Building modded mufflers for professional fallers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The loggers and pulpers around here think it is silly to port and modify your saw to cut a second faster ! Does not have the time to be on a forum ! These men after a day of running a saw do not want to even discuss saws. I have been told this a many a time. It makes sense. The last thing I want to talk about after crawling around under a house all day is plumbing! Oh ! By the way. There are 2 major paper mills either side of me. Domtar to the north and IP to the south. It is major timber territory here!
I run many a sheet of Domtar bond through a printing press, around here it depends on the kind of trees they cut. where I hunt is all pines and owned by paper companies, I have talked to them several times. they use feller bunchers and no saws. one guy told me he don't even own a saw. now if you get in the big hardwoods they use saws, some are ported some are not. I don't own a ported saw but I can see where faster means more board feet and more profit.

I was also like you when I got home I didn't want to talk about presses or stuff I did all day. Probably why I joined gun and chainsaw forums instead of printing forums.lol

Looks familiar. Looks like my ms290.
Yah at 42cc that insane-0 ported Saw will cut circles around a MS 290 at 55cc ... I know , I started with a 290 - decent saws for a farmer / weekend cutter but not enuff juice for the weight , also a clamshell design which is not preferred for performance ... here’s a hot-woods ported 261c that’ll beat up on a 390/391 ... 50cc vs 64cc

You ported a 42cc saw? Wow!

Yah at 42cc that insane-0 ported Saw will cut circles around a MS 290 at 55cc ... I know , I started with a 290 - decent saws for a farmer / weekend cutter but not enuff juice for the weight , also a clamshell design which is not preferred for performance ... here’s a hot-woods ported 261c that’ll beat up on a 390/391 ... 50cc vs 64cc

From my observations of users on this site there is only a few types that most fit into.

1. New guy new saw - Does muffler mod and ports the saw and disappears.
2. Guy ports saw and cuts 1 inch wafers on YouTube recording 1/100 second differences.
3. 1 + 2 = 3 Brand new looking saw (shelf queen) shows up in trading area for sale. Great saw, low hours, need money to port even newer saw. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Nobody knows if a ported saw cuts faster in the wilderness, because ported saws live on a shelf after a short demo in the driveway.

I have 5 ported saws that I use almost daily. I cut a lot of firewood, and I use saws doing side work for several friends. Running ported saws makes my job more fun. More productive too? Sure, probably. I could just go to a bigger powerhead for the task at hand to increase productivity, though the weight savings is nice. Mostly it's the fun factor though. If I can be working, but be constantly amazed at how well these little saws run, then why wouldn't I?

The law in Oregon states, “-a stock exhaust system and screen with < .023 inch holes.”

How are people modding mufflers to comply with this law? Are fallers following this law? Could I put a 1” pipe muffler on a 372 with screen and be okay? Is it as simple as no you cannot run a modded muffler period?

On the saws I run on the farm I hack them as I had said before, a tube up and away to the PTO side. The pro loggers here that use saws on the private lands don't care, they will run modded mufflers as I do. The one's that cut on state lands is another story, they too have to have spark arrestors when they actually use saws. Most of my customers who operate on state lands insist on being complaint while on a state job with their equipment. So I have done a few things, one add a hole with a deflector and screen or simply keep things stock. Also had built a "cap" with a screen for my "tubes" held in with a pair of sheet metal screws...ugly but allowed them to put something on while in the State lands..For the most part the loggers here with soft wood have feller buncher operations. Most who are on state lands fall into that mechanical category. As I said the ones who mostly run saws are logging private lands, usually the larger dairy farm properties. They don't care as much about compliance. :) So I guess to your question it depends on who's looking over your shoulder

I get the fun factor. I cut a lot of wood also, and most of my time is spent in back breaking moving, splitting and stacking of the wood. Once I figure out how to minimize that which occupies 90% of my time and effort, I will then look into optimizing the remaining 10%.

Now Frank Rizzo, is all about time and effort (not fun -- time is money? :muscle:), and has gone so far as to invest in porting a 42cc saw, where he could have just picked up a more powerful saw. I guess the extra 8oz is really a big factor for him. Maybe it is just me, but once the saw is cutting, I am not feeling any weight, as the saw is fully resting/cutting into the log. Top down cutting.

