025 tank vent mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This isn't earth shattering by no means but I think it is better than the factory version of a tygon line with those crummy grub screws on a 025 . The MS 250's have switched to kind of the same deal but much more elaborate.

This 025 came my way and it had a one of those crummy carbs that only had the L speed adjusting screws . I got it to run long enough to find out it had a hole in the fuel line and that tank vent line had a tear in it.

Awhile back I was working on a Shindawai T272 trimmer and replace the lines and breather / tank vent. After seeing this I thought those little breathers would come in handy for an 025 and any other saw that used that same grub screw set up. I ordered some extras because thy were cheap enough.

I used the part of the old fuel line with the end that goes to the carb and stuck it onto the vent tube coming out of the the gas tank. The line already had a curve in so I cut it there so the breather wouldn't be in the way of the choke and the air filter housing and then added the old breather from the trimmer that was still good.

I haven't field tested this yet but I don't see why with this won't work out. I got myself a new fully adjustable carb, new fuel line and my homemade venting system and the saw runs great. I ran the saw enough to know that the venting is working and put the saw on it's side and upside down several times while it was running with no fuel leaks so that is a good sign .

On a humorous note I fixed a saw one time that had one of those little weed eater fuel filters being used as a tank vent instead of an actual breather . It worked as long as the saw stayed upright so it wouldn't leak fuel out the top.

DSCN2077.JPG DSCN2079.JPG

This isn't earth shattering by no means but I think it is better than the factory version of a tygon line with those crummy grub screws on a 025 . The MS 250's have switched to kind of the same deal but much more elaborate.

This 025 came my way and it had a one of those crummy carbs that only had the L speed adjusting screws . I got it to run long enough to find out it had a hole in the fuel line and that tank vent line had a tear in it.

Awhile back I was working on a Shindawai T272 trimmer and replace the lines and breather / tank vent. After seeing this I thought those little breathers would come in handy for an 025 and any other saw that used that same grub screw set up. I ordered some extras because thy were cheap enough.

I used the part of the old fuel line with the end that goes to the carb and stuck it onto the vent tube coming out of the the gas tank. The line already had a curve in so I cut it there so the breather wouldn't be in the way of the choke and the air filter housing and then added the old breather from the trimmer that was still good.

I haven't field tested this yet but I don't see why with this won't work out. I got myself a new fully adjustable carb, new fuel line and my homemade venting system and the saw runs great. I ran the saw enough to know that the venting is working and put the saw on it's side and upside down several times while it was running with no fuel leaks so that is a good sign .

On a humorous note I fixed a saw one time that had one of those little weed eater fuel filters being used as a tank vent instead of an actual breather . It worked as long as the saw stayed upright so it wouldn't leak fuel out the top.

View attachment 754706 View attachment 754707

The Ms210/230/250 vents will also work in this same place... but are a LOT more spendy!

I got this original 025 that doesn't appear to ever be used. The tank vent appears to be an Oil hose and oil screen. Does anyone recall if this was done in the first year?025 tank vent.jpg

That's wrong. Somebody messed with it. Other vent solutions are in this thread.

That is the old style AF as well.
I'm not disagreeing that it doesn't look stock based on all the other 025's that have come through my dealership. This saw is so clean, I doesn't look like it has ever touched wood. The customer wants me to check it out, which in my case will be a complete engine check per Stihl's procedures. I ran the serial number (226580475) through SSO and it was purchased new in August 1993 from Cooper Lawn and Home on 8/19/2023. There is an advertisement label on the saw with the dealer's info that is unblemished.

My intention is to start a new thread with pictures of detailing the saw as I perform the engine check. My customer wants me to get it running so he can use it. Personally I'd rather see someone provide him with a new MS250 and preserve this one in it's present conditions.

I am a Gold Level Stihl mechanic.

Thanks
Phil

Latest posts

Back