How much to charge for a cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't say if it was seasoned or not. I sell full cords of seasoned oak for $350 delivered. Face cords for $150 delivered. I'd probably go down to $300 for friends, but not less than that. Also, I have no interest in stacking it. I just toss it into a pile.

A cord fits nicely in an 8' bed with sideboards. I stack a row in the front against the cab and one against the tailgate. The rest is tossed on. I put about as much as I can physically fit in there and it's just about right at a cord. Better have good springs and tires though for oak!

It will be close to one year seasoned if I sell some this year, may wait and sell it next year and it will be even more dry....either way, it will be more dry than 90% of the wood sold around here. Most will split and sell at the same time.

Truck is an F350, 460, 5 speed, 4x4. Bed is 8' long, 6' wide and 32" or 36" (can't remember and I have taken them off for the year) tall side boards.

20190208_161455.jpg

The past two winters I sold a few cord that I had left over. I set my price based on what I thought it was worth. I didn't worry about the market or if I sold it or not. Turned out I was on the high end. I felt like I was selling a premium product though. I sold out every year, and had one or two people call me the next. I had it stacked on pallets like you do Paul so if it hadn't sold it would have the next year or been that much better fuel for my stove. Just like fixing saws, if it's stressful I'm not gonna do it.

The past two winters I sold a few cord that I had left over. I set my price based on what I thought it was worth. I didn't worry about the market or if I sold it or not. Turned out I was on the high end. I felt like I was selling a premium product though. I sold out every year, and had one or two people call me the next. I had it stacked on pallets like you do Paul so if it hadn't sold it would have the next year or been that much better fuel for my stove. Just like fixing saws, if it's stressful I'm not gonna do it.

I think that's exactly what I will do. I dont have to sell it, just enjoy cutting and splitting and maybe make a few extra bucks doing it.

Tim, I seen you post a pic of some pickled ramps somewhere while I was looking through a thread on other power equipment. I had a jar given to me from a guy in the Tennessee mtns a couple yrs ago....them babies were good. I like ramps, pick them and eat them raw every spring. They will put some lead in your pencil when eaten raw lol.

That's a very desirable truck!

I was hoping that was the case, but I've been trying to sell it for a while now without any takers. It is much less rusty than the vast majority of trucks up here, having lived most if it's life in WA state. If you're in the market, let me know!

Tim, I seen you post a pic of some pickled ramps somewhere while I was looking through a thread on other power equipment. I had a jar given to me from a guy in the Tennessee mtns a couple yrs ago....them babies were good. I like ramps, pick them and eat them raw every spring. They will put some lead in your pencil when eaten raw lol.
I'm going to do 20 jars next year. They're so simple and so good. I liked them raw too.
20190603_193310.jpg

I think that's exactly what I will do. I dont have to sell it, just enjoy cutting and splitting and maybe make a few extra bucks doing it.

Ramp is a food? Only ramp I know is driven on to get the skid steer on the trailer?

Pretty common price for a full cord of split and dried Oak/Ash around here is $125-$150. Most of the time those prices include local delivery. Everybody asks me why I don't save, split, and sell all the wood I get from owning a tree service. There's much better ways for me to make money. My time is worth a whole lot more than that

I've got so much wood split that I'm thinking of selling to a few people who have asked me about it.

My ton truck will haul a full cord with my sideboards attached (I checked the dimensions with an online firewood calculator to be sure).

It is 100% oak and I will deliver and stack it. I'm curious what others are paying or charging and what is your location?

Thanks

This is my woodlot at the moment. Those pine logs are just for burning in the burn pile....I like to keep a little fire burning while I'm home, seems to help with the horse flies and skeeters.
View attachment 744170
Here it's going for $350 CAD ($245 US) split and you pick up.
Not seasoned, not delivered, not stacked.
Actually I haven't heard of stacking for over 20 years now.

Here in Quebec, Canada, a full cord sells for about 300-350$ seasoned and delivered. It a little bit cheaper but electricity is way cheaper than in the US. Between 0,06$-0,09$ / kwh. So I guess firewood sellers adapt their prices.

Back