Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez that was a good van :)
Sure fit the what I needed when I was on the mend and gave me a goal to fill when I needed it .
My 2000 Ef2fiddy is in rough shape but was a good trailer hauler , the prob with it is that it's a Heinz 57 , a fella built it from 5 worn out plow trucks several years ago , even has a Merican dash in mph Lol
Lately it's gotten temperamental with no power when it decides to so I've been hunting for a replacement , my 500$ Nissan Versa doesn't have a trailer hitch Lol
Should have a new hauler next week , a nice new to me 2000 Ef3fiddy , 2wd but it should haul the trailer :)
I hear those 2000 ef3fiddies are nice trucks. Cant go wrong with the 7.3 either

Damn - some of you guys cut a lot of wood!

Did some tornado cleanup last month in NE Wisconsin, and a couple of weeks ago in Sioux Falls, SD. Might get to do some this weekend near Wheaton, WI.

Philbert
Are you in town on Monday morning? I may end up coming down after all

Well finally got the chainsaw milled roof boards on my woodshed extension, now ready for tar paper and shingles59CAFF81-0986-4F6F-A571-72CF9C048DEB.jpeg

They are saying rain/snow this weekend so figured I’d try to get another load while the weather was nice. Found some nice dead standing red fir, on the uphill side of the road..61860E44-1EF3-4BB8-A4B5-23788BC0D74D.jpegpretty nice dense stuffDBAA83BB-C259-4FB7-B1F6-9563EB53B82B.jpeggot little run time on the 550 too, took forever for it to break in but sure is impressive for its size now4EECD367-4BDB-4A84-9FE9-5FBC88D5C079.jpeg417F0642-F880-42F9-97D9-9EC0684CB941.jpeg BE13E05B-D136-4D38-A172-364B74028FFB.jpegLunch time9F1FA89A-B3D1-4F0C-8429-A98DAD700C85.jpegStarting to get some fall colors FD3379DD-2D9D-41E5-82B5-B38A244CB866.jpeg

Burning some scraps and trying to get caught up on the firewood scrounge thread now :)04EE29FF-918F-461F-B2F7-87987985B481.jpeg

Well finally got the chainsaw milled roof boards on my woodshed extension, now ready for tar paper and shinglesView attachment 762228

They are saying rain/snow this weekend so figured I’d try to get another load while the weather was nice. Found some nice dead standing red fir, on the uphill side of the road..View attachment 762238pretty nice dense stuffView attachment 762239got little run time on the 550 too, took forever for it to break in but sure is impressive for its size nowView attachment 762240View attachment 762241 View attachment 762242Lunch timeView attachment 762243Starting to get some fall colors View attachment 762244

Burning some scraps and trying to get caught up on the firewood scrounge thread now :)View attachment 762245
Great pics as usual

Well today is part two for our road association work crew. We have about 250 yards of roadway left to cut from the last workday in late August. It is 28 degrees outside on it's way to a high 53 today so a great one for working in the woods. If you remember, the group is me, a guy in his mid 50's and a bunch of old guys. And the one old guy who is a contractor can't make it today.

Can verify this. I was fishing off a jetty with my brother in law a couple of years ago and he caught something that didn't fight back - we assumed it was just a big stick. Turned out to be a human femur. We released it and sure enough, it didn't float.
Some friends of my dad were fishing in southern Canada. They hooked something that was heavy but slowly came to the surface. It was a drowned native that they caught by his flannel shirt.

They let the bail loose and he sunk. They dropped a fishing buoy there and ran the line to shore and tied it to a tree so the authorities could find it easier.

What species of trees are you primarily cutting out there?
Mostly red fir (Douglas fir) and second would be lodge pole pine. Little bit of tamarack (larch), it is said to be the best here but there’s not much available.

Oh and the occasional prime spruce:sweet:

I diced up another locust here at the house with the ms201cm rear handle(ms201c-em iirc).
Also pushed another one a little larger over in its place. You can see the butt of the other one as I left it so I can try to get the root ball out, but it will probably break up since it was damaged by the storm. Hoping I can get that one bucked up today along with a few others as well as pull a locust hanger down.
I've put quite a few large buckets of wood on the green wood pile, not that I wanted to even make a green wood pile, but the storm damage isn't helping :rare2:.
Also got a bunch of whit oak coming from my parents place. I ran a tank thru the 550 mk2 over there yesterday as well as a couple here at the house. It cuts for a long time on a tank, I like the saw a lot, real winner from husky on this one :numberone:.
Here's the locust I pushed down yesterday.
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.52.01 AM.png
This is the one I cut up yesterday and a video for inquiring minds.
Keep in mind this locust is half dead/seasoned, you can see how much it speeds up on the wood that has more live cambium. The video with the ms200 was in green red oak and this saw would hang pretty close to the 200t in the same wood, and if it was modded slightly(it's 100% stock) it would surpass the 200 even with the 200 having a MM.

Cut a bunch of brush and a few rocks this morning working in the road association crew.

At one point we had 4 saws out and only one was running. Got two of the other three figured out and the last one was the one I was fixing and the owner had put the wrong chain on it.

One of the guys offered me several of his yard trees (mostly easy falls) for firewood and I told him we would get them down in the spring.

Back