Danarm / Wolf 110v Late 1960's / early 1970's electric saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_Bluck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All... This is the latest addition to the vintage chainsaws here. Usually I prefer 2-stroke petrol saws. But a friend picked this old electric saw for 10 pounds (UK). at a junk-sale and gave it to me as he knew I loved old british made chainsaws. Mostly DANARM.

It's marked as a Danarm portable chainsaw, but the saw itself was made by WOLF from north London.

The saw runs from the usual 110v AC building-site-supply. and arrived here as not working. The serial-number has a GPO prefix, and the saw had the remains of a mostly scraped-off Post-Office property sticker on the reduction gear housing. So I guess it was originally the property of the General Post Office (precursor to British Telecom).

The mains switch, a roller-contact type thing was very dirty and someone had jammed a piece of wood under the contact to stop it moving about too much!. There was also a broken-wire from the field-coil of the motor.

Apart from being jammed-up with a wood and oil syrup, the thing is in pretty good condition with no broken metal parts.

The bar will need replacement which may be a problem as I don't think the spares for this saw are available, There is some life left in the chain and I will sharpen it later today. The Oregon chain has 12 on the drive-links, and 20 on the teeth. Not sure what this means. 12 on an Oregon chain isn't in my list!.

Here are a few pictures.....Danarm_Elec1.jpg Danarm_110v_switch.jpg Danarm_110v_chain.jpg
Cheers S B

De-Gunked, cleaned, repaired internal wiring, oiled. motor commutator cleaned, made a new rubber strain-relief. and re-wired the CEE-form power plug.

All checks out OK with my AVO-meter No shorts to chssis etc.

The saw works nicely, I'll sharpen the chain and try it out later today.

So it's 3/8" chipper chain Cool, Still available.? Un-like some of the rather odd chains like on my Danarm tornado .

Cheers Guys.

Sharpened the chain and used it to cut up an old wooden ammo-crate here.
It works BUT boy is it slow compared to even my smallest 2-stroke saws...
I think I'll pop it on the shelf in the workshop and use it on those days when the scream of a
petrol saw would wake-up the neighbours!

So it's 3/8" chipper chain Cool, Still available.? Un-like some of the rather odd chains like on my Danarm tornado .

Cheers Guys.
Probably replace the chain with an Oregon 72DP. That is semi chisel 3/8" .050 gauge. The number 12 chain is listed in a late 1960's catalog and not in an early 1980's catalog.

Great ! And very easy to get locally,
I'll pick up a spare...

Thanks for your help !

Back