044 rebuild questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13737-1487469548-c0caaddb6d7c6b5d5c87de42d2cdfe4f.jpg

13738-1487469607-9d964556fe20251fb969ed06a7b5866e.jpg

13739-1487469658-5443b0f9ab08c1f13c6052f7d3cd4e50.jpg

That part number on the box is funky, but it came with a 10mm piston. So...is it a 10mm cylinder?

The slant fin jugs were designed for the early 044 saws that were the 10 mm saws, later when the 12 mm saws were first released the Stihl factory used up the remaining slant fin cylinders until they depleted the backlog of them and then started using the newer cylinders with the straight across fins. The practice of using up the backlog of parts on new models is common in the chainsaw world. The changes came in around 1994 according to Stihl`s own records and the serial number of just when the changes too place is often contentious but the crank was supposed to be used in saws up to # X29 382 283 but I have seen references of the pistons being used up to # X29 583 701, a bit of overlap in those numbers there.

So I'm probably good to go? If it was a 12mm I could always just use the 440 case instead. I do have that option. I thought I might save the 440 for a 460 jug though later on.

Good luck on your build. I made a haul myself this winter, found about 15 of them all from one place with 7 of them complete saws, the others had some pieces missing but are easily rebuild able, they came with a huge several box lot of spare parts.

What a great find. I couldn't imagine trying to do 15 saws. My wife would leave me, haha. The 440 will take a lot longer than the 044 for sure. It needs a lot of parts so I have to spread the cost out over time. I think the hardest part for me is finding decent deals on small parts.

What a great find. I couldn't imagine trying to do 15 saws. My wife would leave me, haha. The 440 will take a lot longer than the 044 for sure. It needs a lot of parts so I have to spread the cost out over time. I think the hardest part for me is finding decent deals on small parts.

Its the small stuff that can sink you when bought individually especially if shipping is required. All I needed to buy were new crank seals, the boxes of parts contained every other part needed to build many saws. A dealer was looking to clear out all his old inventory so I cleaned his shelves....LOL

Its the small stuff that can sink you when bought individually especially if shipping is required. All I needed to buy were new crank seals, the boxes of parts contained every other part needed to build many saws. A dealer was looking to clear out all his old inventory so I cleaned his shelves....LOL
Don't know if anybody's said it yet but you suck!

Good luck on your build. I made a haul myself this winter, found about 15 of them all from one place with 7 of them complete saws, the others had some pieces missing but are easily rebuild able, they came with a huge several box lot of spare parts.

Any pictures to share, of this haul?

The slant fin jug will fit and work on both the 044 and MS440 cases, when the saws were changed over to 12mm they were re designated as MS440.

I have a flat top ms440, so that means it has a slant fin cylinder and has the 12mm crank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a flat top ms440, so that means it has a slant fin cylinder and has the 12mm crank?

Very few MS440`s were built with the slant fin cylinders but a few were and they all had the 12 mm crank, it would not have a decomp as far as I have found in the Stihl archives. However any used Stihl purchased could have parts swapped on by previous owners so a saw with an unknown history may contain several parts from different years and production runs.

Very few MS440`s were built with the slant fin cylinders but a few were and they all had the 12 mm crank, it would not have a decomp as far as I have found in the Stihl archives. However any used Stihl purchased could have parts swapped on by previous owners so a saw with an unknown history may contain several parts from different years and production runs.

Thanks, it doesn't have a decomp and there is a no hole in the cover for one. Honestly I've never had the cover off it to look. I got the saw off a scrap yard with a broken rear handle. I replaced the tank, then cut one log and put it on the shelf. It seems to be in excellent condition.

Thanks, it doesn't have a decomp and there is a no hole in the cover for one. Honestly I've never had the cover off it to look. I got the saw off a scrap yard with a broken rear handle. I replaced the tank, then cut one log and put it on the shelf. It seems to be in excellent condition.

I think my post #51 fits here nicely.:cool:

Latest posts

Back