Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one I never have seen before....Was trying to cut a notch with the Poulan and the chain kept peeling off the bar down by the saw. Couldn't figure it out. Finally swapped chains and it cut perfectly. All of the cutters on one side were dull and was pulling the cut to one side.
Found a rock, I did that before...rock imbedded in the trunk of a tree. Ground all the cutters on one side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dinged the second 18" loop bucking up that chimney tree trunk. I heard it and knew right away. Was able to finish the project swapping between the two saws.
What did you do, cut an inch with one curving to the right, then an inch with the other curving to the left :laughing:.
Theres a little trick I use when I have to make do with a half dull chain or one that the rakers were not filed properly on. I will cut until it starts to bind, then pull the saw towards me, kind of a reverse bore cut, then bore back in and keep cutting. It works pretty well in a "pinch":lol:.

Delivered 2 more 1/2 cords of wood today (just like the last one), trailer lights are working great!

Then, cut up a large Sugar Maple trunk (at the same location) that had come down in a storm and was already topped. The base was over 30" in diameter, then a V about 5' up. It was straddling a rock wall, and on the other side was a steep downhill and a house/car/kids so we could not let anything get away from us.

We put some logs across to block any rollers, then I shorted up the V legs, and cut the remainder 1/2 way through - firewood length. Then took my Peavy and flipped it over off the wall and finished cutting it. When I started to noodle it, my 660 hit something, so I will finish it another day. My 660 and 462 both got good workouts on it.

Sorry, no pics! I'm glad I was able to do everything I did today, but I would be lying if I told you that I was not sore afterwards. Guess I'm just not getting any younger!

I got a call from my TreeCo buddy Jeff yesterday , he wanted to know what I was up too this weekend , told him I was going to back to that strip we cut and try to get another load or 2 .
He said "We've got plenty of time on that one so here's an addy that I need you to go to."
I guess it qualifies as a scrounge of sorts , Hurricane Dorian knocked down a couple of dozen popple at this older couple's house .
Jeff had been there earlier and dropped a few , I ran 4 tank fulls through the Ryobi 2.0 dropping some leaning popple and then blocking them up , after that I split the rounds that Jeff blocked .

WcJ7NrO.jpg

DU7XWKh.jpg

I call it a scrounge for the homeowner , they burn wood and were already 2 years ahead with maple and oak .
But, since they know this is go'fer wood they'll burn this spring and fall .
Polly be 5 cord of popple when we're done .

View from the 'yak this morning. Just a few car-ha-why's that went back. The start of daylight savings time here today heralds the influx of sun seekers that rises to a chaotic crescendo towards the end of the year, so the opportunities for an unmolested sunrise paddle like this dry up for quite a few months. Glad to slip this one in while most were snoozing.
view.jpg

It's been hot here! 90 yesterday and supposed to be the same til Thursday. Then it looks like fall weather will finally be here! Today were swimming at my wife's grandparents pool before they close it down.

I plan to bring up a trailer load of wood when I go down to the field to check chickens this morning.

It was hot here yesterday too think it was around 90, But got done work early and had some helpers available. Been watching this red oak die over the last couple years hoping maybe it would be ok nope it was time. Don't know if it qualifies as a scrounge, right next to the ol pile lol.

Ujv6UGg.jpg

lvVjlRw.jpg

ZToyqPz.jpg

I diced up another locust here at the house with the ms201cm rear handle(ms201c-em iirc).
Also pushed another one a little larger over in its place. You can see the butt of the other one as I left it so I can try to get the root ball out, but it will probably break up since it was damaged by the storm. Hoping I can get that one bucked up today along with a few others as well as pull a locust hanger down.
I've put quite a few large buckets of wood on the green wood pile, not that I wanted to even make a green wood pile, but the storm damage isn't helping :rare2:.
Also got a bunch of whit oak coming from my parents place. I ran a tank thru the 550 mk2 over there yesterday as well as a couple here at the house. It cuts for a long time on a tank, I like the saw a lot, real winner from husky on this one :numberone:.
Here's the locust I pushed down yesterday.
View attachment 762330
This is the one I cut up yesterday and a video for inquiring minds.
Keep in mind this locust is half dead/seasoned, you can see how much it speeds up on the wood that has more live cambium. The video with the ms200 was in green red oak and this saw would hang pretty close to the 200t in the same wood, and if it was modded slightly(it's 100% stock) it would surpass the 200 even with the 200 having a MM.

Thanks for posting that up chipper...... Like all good wives I think you have to many saws and should sell one of them to me.:)

Latest posts

Back