29 pound mega monster maul

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fossil fueled aircraft carriers had a range of around 12,000 miles. Nuclear carriers have unlimited range and 20-25 year refueling schedule. A slight difference.
Yes, I was talking specifically comercial power generation not US defense. They have highly enriched (upper 90%) fuel that lasts decades unlike comercial plants (3-5%).

Let me know the next time a 20 foot diameter 12 foot tall tank of gas can produce 1000 megawatts continuously for a year and then you refill it about 1/4 full and it is ready to go another year. Gasoline can't begin to come close to nuclear in the real world. Don't even get me started on how reliable "facts" are on Wikipedia.

Most reactors go 2 years not 1. Some are 18 month refuel cycles.

Fossil fueled aircraft carriers had a range of around 12,000 miles. Nuclear carriers have unlimited range and 20-25 year refueling schedule. A slight difference.

At least you're making real sense of the discussion...I've been on a few different nuclear-powered aircraft carriers in my Marine Corps yrs and aviation adventures.

A close friend of mine served on the Constellation. IIRC the last non nuke carrier in active service

I believe that's correct regarding the Constellation.

Yes, I was talking specifically comercial power generation not US defense. They have highly enriched (upper 90%) fuel that lasts decades unlike comercial plants (3-5%).

How is this for a derail?:happybanana:

I am well aware of the limits of nuclear power. I held a senior operator license on 2 different commercial power plants during my career. The details of the fuel cycle vary a lot from plant to plant and I did operate one that normally went 2 years between refuels. Actually a one year refuel cycle is a more efficient use of the fuel but plant owners hate the down time to do the refuel that often even though it comes out cheaper in the long run. The fuel cycle used on any plant is custom designed to reflect the desired operating cycle while minimizing total costs. Some of the variables involved include initial enrichments, desired burn up at refueling, ability of the plant to easily vary power and desired power profiles. A typical BWR runs a slightly lower enrichment than a typical PWR due to the way each one controls the power levels and reactor core flux shapes.
c5rulz, you gotta love watching Slim Pickens ride the bomb.

I am well aware of the limits of nuclear power. I held a senior operator license on 2 different commercial power plants during my career. The details of the fuel cycle vary a lot from plant to plant and I did operate one that normally went 2 years between refuels. Actually a one year refuel cycle is a more efficient use of the fuel but plant owners hate the down time to do the refuel that often even though it comes out cheaper in the long run. The fuel cycle used on any plant is custom designed to reflect the desired operating cycle while minimizing total costs. Some of the variables involved include initial enrichments, desired burn up at refueling, ability of the plant to easily vary power and desired power profiles. A typical BWR runs a slightly lower enrichment than a typical PWR due to the way each one controls the power levels and reactor core flux shapes.

Well said and defined...good read.

I am expecting the whole time that someone is finally going to explain on how to use the monster maul to split

the atom....

;)

IL has a few plants, which did you work at?

Most recently Clinton. Before that San Onofre in CA.

I was part of the cabinet shop crew that built all this stuff before it was shipped out to diablo canyon and had all the electronic do dads installed. We called it in the shop the enterprise bridge, fun project. There's a bunch on the web, just picked this one pic out.

Attachments

• news-SLO Scene 1-Diablo-30.24.jpg
    news-SLO Scene 1-Diablo-30.24.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a BWR 4 control panel layout. Every generation has its own look.
What does this have to do with a 29 pound maul?

Back