I have 5 ported saws that I use almost daily. I cut a lot of firewood, and I use saws doing side work for several friends. Running ported saws makes my job more fun. More productive too? Sure, probably. I could just go to a bigger powerhead for the task at hand to increase productivity, though the weight savings is nice. Mostly it's the fun factor though. If I can be working, but be constantly amazed at how well these little saws run, then why wouldn't I?

I get the fun factor. I cut a lot of wood also, and most of my time is spent in back breaking moving, splitting and stacking of the wood. Once I figure out how to minimize that which occupies 90% of my time and effort, I will then look into optimizing the remaining 10%.
Cut logs into chunk ; hand dolly chunks to hoist ; hoist to machine and split — necessity is the mother of invention ! Eliminates 90% of the “back-breaking labor “ Can cut/split a seasons worth (8-10 face) of heating wood with 2 men in 4-5 hours ... from log to split into a pile and NO sore back

So, hypothetically, it's not "fire season" and there's an indecent involving your MM or port modified saw.
Imagine the liability...
By trade I'm an Electrician. Buzz words that we live by are "listed and approved" for the purpose.
Once a saw is modified the UL listing is out the window, just saying.

Again, Wow!

You sure do have it all figured out.

Cut logs into chunk ; hand dolly chunks to hoist ; hoist to machine and split — necessity is the mother of invention ! Eliminates 90% of the “back-breaking labor “ Can cut/split a seasons worth (8-10 face) of heating wood with 2 men in 4-5 hours ... from log to split into a pile and NO sore back

Again, Wow!

You sure do have it all figured out.
Lol ... You “figure it out” quickly when it’s YOUR back that’s takin a beating ! Grizzly tools sells a roller-conveyor that may be of use with a 3 man operation

Here's the way I roll. Logs loaded onto the trailer with the loader. Cut up there, then lowered onto the splitter. As long as the stacker can keep up, he doesn't have to bend over either. This was a custom job for a friend who likes huge splits. Normally I make them considerably smaller, but you get the point. Definitely room for improvement, no question about that, but it's not back breaking.

You don't like? You never complained about the lame penis jokes back on page 1. Hmmmmmm......
Just because you don't like ported saws doesn't mean everyone does, guess you think they should be banned like you do certain guns you don't like. sheesh, you do realize this is a logging forum too. not everyone here just cuts firewood like you and me. You are one of the biggest liberal hypocrites on this site. You don't like ported saws? fine. you don't like certain guns? fine. stop putting em down cause you don't see a need for them.

Here's the way I roll. Logs loaded onto the trailer with the loader. Cut up there, then lowered onto the splitter. As long as the stacker can keep up, he doesn't have to bend over either. This was a custom job for a friend who likes huge splits. Normally I make them considerably smaller, but you get the point. Definitely room for improvement, no question about that, but it's not back breaking.

Or they could move to San Diego.

Lots of solutions out there, not all work the same in all situations.

For me building saws and wanting to run them is yet another way to enjoy retirement and the woods section of my farm...doesn't matter if its a stock saw, vintage saw, ported saw or a Chinese clone, I do all of that from time to time;...typically I built it for fun and then need a reason to enjoy it...I only burn 10-12 (full) cords a year so the rest of the time it's either clearing fence & trail or culling trees to get a tri-axe load or three out for fun money. Efficiency? I split all my wood by hand..:) Sounds pretty dumb right? I can afford to buy any processing equipment I choose, or get the inefficient hard way exercise. I choose exercise. Heart attack prevention and saw recreation is the goal for my saw & splitting operations, side benefits is a warm house, not having to buy oil since 2006, and a happy wife ( when the house is warm) and some fun money when I sell saw logs, saws, or repairs. Get paid to play? And I appreciate those who aren't afraid to build or mod their own saws...takes skills. But I also understand folks like most of my customers who aren't interested in a screamer. Different strokes....and all that rot. Have to say I respect someone who does their own way more than the guy who only rolls out bought modded saws, trophy saws :) But really most of the community around this set of interest is pretty cool as well, regardless on how they get their saws. Just my humble opinion, nothing more.

Back