262XP back from vacation in Tennessee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Reaction score
Wanted to give a shout out to Randy got our 262XP back Friday and put 2 tanks through it at a job Saturday.
The saw cuts like it's angry -- first ported saw for us. Cutting all maple yesterday it seems like the 262 has me up to my knees in chips faster than the 372... Big chips everywhere... love it.

Also had new knives on the chipper and adjusted anvil -- eating massive chunks of maple without the autofeed kicking in chipper was chippin' like it was pissed off too... Chipper and 262 were singing to each other.

Set the saw up for about 14100 RPMs (richened a shade came down in elevation from Randy's to here was turning max 14500 or so out of the box). Checked it after 2 tanks got a max reading of 14175 on the Fast Tach, hear four cycling no problem at WOT. I'll try to grab RPMs while in the cut next time. Unlimited coil is nice -- set it and forget it.

The saw went from 25 year old tired (it's a 1991) to one fast mother...

Thanks again Randy for giving this the saw the treatment. Couple of pictures below.

The decal on the starter cover is a vinyl replacement from Sugar creek supply (ordered through chainsawr). The decal is a perfect replica of the original. Very happy with the results! Thank you chainsawr/sugar creek for the perfect decal to round out a rebuild project.

IMG_20150912_074504314-X3.jpg

IMG_20150912_074515517_HDR-X3.jpg

Proud to wear the Mastermind Worksaws sticker!

I believe it does have the HDA 87 carb I'll look next week my brother held on to the saw to finish what we didn't get done -- worked til dusk yesterday. He'll use the 262 to get the last 8 feet or so buts of two decent sized maple yard trees we left.

Randy went through the entire saw (complete rebuild) lines, seals, I don't remember if he had to replace the crank bearings. New piston, ported cylinder, he told me which cylinder and I forgot -- no decomp valve if that's a clue and it is 1991 year. New A/V mounts -- the old ones the power head had a lot of play relative to handle bar from wear and tear I requested Randy replace them -- didn't notice if they were rubber or spring, I'm guessing he would have used OEM. New muffler w/ mod sounds badass. In terms of vibe I didn't notice if the 262 rattled me anymore than the 372 -- I'd have to pay attention next time ... I guess I was too busy watching hardwood cut faster than most saws cut pine and chips flying like a new england blizzard ;) I doubt the vibe is much different if the 262 had much more than the 372 or the 346's I would've have probably noticed at some point.

We're weekend warriors and have "other" day jobs so vibe isn't too big an issue -- tree work on the weekends funds my saw and fireworks spending habits and scratches the itch to run saws, drag brush to the chipper, and get off my arse to get some exercise.

I see you've got a whole fleet of 262's -- more than 10 of them? You suck! Also looks like you only believe in 2 series huskys -- nothing wrong with that!

Southwest NH -- got my 372 from Chapel's up there and I frequent Atlas Fireworks in Rindge if you are anywhere near there. Take care see ya.

Southwest NH -- got my 372 from Chapel's up there and I frequent Atlas Fireworks in Rindge if you are anywhere near there. Take care see ya.

I'm outside Keene. I got my Kubota tractor in the picture at Chapel and am very familiar with Atlas. If Randy replaced the AV's, its likely he went with the spring type which were introduced on the 1992 IPL and I believe the rubber ones are NLA. I see the rear handle has been replaced at some point since the ones from '91 have the "secret compartment" in the base.

And yes, I really enjoy the 200 series! One of my '94's is an original purchase and what got me hooked on this series. They are so reliable and easy to work on when something does eventually go.

Big difference with the new AVs -- glad to hear spring type is what is available and ought to hold up well.

You know the saw well! I don't remember it having the tool compartment (found internet pictures searching -- interesting odd "feature") but I know my brother had work done to the saw some 15 years ago maybe the original rear handle suffered tree rash or suffered a drop and that is why it hit the shop back then. I'll find out.

Always enjoyed running the 262 with 20" bar -- just feels right especially cutting firewood to length.

See ya.

Took a quick video confirmed saw has HDA 87 carb. Hoping to make the CT GTG sponsored by paragon builder and mels will bring this to play with.

Always had the spring anti vibe according to my bro. They were replaced number of years ago when original spring ones wore out and again by Randy. Rear handle is original... Never had the tool compartment.

Saw has been fun thanks again Mastermind worksaws!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back