What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use aluminum. This was my first time using machinable plastic. Kinda spendy
Ya, quick search is saying around $27 a foot for 2 1/2" UHMW delivered.

I was able to salvage about 25' of 4" 4140 stress relieved and really didn't want to use that for slugs if I could use something else.

Guy on eBay sells every shape of aluminum you’ll need and ships fast. “6061dude” is his eBay name. Also sells through amazon.

I forget what length my mandrels but it’s in the neighborhood of 9” and you can use both ends. I maybe have six mandrels which really is 12” and so far I haven’t had to order anymore since my initial purchase.

6061 is more or less pure aluminum isn't it? It melts and morph like lead when drilling it, kinda soft compared the the 7xxx tool aluminum or what?
I bought a 6061 6mm plate once to machine in to parts, what a waste of money for that purpose.

6061 is more or less pure aluminum isn't it? It melts and morph like lead when drilling it, kinda soft compared the the 7xxx tool aluminum or what?
I bought a 6061 6mm plate once to machine in to parts, what a waste of money for that purpose.

I'm not sure. I've bought round stock and plate from that guy and haven't had an issues machining or drilling it.

I'm not sure. I've bought round stock and plate from that guy and haven't had an issues machining or drilling it.
Do some read up on aluminum, if you don't know the difference or are unhappy with the results then you don't need it any different for your use, sir.
There is a tremendous difference from hard aluminum alloy to pure and soft aluminum though, most important to know if you 're gonna use it for parts.

Do some read up on aluminum, if you don't know the difference or are unhappy with the results then you don't need it any different for your use, sir.
There is a tremendous difference from hard aluminum alloy to pure and soft aluminum though, most important to know if you 're gonna use it for parts in my experience.

Ic. I've never been un-happy with it so far. I just use it for mandrels and backing plates.

I might get some aluminum from that guy and try making a velocity stack adapter for my 048, unless one of you guys knows about a commercially available v-stack angle adaptor for stihl’s slanted carbs.

I might get some aluminum from that guy and try making a velocity stack adapter for my 048, unless one of you guys knows about a commercially available v-stack angle adaptor for stihl’s slanted carbs.

Stoekle stacks on Facebook or the other equipment site 3d prints stacks. Not sure if he has one for an 048 but be worth asking. https://www.facebook.com/stoeckelstacks/

Thanks! It's a labor of love I guess. I figured 044's in nice shape are getting hard to come by so i would give it the respect it deserves.... until i find something else I want and need money for. Then she'll go down the road like all those before her.

welcome to the club lol.

Better thought! Send it my way for some customization and port work :rock::laugh:

welcome to the club lol.

Better thought! Send it my way for some customization and port work :rock::laugh:
I had considered doing that at one point but I knew I wouldn't keep it or use it enough to justify the cost. I may actually get rid of it soon because i have 3 other 70cc class saws and honestly prefer the nostalgia of running a PM 700.

IMG_20200114_155601.jpg

Another Husqvarna 50, this time with a 55 cc big bore kit.
This one had the cylinder base that was large enough to accept the larger cylinder, early blocks cannot.
Setup with base gasket delete and muffler mod, runs nice. You have to use a late model chain brake/sprocket cover if you want to use the decompression valve, early ones will block it like this one does.

IMG_20200114_160646.jpg

Back