Tree service expert?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that was clearing a small lot to build his house. Went by to see what he had going on and he was doing that sloped back cut. He said it was to keep the tree from kicking back off the stump after the hinge broke loose. I showed him the correct way to fall a tree and tried to explain why.

The humbolt face cut is to push the tree forward once the hinge breaks. The open face will keep the hinge from ever coming together and breaking off, which will keep the tree connected to the stump.

Not sure but I think in PA if you have a tape measure and a pencil you’re a contractor. You have a Wild Thing you’re a tree service. They tried to license all businesses in the state but around my area there are more fly by night tree services than there are mosquitoes. MD sounds like it’s pretty well watched.
Just cause the skeeters are out, don’t mean they are legal. Since PA borders MD, and I’m in Western MD not far from the border, I think I looked into reciprocity between the two states. They would not honor my MD license. But, I also think their regulations are much the same as ours. I seem to remember them giving me a date, time, and place to take their test. We had more than enough work for our little two crew business, so I tried to stay South of the Mason Dixon.

I have a friend that was clearing a small lot to build his house. Went by to see what he had going on and he was doing that sloped back cut. He said it was to keep the tree from kicking back off the stump after the hinge broke loose. I showed him the correct way to fall a tree and tried to explain why.

The humbolt face cut is to push the tree forward once the hinge breaks. The open face will keep the hinge from ever coming together and breaking off, which will keep the tree connected to the stump.
We always used a conventional notch. If we were in a big flower bed with big azealias, or other plants we didn’t want damaged, we would put a nice round stick, or on a big tree, an ax handle, on the flat part of the notch almost to the edge. Pending on how fast you pulled it over, when the notch smacked closed on the stick, it would jump out over the desirable plants. We would put the notch a little higher than the plants. If the notch was three to four feet high, you could jump the log six to eight feet straight out.

Not sure but I think in PA if you have a tape measure and a pencil you’re a contractor. You have a Wild Thing you’re a tree service. They tried to license all businesses in the state but around my area there are more fly by night tree services than there are mosquitoes. MD sounds like it’s pretty well watched.

If Maryland excels at anything, then it's bureaucracy... I used to live there....

Back