“New” MS261C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never had the desire to spend $350 to be 2 seconds faster in a 30 second cut

I understand that. Luckily, I'm pretty close to Scott, so there's no shipping involved. That made the cost quite a bit less than $350. Last I checked he charged $300 and that covered return shipping, so your number is pretty close if you've got to send it in. With the no shipping discount I paid $250. Could be more by now, I don't know. Also, if the difference was as small as your example, I'd agree 100%. In my experience it's a lot greater. Here's a video that our friend redbull660 shot of two 261s. I'm running both saws. Brand new bar with a new loop of 3/8 RSK on both. You can time them if you want, but I think you'll notice the difference is more than 1/15 faster.

But, cost and speed aren't the only factors as we both know. My 261 was probably my easiest saw to start and restart when it was stock. Now it requires more effort. Also, it's a LOT louder. For me, I don't really mind. I cut a lot of firewood, but I still don't use a saw daily most of the year. For someone who does, I can see that getting annoying quickly. I like ported saws because they make me smile and it brings enjoyment to my firewood chores. They aren't for everyone though.

The ported ones are about 2.5 seconds faster. Obviously the 661 is much faster. The difference just isn't worth it to me. Each to their own.

Right, an average of about 3 seconds (2.95 actually) faster per cut, but in a 9 second cut. You could also say that the stock one took 45% longer to do the same thing...

Unless my math is wrong. Average for the stock saw was 9.45. Ported was 6.5. A difference of 2.95 seconds. 2.95/6.5 is .45. So the extra 2.95 seconds represents an additional 45% of the amount of time it takes a stock saw to do what a ported one can. In this instance anyway.

If I didn't run ported saws, I wouldn't have spare time to do useless math problems. :) Lol

For me it’s about cutting. A lil lighter saw and more wood cut.
Never cut a cookie.
The cutting is the easy part. The work is handling, splitting, handling, stacking.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
thats why hurricane relief is great.
The ones without the saws got to move the wood.

I agree. It's about having fun. For me anyway.
For the price of three nights out, the porting provides more fun over a longer period. Also packs the most grrrrr into the lightest package (I ain't no hero limbing all day with a 3120), allows me to ditch picco chain on the wee saw which means I can standardise on one chain type = one chain roll to keep, one grinder disc /file size to keep, one type of chain ties/straps to have on hand, etc, etc.
Is it faster bucking logs than any other saw I could buy of a similar weight. Probably, but there are plenty of people in the world having fun at someone else's expense so at least engaging the services of a reputable saw porter and enjoying the results is good fun that's not hurting anyone.

For me it’s about cutting. A lil lighter saw and more wood cut.
Never cut a cookie.

thats why hurricane relief is great.
The ones without the saws got to move the wood.
That's one reason I don't often sharpen mates chains for them any more. If I'm the only one with a sharp chainsaw, they get to do the grunt work instead. I don't feel guilty either, it's payback for all the free sharpening every time they were reckless with their chains and expected me to perform miracles with their badly butchered excuses for chains.

That's one reason I don't often sharpen mates chains for them any more. If I'm the only one with a sharp chainsaw, they get to do the grunt work instead. I don't feel guilty either, it's payback for all the free sharpening every time they were reckless with their chains and expected me to perform miracles with their badly butchered excuses for chains.
Yup.

But the rocks I hit don’t care how sharp the chain is. Lol

I cut down an old Hackberry earlier this week with my 261 that had a rock the size of a tennis ball in it. Luckily I hit it very lightly as the tree was falling so it didn't booger up the chain much. So weird how rocks end up in the trunks of trees like that.

I cut down an old Hackberry earlier this week with my 261 that had a rock the size of a tennis ball in it. Luckily I hit it very lightly as the tree was falling so it didn't booger up the chain much. So weird how rocks end up in the trunks of trees like that.
In the crotch when it was young.

That sounds bad....

Definitely. Especially coming from you.

"We'll be right back to this episode of Touched By An Uncle after this message from our sponsors". :)

Well for your sake at least you didn’t mention “The Incident”......all the charges were dropped weren’t they?

Ya know, I was always cornflicted watching that angel show. I mean on one hand there were some great messages for mankind, on the other hand, I was lusting immorally over that angel:
Roma-Downey-touched-by-an-angel-471857_300_418.jpg

Back