The Mac's 20 bar takes 70 Drive Links .050" 3/8" pitch nearly as I can remember. Those chains are readily available and it just so happens Echo 590/600/620P saws 20" bar takes the same chain.

There is no real advantage to Stihl chain over Oregon, I've used both and actually prefer Oregon but really not much difference between them.

I've been using more semi-chisel in recent years than full chisel, a little tougher to find in 70 DL but they are out there. PLENTY of 70DL loops available in Oregon full chisel at reasonable prices........Cliff

His craftsman 3.7 is most likely made by Poulan. (There was also a craftsman 3.7 made by Roper) 70 dL is very common for Poulan. There are fellow members in the trading post here that will cut loops for you as well.

The Sears 3.7 is usually a Poulan 3700. Old school magnesium cased saws. There is also a Roper based 3.7 sold by Sears from about the same time period, but there are far fewer of those, at least around my area.
The Sears 3.7/Poulan 3700 uses a 70 dl 3/8" 0.050 chain on their 20" bar. The Poulan 3400 and 4000 from the same time period also use this bar and chain.
In my opinion, these saws are comparable in quality to professional level Stihl, Husky or other top brand saws and can often be had for $100-$150 for a 56-61cc saw.
The fact that there are many, many of them that still run great 35 years after they were manufactured (they were built in the 1980s) is testament to their quality construction.
I heat my house with firewood and cut most of my wood with one.

Edit: I see beavis331 posted in a similar vein while I was writing my post.

Back