100 cords of FREE oak firewood! NoVA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what the ad says:

Free Firewood (Annandale, Virginia)

I have about 100 cords of firewood that is not split. It is mostly oak mature wood/NO PINE Wood.

Yours for the taking , the only thing is that from the street where you would park it is a 300 foot walk to where the wood is located.

Hmmm. 100 cords worth of rounds (how big?) in a wheelbarrow, for 300 feet? Given the weather we've had lately, that's probably 300 feet of MUD.

Not for me, but somebody closer might be interested.

My money is on "you just have to cut the trees down... oh, and they're right next to my barn, jim-bob's house and barn, and mary-sue's house and barn"

Mike

I just sent the guy and email, I want to see this one for myself.:) I live near Annandale so if I hear from them I will let you guys know what the deal is. Anyone want to bet its some guys yard and he had 2 or 3 trees taken down? Looks like 100 cords to me :dizzy:

I just sent the guy and email, I want to see this one for myself.:) I live near Annandale so if I hear from them I will let you guys know what the deal is. Anyone want to bet its some guys yard and he had 2 or 3 trees taken down? Looks like 100 cords to me :dizzy:

same thing i was thinking--but at least mark posted it---your never know unless you look----

Yep. I'm betting the same. I posted this because I figured it would either help somebody out or be good for a laugh. :laugh:

Let us know! :popcorn:

Hmmmm. 100 cords. That's a pile 4 feet wide, 4 feet high, and 800 feet long! :jawdrop:

BTW, welcome to the site! :cheers:

Last edited:
I just got a email from the guy. He seems nice enough, sent me the address and asked if I came over not to go through the next door neighbors yard. I pulled it up on google maps to get the location and looked at the Satellite image. There are less the 15 trees in his whole yard, unless he has giant redwoods growing there, I doubt he has even 8 cords on his whole property. Was going to ride by and take some pics so you guys could have a good laugh but now that I know it seems pointless to do so. If I ride by there in passing I will get some pics.

no, no, no, silly..........

those are the 15 trees still standing........

the other 2000 are in a pile under a camo. tarp that you can't see !!!!

riderup

I think that by posting you have committed yourself to going by to take a look. Stop in a talk to guy and take some pics. Come on - we need some more details here!!

Thats a lot of wood to be giving away maybe he is confused about the size of a cord. Or he just doesn't want to make some money selling it to a wholesale firewood guy. Anyway :popcorn:

Regardless, it's free wood whether it's 1 cord or 100 cord or 100 pieces.
So while you're laughing at someone's misunderstanding of a cord, remember those of us who will take whatever we can get, wherever we can get it :cheers:

So I just got back from the house with the 100 cords and yes I took pictures. I will post as soon as my son comes home from school and tells me where he put the cable so I can down load the pics onto my computer. Here is the deal though, there is maybe 2 1/2 or 3 cords of wood. Three trees were taken down in the backyard. First one was a 14in. White Oak, Second one was a 18in. Tulip Poplar and the third one was a 36in. Tulip Poplar. The wood is along the fence stacked 1 or 2 high and maybe 4 foot wide. Its 40 ish ft. long. I spoke the the nice elderly lady next door and she said that I was like the 15th person to come by, only one person tried to get some wood and he only stayed for 10 or 15 min. The only route to haul wood out is alond the side yard that is on a slope and total mud. I will post the pics soon but not much to look at.

Where did he get the 100 cord number? Was he just trying to generate a lot of interest?

The oak may be worth the effort to get it out, since it is only 14", but the poplar? No way. On second thought, if it is muddy enough and downhill, put the wood on a sled and let it go!!

Edit: Missed that it was already cut.

Latest posts

Back