Building modded mufflers for professional fallers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been building and selling MM kits to local loggers for a bit. They are popular as long as they can keep from burning the world down. Forest Service requires spark arrestors on federal lands, same with state. 87% of Idaho is one or the other. I thought I would try my hand at selling them on eBay as well. Hence this batch.

MM Kits.jpg

I giggle when I read or hear someone say liability involving saw mufflers and fire...as if it is totally acceptable to start a fire with a stock unmodded muffler.

I fully agree with those who don't see the point of owning ported saw just to run a second faster cut. Also, I don't see the point of porting a saw just to make it a second faster, lol.
Do all you big talkers drive a Prius? What y'all got under the hood out in your driveway???

I giggle when I read or hear someone say liability involving saw mufflers and fire...as if it is totally acceptable to start a fire with a stock unmodded muffler.

I fully agree with those who don't see the point of owning ported saw just to run a second faster cut. Also, I don't see the point of porting a saw just to make it a second faster, lol.
Do all you big talkers drive a Prius? What y'all got under the hood out in your driveway???

I don't know about you, but I worry about fires all the time. Living in timber will drive that beast. I don't get what yer bitchin about though, this is a thread about MMing saws. Who cares if you don't mod yours?

ANd my pickup has an 8.1L in it, you saying yours is bigger? We stepping back into that subject matter?

I don't know about you, but I worry about fires all the time. Living in timber will drive that beast. I don't get what yer bitchin about though, this is a thread about MMing saws. Who cares if you don't mod yours?

ANd my pickup has an 8.1L in it, you saying yours is bigger? We stepping back into that subject matter?
Wait a second...who's ******** here? Lol

BTW..I was in the middle of pm'ing you about buying a bunch of those muffler deflectors when I checked the alert to read this.

From my observations of users on this site there is only a few types that most fit into.

1. New guy new saw - Does muffler mod and ports the saw and disappears.
2. Guy ports saw and cuts 1 inch wafers on YouTube recording 1/100 second differences.
3. 1 + 2 = 3 Brand new looking saw (shelf queen) shows up in trading area for sale. Great saw, low hours, need money to port even newer saw. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Nobody knows if a ported saw cuts faster in the wilderness, because ported saws live on a shelf after a short demo in the driveway.
So are you number 3 with that ms880 in your signature? ;)

The loggers and pulpers around here think it is silly to port and modify your saw to cut a second faster.
Well as the old saying goes. "You have to keep up with the Jones's" ...And if the Jones's are just running stock OR ported saws then what 'they' are not doing would be silly. No?

I could take either side of a debate on the matter. Having worked with mult saw sizes through all activities in the forest industy as well Gas and oil and Utility, Private and residential.
I mean that's like being " a Gentleman a scollar a bucking horse rider and a fair judge of C* " in comperission. No?

My first ported saw were in '92 from Walkers saw shop. I had my own contract on a tree thinning job in a Central BC wet belt. All the snags and spike top cedar had to be felled though most of the job was thinning saplings.

I cooked my 262 not tunning it back falling a large snag; which was my every day fav saw for all jobs up that way.
I also had a 266 and a 42.

Took a week off for my Sisters wedding and dropped all three saws off for porting &/or maintanence. I only wanted the 266 & 262 ported but he wouldn't port the 262 after I cooked it but replaced the piston and saved the cylinder. I picked them up and I was disappointed because the one I was wanting back to use, didn't get ported.
I didn't want the 42 ported but they ported that too. My first two ported saws and neither one was the one that's going to make me the most money, at least not in that territory. I go to a job on north west Vancouver Island and I have to use the 266. I get a new ported 262 and I'm making more money again when vigerasly maneuvering a ported saw that's a pound less that could not have done that job otherwise.
It's about balancing to make the max.
Seconds are made here and lost there.
I was taught by a brilliant man in the first five minutes of the first tree thinner job I was one and that was.. "If you have 10,000 stems per hectare (one tree per square metre).. (4,000 per acre ) and you save 1 seconds 'per cut' 'then that's 10,000 seconds which is almost 3hours". Per cut does not mean in the cut by all means. You get so much a hectare and you can do it in a day instead of a day and a half by saving a second per move on average.
Realty puts it into perspective.

In cases with small material
the 'fastest saw' is not necessarily a ported saw but without porting , at times you have to go to a 'slower saw'. (mumbo jumbo..it makes sense)

Part2
The same concept of saving seconds is bread into me to compete. Saws are like pro boxing, weight divisions are only pounds apart these day. Porting is the steroids.. and I like my steroids.
Truth is you can get a HP with a MM with some saws alone and very quick response. Many of my ported 372's against 372 has cut 3 blocks to two when I was doing fall and burn in 16- 20" Pine Perhaps I file a bit better but its will sway further to the ported saw as the wood increases.

