Snellerized Saws Reviews 42cc-50cc Saws: MS241C, OE 346XP, NE 346XP, MS261C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I happen to have all four of these saws here right now and thought I'd do a quick shoot out before a couple of them get shipped off to their new homes. The outcome has me staggering! I'm not even a little bit happy about my beloved 346XP getting beat, not once, but twice, and by a smaller saw no less!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

First up is the 45cc OE 346XP. I have ported very few of these OE versions, so may not have this one perfectly dialed in. Also, it's not wearing the 357 intake and carb components like the NE version coming up. None the less, it runs fantastic and will make a great worksaw for @Rudedog. I have the saw tuned perhaps a little on the rich side to 14,500, a good safe work tune. Other than a handful of tuning cuts, these are the first cuts on this new saw. It cut a fast time of 6.4 seconds with a medium load.

Next up is my baby, I mean my personal 50cc NE 346XP, lol. I love these saws and is my favorite 50cc saw. It makes crazy RPMs, yet has ample torque to pull a 20" B&C buried in hardwood with ease. I have the saw tuned to 15,000 here. This saw only has maybe 6-8 tanks of fuel through it, max. It cut a fast time of 5.o seconds with a heavy load.

Now here's where it starts to get interesting. This little 42cc MS241C that I just ported last Friday outperformed my NE 346XP! I knew this thing was singing, but not like this! Yes, it's running Picco chisel chain, but that's how this saw comes from the factory, just as all of the others come with .325, which the others are all wearing...all the same chain BTW. This saw is still on it's 1st tank of fuel. This little wonder cut a fast time of 5.0 seconds with a heavy load. Yes, she has torque, and plenty of it!

And this one REALLY surprised me! In no way did I see this one coming. Tonight, the 50cc MS261C came out on top! This saw has a broken in bottom end with a new OEM topend still on it's 1st tank of fuel. It cut a fast time of 4.5 seconds with a heavy load! This saw is a sleeper. It doesn't sound or feel near as fast as the NE 346XP, yet the proof's in the pooding. Unless you're timing your cuts, you really have no idea what setup is the fastest. You simply can't go by feel. I've seen it too many times.

Bottom line, all of these are absolutely great performers. The 241 has finally found a place in my heart. I can't give up my beloved 346 though. I still love this little saw. From what I'm seeing, on any given day, either the 346 or 261 may come out on top. What's not to like?

So I happen to have all four of these saws here right now and thought I'd do a quick shoot out before a couple of them get shipped off to their new homes. The outcome has me staggering! I'm not even a little bit happy about my beloved 346XP getting beat, not once, but twice, and by a smaller saw no less!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

First up is the 45cc OE 346XP. I have ported very few of these OE versions, so may not have this one perfectly dialed in. Also, it's not wearing the 357 intake and carb components like the NE version coming up. None the less, it runs fantastic and will make a great worksaw for @Rudedog. I have the saw tuned perhaps a little on the rich side to 14,500, a good safe work tune. Other than a handful of tuning cuts, these are the first cuts on this new saw. It cut a fast time of 6.4 seconds with a medium load.

Next up is my baby, I mean my personal 50cc NE 346XP, lol. I love these saws and is my favorite 50cc saw. It makes crazy RPMs, yet has ample torque to pull a 20" B&C buried in hardwood with ease. I have the saw tuned to 15,000 here. This saw only has maybe 6-8 tanks of fuel through it, max. It cut a fast time of 5.o seconds with a heavy load.

Now here's where it starts to get interesting. This little 42cc MS241C that I just ported last Friday outperformed my NE 346XP! I knew this thing was singing, but not like this! Yes, it's running Picco chisel chain, but that's how this saw comes from the factory, just as all of the others come with .325, which the others are all wearing...all the same chain BTW. This saw is still on it's 1st tank of fuel. This little wonder cut a fast time of 5.0 seconds with a heavy load. Yes, she has torque, and plenty of it!

And this one REALLY surprised me! In no way did I see this one coming. Tonight, the 50cc MS261C came out on top! This saw has a broken in bottom end with a new OEM topend still on it's 1st tank of fuel. It cut a fast time of 4.5 seconds with a heavy load! This saw is a sleeper. It doesn't sound or feel near as fast as the NE 346XP, yet the proof's in the pooding. Unless you're timing your cuts, you really have no idea what setup is the fastest. You simply can't go by feel. I've seen it too many times.

Bottom line, all of these are absolutely great performers. The 241 has finally found a place in my heart. I can't give up my beloved 346 though. I still love this little saw. From what I'm seeing, on any given day, either the 346 or 261 may come out on top. What's not to like?

Yet another Bad Braderized Build…GREAT job, :)

Can't wait to try out the "sleeper"

I loved my 241 and when they first came out, you helped me get one Brad. Not sure if you remember lol. Anyways, that thing was a beast with just a muffler mod. I only sent the old girl down the road when I purchased a few ported 50cc saws lol. I never tried .325 on my 241. The Picco setup was very quick, but gets dull quicker depending on how dirty the wood is. The picco setup is very fun on my 261cm. I must say though, my ported 2153 always leaves me saying wow!!!

I loved my 241 and when they first came out, you helped me get one Brad. Not sure if you remember lol. Anyways, that thing was a beast with just a muffler mod. I only sent the old girl down the road when I purchased a few ported 50cc saws lol. I never tried .325 on my 241. The Picco setup was very quick, but gets dull quicker depending on how dirty the wood is. The picco setup is very fun on my 261cm. I must say though, my ported 2153 always leaves me saying wow!!!
I would agree with that, but this 241 leaves me speachless!

I weighed the OE 346 and 241 last week. I fully intended to weigh the NE 346 and 261 this evening, but forgot and drained them already. Are you really going to make me go fill them up again, lol?

I am certainly not going to make you...it's your choice as to whether the data is important. The 346 may feel faster because it is lighter and handles better than the 261. It may also sound faster because it is louder.

Very interesting. That certainly makes a more compelling case for the 241.

Brad, have you had a chance to port up a 543xp? I'd be interested to see what could be gotten out of that platform as compared to the 241.

What are the technical differences in the stock builds from the factory that help with these results? Anything glaringly obvious?

I am certainly not going to make you...it's your choice as to whether the data is important.
It is :) You just pushed me to do what I wanted to do, but has lost motivation for the evening.

MS241C. 16" Rollomatic E Picco Bar. 63PS3 Chain.
MS241C-L.jpg

MS261C. Rollomatic E Bar. 26RS Chain.
MS261C-L.jpg

Contrary to what I've always heard, there's virtually no difference in the NE and OE 346XP.
OE 346XP. Sugihara 16" Bar. 26RS Chain. (This bar is a tad heavier than the factory laminated bar.)
OE%20346XP-L.jpg

NE 346XP. Sugihara 16" Bar. 26RS Chain. (This bar is a tad heavier than the factory laminated bar.)
NE%20346XP-L.jpg

The
What are the technical differences in the stock builds from the factory that help with these results? Anything glaringly obvious?
Huskies are both quad transfer, closed port cylinders. The Stihls were originally strato cylinders, which I've essentially turned into 6 transfer port cylinders.

Back