1st of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I usually don't deliver wood in August but a guy wants 5 cords of wood for his owb - 24" long and bigger chunks than the rest of my customers for the same price as regular stove wood. I don't want to have yet another pile so I decided I would cut, split, and throw right into the truck. Took me about 3 hours to work this up today. image.jpg This is the 1st 2 cords.

Splits are all split on ends, no bark that I can see. Looks like old old logs to me. No idea what kind of wood it is but I would put it in my owb. You telling me that dead wood in Texas doesn't season? Guy never said how old the logs are either.
If it works for you fine I understand. In 35 years of burning doesn't work for me.:givebeer:

Logs are a mix but mostly maple that have been down for 2-3 years and stored off the ground. As others stated, bark has fallen off most of the pieces. most pieces are ready to burn now, plus we still have 2 months of hot sunny weather to finish drying the wood out. Some logs were as dry as a popcorn fart. I've been selling firewood for 19 years and have had exactly 3 complaints about wood not being dry enough. Through word of mouth, I can't even keep up with demand so I must be doing something right.

Early deliveries here too

Already have done 5 deliveries, (15 cord), with 3 (6 cord) more scheduled over the next 2 weeks. Word has finally gotten around that wood, in my neck of the woods, is in short supply. Several of my regulars were/are concerned about getting their supply so they took delivery early. (I told them no rush, they were covered, but I guess it's a good feeling to see it sitting in the yard)

I actually prefer getting deliveries done early, though the wood is cut split and piled by order, it gets stacked for final dry, and I get to spend cooler weather working in the woods instead of riding around in the truck. Other advantage of getting the repeats done early is I have a much better idea as to how much is available for the people on my waiting list.

Take Care

sales have been hopping and popping around here for the last month! largest sale was for 10 truck loads @ 2 cords each of boiler wood for an owb. good to go jrider ! you are on the way to earning a good sweat for your money.... what is the height of your side racks? bed size?????

sales have been hopping and popping around here for the last month! largest sale was for 10 truck loads @ 2 cords each of boiler wood for an owb. good to go jrider ! you are on the way to earning a good sweat for your money.... what is the height of your side racks? bed size?????
Truck bed is 12x8x42". Seems like wood is in high demand for everyone. Keep up the good work. I should be able to deliver all 140-150 cords wearing shorts this year.

Delivered my first load of the season today. Earliest ever for me. Customer was a lovely lady, so I scampered right over. She even helped unload the truck and stack.

My delivery was a mixture of ash, walnut, and red elm in 18" lengths. I split it all the day before and loaded it cab high like my avatar shows. We counted the logs--405. Total cost = $120. I threw in a $10 discount because she volunteered to help. She said, "Edwin, you have made my day."

Splits are all split on ends, no bark that I can see. Looks like old old logs to me.

It has been my experience that split ends, no bark or old logs by themselves or all 3 together are not automatic indicators that the wood is dry enough to burn in my OWB. It was a simple question without implied meaning. Thanks OP for your answer.

That's incredible that you can fit that many splits in your truck!
That's how many that we counted out--customer as my witness. I pack them in like a sardine can. It's anything but a random throw. I avoid big splits (or non-splits) like those shown above in post #1 because fireplace customers want an easy light and a fire with flames. I also cut 18" lengths so that four rows fit. Each row holds about four wheelbarrows full of wood. And, because I have sturdy racks on both the back and the sides, I get almost an extra cubic yard on board.

Most of the time my customers give me a $10 or even a $20 tip when I unload and stack by myself. This customer helped unload (even climbed into the truck bed to drag logs to the tailgate) and stack the pile. I gave her my card and told her that she earned $10 back out. She almost gave me a hug for that, but I held her at bay.

Back