Alert Jred saws on eBay not as advertised

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's a stupid (Husky/Jon Noob) question:

Is it normal for the chain brake to make a faint bell-ringing sound and a loud crack when pushed forward to engage?

I put on the bar and chain, put the cover back on, tensioned it, tightened.

Everything functions as it should. The chain turns nicely by hand, the brake stops it from turning. But there's this frightful noise like I'm torturing that spring when I push the bar forward. When I disengage it's a much quieter, normal sort of click.

The only other saw I've owned was a Stihl pro model about 20 years ago. Can't remember it making this kind of noise lol. Used a few others and can't recall a noise like that. Is it a husky thing or should I just back away slowly?

OK, here's a stupid (Husky/Jon Noob) question:

Is it normal for the chain brake to make a faint bell-ringing sound and a loud crack when pushed forward to engage?

It's normal, the 460 husky we have at does that, my tanaka does it, and my other saws do it.

I put on the bar and chain, put the cover back on, tensioned it, tightened.

Everything functions as it should. The chain turns nicely by hand, the brake stops it from turning. But there's this frightful noise like I'm torturing that spring when I push the bar forward. When I disengage it's a much quieter, normal sort of click.

The only other saw I've owned was a Stihl pro model about 20 years ago. Can't remember it making this kind of noise lol. Used a few others and can't recall a noise like that. Is it a husky thing or should I just back away slowly?

Thanks, TheBrushSlasher. I hear a noise from other saws, but this is louder. The spring/brake is in the housing, so maybe that's what's different. It works fine.

Thanks, TheBrushSlasher. I hear a noise from other saws, but this is louder. The spring/brake is in the housing, so maybe that's what's different. It works fine.
Thats probably all it is, I don't notice it, but I've ran them as well as huskys quite a bit so its probably normal to me.
I'll say this if you let the smoke out of the brake shut it off lol.

I bought 4 of the cs2250s. Sold 3 and have under $50 in the one I kept. Refurbished but shows no sign of use 2017 CS2250s for under $50 is OK in my book. Took WAY longer to sell 3 than I expected. If they where Stihl or Husky, would have take 6 days instead of 6 months.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Just got back from another successful outing with my crappy Recon Johnny Red. Neighbor couldn't get through a tree with his saw, but this saw did the trick. I just put oil and gas in it, keep that single bolt tight :(). Bought a carb adjusting tool but haven't had need of it. Lazy azz I am, I'm sure I could make it run a bit better perhaps. But it ran good out of the box. Oh, but that crude "R" branded underneath...the shame...<sob>...I need a tissue, Oprah...oh, the shame.

89C102B3-8C53-478A-84D2-82E3ADC4C225.jpeg Mine usually has a 20 on it but @redbull660 hooked me up with a 28” package. Don’t need it but for two dead red oak trees up at my elderly neighbors house up the hill. I can’t wait to get after them trees this weekend, my regular job has limited my saw running time. I put that bar and chain on and had to fire it up. Saw has sat for a couple months and I had no problem starting it. @dsell hooked me up with a great saw! I can’t say enough about the good folks on this site who are straight shooters and good to deal with. Thanks

View attachment 789180 Mine usually has a 20 on it but @redbull660 hooked me up with a 28” package. Don’t need it but for two dead red oak trees up at my elderly neighbors house up the hill. I can’t wait to get after them trees this weekend, my regular job has limited my saw running time. I put that bar and chain on and had to fire it up. Saw has sat for a couple months and I had no problem starting it. @dsell hooked me up with a great saw! I can’t say enough about the good folks on this site who are straight shooters and good to deal with. Thanks
Looks good.
Is that one of the ones the transfers were ground on when he sold it.

Been running one of mine since last spring with a ported cylinder and a 24". I've ran some of the others I bought in stock form, muffler modded, transfers ground without the muffler modded as well as transfers ground and muffler modded.
Great saws.
View attachment 789158
Sounds like you're ready to share a title below your screen name with me:numberone:

Sounds like you're ready to share a title below your screen name with me:numberone:
I like my red saws, but I still like the handling of the orange ones better.
I actually like the 7900 series better than the 2166 for handling, but its not as important to me in a 70 since they are primarily a bucking saw and then a falling saw and they only do a little limbing.
So maybe I'm not there lol.

chipper, I didn’t get caught up in all that hype, I have 2165’s and a 2171 so no need for a 2166......but if you’d like to send me one I’d take it for a test run, you know, just to see what all the fuss is about.
I have a mmws 2171 as well as a stocker(also have a 2145 set up with the ported 346 AM cylinder similar to yours), I like saws :).
The xtorq saws in stock form will outcut the standard versions and all the while getting better fuel economy ;).
Here's one I can send you, you need my PayPal info :innocent:.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsered-2166-r4.338852/

Back