044 rebuild questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmith0480

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have used this site a lot for information but I've never really needed to post anything until now. I was at my Stihl dealer checking prices for my other saws when it came up I was looking for a project saw to build. He happened to have 2 parts saws, one 044 and one MS440. Neither had jugs, but it looked like there were almost enough parts to build one complete saw. I got everything for $50. I would like to know which saw to use for the rebuild..it pretty much just comes down to flippy caps vs. screw caps right?

I am pretty sure the 044 is a 12mm wrist pin according to the serial number 125 338 277. I know I need to buy a new cylinder and piston. The Stihl mechanic said the seals and bearings were good, but most of the posts I have read says to just go ahead and replace them while I have it apart. I'm sure there are tons of little parts that are missing that I won't catch until I start assembling it back together. Should I be looking for a used OEM 50mm jug and maybe a Meteor piston? OEM MS460 piston and cylinder? Just buy new OEM? This is my first saw rebuild so I'd love to have some guidance.

16508848_1683516938612367_3894044959909457765_n.jpg

I just put 044 together w/044 topend cause I traded stuff for that jug & piston. if I was buyin oe, think id go for 460 top. btw, my 044 is no decomp, if that matters to you.
havin had a 460, would say you wont notice the power diff til ya get into bigger wood. either way, $50. stole that stuff.
edit: easy enough to measure small end, re: 10/12mm

I just put 044 together w/044 topend cause I traded stuff for that jug. if I was buyin oe, think id go for 460 top. btw, my 044 is no decomp, if that matters to you. havin had a 460, would say you wont notice the power diff til ya get into bigger wood. either way, $50. stole that stuff.
All the info is here, beg for manuals thread, how to threads, mods and build threads, just takes some reading.

046/460 Big bore. If you want to get crazy do some port/polishing on it and it will run like a champ.

I myself am at the #5 of a 7 saw rebuild, all 044 and MS440`s. I like to stick to the OEM parts and not take chances on AM P&C sets as they seem to be a crap shoot on quality. In the haul I got there were more than adequate supplies of parts for what looked like up to 15 saws that had been parted down so using all OEM was good for me. The OEM may cost a good bit more and many members have had good luck using AM sets but the one most problematic thing about them was the clips that keep the pin in the piston, the AM ones had a lot of breakage or were just too soft to stay in place.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I am probably just going with OEM 50mm then, might try to find a cylinder with a decompression port (only ms440 had them I think?). I have been doing lots of reading on here, I haven't found a good step by step build thread. If anyone knows of one that'd be a help, if not I'm just going to do the best I can. I've got an 026 Pro, MS362, and MS461 already so I can take my time with this. My other ones are 3/4 wrap handles so I think I'll leave this one 1/2 wrap for low stumping. I guess my first step is probably full disassemble, split the case and put it in the dishwasher when my wife is gone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251752406329

Would I be smart to get this and add a better quality piston?

That cylinder has scoring in it already. Why not buy a quality aftermarket big bore kit?

Ah yep I didn't see the scoring pics earlier. Honestly I'm kind of leery about buying aftermarket parts. From what I've read the durability just doesn't usually compare to OEM, or if they do it's just hit or miss. I really don't want to have to rebuild it because I put a aftermarket cylinder on it that didn't last very long. I guess I'd rather spend $300 once as $100 three times.

I have used aftermarket kits from 30$ all the way up to OEM that run 200$. Pick a quality aftermarket kit and you will be fine. Buy a Mahle big bore if you want a great kit. Hutzl is talked about a lot on this site. I personally did a big bore kit on my step dads saw and he loves it.

I didn't know Mahle made big bore kits. I thought they were all chicom. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into it.

So a Mahle big bore is an OEM ms460 cylinder on an 044? Sorry I'm a bit confused. Still learning.

The OEM 046 cylinder is not a direct fit as mentioned by grizz55chev but takes some slotting of the mounting screws, can be accomplished with just a round file. A die grinder or even a dremel with carbide cutter can help speed up the job. Make sure to use the 046 base gasket if one is used and I have had to clearance the crankcase to clear the 046 piston skirt on two hybrids I did as well as just a little clearancing on the flywheel side cylinder transfer bulge.

Back