Does not have the time to be on a forum ! These men after a day of running a saw do not want to even discuss saws. I have been told this a many a time.
Many different activities, industries and responsibilities so this very well CAN hold true. Heli Falling first growth on the coast in a
camp, we lay around like cats all day. Just eat and sleep. You are only out 7 hours and having soup and a nap at 3:00pm
If the weather is good? Sometimes it's too much rainfall in 24 hours (day off) or windy or fog. I have dressed and undressed 4 times in a day and not got my rocks off. frustrating! .. On top of all that, you work 2-3 weeks (your choice) and have one off. 900-1300 hour saw hours per year. I sure don't want to fix saws. In summer I have been back in town at 11:30am after a days work.
You made this comment in front of people that do it for a living before?
It's all subject to change

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-makes-someone-a-logger.307622/page-2

Well as the old saying goes. "You have to keep up with the Jones's" ...And if the Jones's are just running stock OR ported saws then what 'they' are not doing would be silly. No?

I could take either side of a debate on the matter. Having worked with mult saw sizes through all activities in the forest industy as well Gas and oil and Utility, Private and residential.
I mean that's like being " a Gentleman a scollar a bucking horse rider and a fair judge of C* " in comperission. No?

My first ported saw were in '92 from Walkers saw shop. I had my own contract on a tree thinning job in a Central BC wet belt. All the snags and spike top cedar had to be felled though most of the job was thinning saplings.

I cooked my 262 not tunning it back falling a large snag; which was my every day fav saw for all jobs up that way.
I also had a 266 and a 42.

Took a week off for my Sisters wedding and dropped all three saws off for porting &/or maintanence. I only wanted the 266 & 262 ported but he wouldn't port the 262 after I cooked it but replaced the piston and saved the cylinder. I picked them up and I was disappointed because the one I was wanting back to use, didn't get ported.
I didn't want the 42 ported but they ported that too. My first two ported saws and neither one was the one that's going to make me the most money, at least not in that territory. I go to a job on north west Vancouver Island and I have to use the 266. I get a new ported 262 and I'm making more money again when vigerasly maneuvering a ported saw that's a pound less that could not have done that job otherwise.
It's about balancing to make the max.
Seconds are made here and lost there.
I was taught by a brilliant man in the first five minutes of the first tree thinner job I was one and that was.. "If you have 10,000 stems per hectare (one tree per square metre).. (4,000 per acre ) and you save 1 seconds 'per cut' 'then that's 10,000 seconds which is almost 3hours". Per cut does not mean in the cut by all means. You get so much a hectare and you can do it in a day instead of a day and a half by saving a second per move on average.
Realty puts it into perspective.

In cases with small material
the 'fastest saw' is not necessarily a ported saw but without porting , at times you have to go to a 'slower saw'. (mumbo jumbo..it makes sense)

Part2
The same concept of saving seconds is bread into me to compete. Saws are like pro boxing, weight divisions are only pounds apart these day. Porting is the steroids.. and I like my steroids.
Truth is you can get a HP with a MM with some saws alone and very quick response. Many of my ported 372's against 372 has cut 3 blocks to two when I was doing fall and burn in 16- 20" Pine Perhaps I file a bit better but its will sway further to the ported saw as the wood increases.

Many different activities, industries and responsibilities so this very well CAN hold true. Heli Falling first growth on the coast in a
camp, we lay around like cats all day. Just eat and sleep. You are only out 7 hours and having soup and a nap at 3:00pm
If the weather is good? Sometimes it's too much rainfall in 24 hours (day off) or windy or fog. I have dressed and undressed 4 times in a day and not got my rocks off. frustrating! .. On top of all that, you work 2-3 weeks (your choice) and have one off. 900-1300 hour saw hours per year. I sure don't want to fix saws. In summer I have been back in town at 11:30am after a days work.
You made this comment in front of people that do it for a living before?
It's all subject to change

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-makes-someone-a-logger.307622/page-2
These men work at various jobs from the landing to falling on the lands non-accessable for skidders -loaders.Some are tree service men that as a saw enthusiast I see in saw shops.

These men work at various jobs from the landing to falling on the lands non-accessable for skidders -loaders.Some are tree service men that as a saw enthusiast I see in saw shops.
I have unique experience as its a wide range. Yeah mountain pine beetle jobs where you are payed for what you felled,bucked and burned were tough.
Long snowmoble rides plus 2 1/5 hour drives each way at times. often 2 hours. It was dark at 5 and then you go around and kick fires and get back at 9:30pm Hard to even feed yourself properly. Definitely not on line on those jobs.[/QUOTE]

Here's the way I roll. Logs loaded onto the trailer with the loader. Cut up there, then lowered onto the splitter. As long as the stacker can keep up, he doesn't have to bend over either. This was a custom job for a friend who likes huge splits. Normally I make them considerably smaller, but you get the point. Definitely room for improvement, no question about that, but it's not back breaking.

What’s the stroke on that splitter?

What’s the stroke on that splitter?

It's a 36". I burn 32" pieces in my syrup cooker, so the long stroke and auto cycle were critical in the design. I do need some stop donuts or some other way to limit the stroke for splitting stove length wood.

I had a couple 201t’s come through recently that had sneaky modded mufflers so they could work on the Paradise Fire Cleanup.

Same guy had a 372 that he swore was modded. It sounded weird but ran pretty well. Turns out the muffler had gills cut into the mounting bolt tubes. Clever idea but not good for fire prevention. Nobody really cares out there, it’s all ashes already.

Back