Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MustangMike I hear you about trailer lights. I fought with mine all last year. They wouldn't work at first, then they would, then they'd flash. I knew had to be the ground. I had to replace one of the lights anyway since it was broken. I ended up just buying one of those trailer light kits. Sure made it easier and saved some time. About a hour and I had it all done instead of chasing things. I did it right the first time. Now they work perfectly every time. Knock on wood. I think before the trailer was grounding through the trailer ball and hitch to the truck. That's why they wouldn't work at first, but then as I drove they would once it got good contact.

MustangMike I hear you about trailer lights. I fought with mine all last year. They wouldn't work at first, then they would, then they'd flash. I knew had to be the ground. I had to replace one of the lights anyway since it was broken. I ended up just buying one of those trailer light kits. Sure made it easier and saved some time. About a hour and I had it all done instead of chasing things. I did it right the first time. Now they work perfectly every time. Knock on wood. I think before the trailer was grounding through the trailer ball and hitch to the truck. That's why they wouldn't work at first, but then as I drove they would once it got good contact.
I've fought with trailer lights before, I had the critters eat the insulation off the wire, too many failed scotch locks and crimp connectors, light sockets rusted or loose, wires wear through...the last one I ran in flexible conduit, terminated in steel electrical boxes, all soldered connections.

This is what I found under the rear of the new hauler...
09493bd41b0a3b4973d2db0ff192c877.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've fought with trailer lights before, I had the critters eat the insulation off the wire, too many failed scotch locks and crimp connectors, light sockets rusted or loose, wires wear through...the last one I ran in flexible conduit, terminated in steel electrical boxes, all soldered connections.

This is what I found under the rear of the new hauler...
09493bd41b0a3b4973d2db0ff192c877.jpg

Been there!

I try to splice together but eventually the wiring fails and I just re-run the whole thing with new wire.

I noticed my wood hauling trailer has two running lights and one brake/turn functional so I will fix the other one tomorrow. Honestly 3 out of 4 isnt bad though LOL.

Been there!

I try to splice together but eventually the wiring fails and I just re-run the whole thing with new wire.

I noticed my wood hauling trailer has two running lights and one brake/turn functional so I will fix the other one tomorrow. Honestly 3 out of 4 isnt bad though LOL.
I had trouble with boat trailer last year. Went to Rural King and got a new wiring harness for $15, same brand at auto parts store was $30, and set of LED lights and ready to go in an hour.

I buy the 5.99 tail/signal lights as they tend to get broken frequently on the wood hauler due to backing it in the woods, dropping rounds, helpers who aren’t careful, and such. If I had a nicer trailer I’d definitely go LED
Yep, different critter. The trailer I bought this year for wood has LED lights and the tail lights are built into the rear cross brace.

Will oil this arvo. Feet are 4" and use a sliding dovetail to take in and out for transport.
When I ran out of timber I had to ask mate if he could give me some for "my" drawer build. When I visited to collect it was T&G he had saved from refitting a bank about 20 years ago. So, yeah, I recycled a bit more than the timber :)

IMG_20190928_094033.jpg

IMG_20190928_093955.jpg

I buy the 5.99 tail/signal lights as they tend to get broken frequently on the wood hauler due to backing it in the woods, dropping rounds, helpers who aren’t careful, and such. If I had a nicer trailer I’d definitely go LED
I bought the armored mounts for mine, take a pretty good piece of wood from a good height to make me worry...

I did buy a backrack for the Silverado after my helper (wifey) threw a couple pieces against the back window...

Latest posts

Back