I wish...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost every new saw has more power than what it replaced. And they're better on fuel
I tested a new design piston and cylinder for Husqvarna there were like 8 sent here to test decades ago. I tried to buy it but no sale. Soon after the 2101xp came out.

Almost every new saw has more power than what it replaced. And they're better on fuel

I understand that, more power, lighter, smaller and better on fuel. I guess that’s the way the industry is headed. But my old 266se/266xp, 268/268xp I think can still hold their own. With a good sharpened chain. Maybe not.

Your right I always ran extra oil. The crank bearings will be the first thing to fail. Like the 570’s. Too lean. My 240sg was tuned just above fouling plugs and clogging the spark arrestor.

I wish husqvarna and stihl would start producing big bore kits. And hotter coils with adjustable timing. And expansion chamber pipes. And over sized carbs. And a miniature EDM. And aluminum block intakes. And lightened flywheels. And full circle, stroked cranks. And special order crankcases. And special order pistons. And special order cylinders. And oversize sprockets. And race bars. And old rare chain...And the 2101xp.

What did I leave out besides muffler bearings and bar stretchers?
You left out remote start for us guys that are getting older. And cupholders! What good is a chainsaw without cupholders!?

I like to make a jug of coffee early in the morning and every now and then take a drink. This works fine when the sun is shining bright, but when it cools down the cup holder needs to warm it up just right. When the coffee is gone you add the tomato soup so you do not have to go back to the truck. Or maybe a microwave and there must be something else. Thanks

Jim, what’s so special about a 2101 that the 2100 doesn’t have too? What were the improvements of the 2101 vs 2100.? I’ve owned both, didnt notice the difference but never thought about my 2100 with the gov plugged and the timing advanced.

The manufacturers don’t see the demand in new parts. While there’s a market it’s not getting the word back to Husqvarna. There all interested in marketing new products for the quick profit.

My engineering company was interested in new products they didn’t see the amount of money retro fitting the older products. It’s a multi million dollar thing now they do it.
A couple things I know off the top are the av and piston.

Your right I always ran extra oil. The crank bearings will be the first thing to fail. Like the 570’s. Too lean. My 240sg was tuned just above fouling plugs and clogging the spark arrestor.

I have my thoughts as to what will allow an engine to last through hundreds of cords of wood now Husky is saying we need to add extra oil for a saw motor to last a long time. The older saws need extra oil but the new ones do not. It looks to me that all saws fall into this category as to what the engines need. The metal parts and design all look the same. With EPA requirements the only change that I see is to ensure that the mixture or adjustments is not to rich or lean causing more pollution than necessary. As far as what Husky thinks does not matter as what others think. He believes mixture with plenty of oil is best. I would caution him to understand that too much excess oil or fuel will cause extra carbon which can be equally as detrimental as too little. Thanks

I have my thoughts as to what will allow an engine to last through hundreds of cords of wood now Husky is saying we need to add extra oil for a saw motor to last a long time. The older saws need extra oil but the new ones do not. It looks to me that all saws fall into this category as to what the engines need. The metal parts and design all look the same. With EPA requirements the only change that I see is to ensure that the mixture or adjustments is not to rich or lean causing more pollution than necessary. As far as what Husky thinks does not matter as what others think. He believes mixture with plenty of oil is best. I would caution him to understand that too much excess oil or fuel will cause extra carbon which can be equally as detrimental as too little. Thanks
With the new FD rated oils, adding more oil to the mix can actually wash carbon off the piston and combustion chamber. If you're getting carbon build-up in a saw motor or in the muffler I'd change oil brands.
The newer strato engines send 20-30% less mix through the bottom end, so more oil in the mix and proper tune will extend the life of the bearings

Back