3/8 lp vs. 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motodeficient

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What exactly is the difference between 3/8 LP and 3/8? A saw running 3/8LP can run regular 3/8 as long as it has a regular 3/8 bar? Is the 3/8 that much more aggressive than 3/8 LP?

I am going to ditch the junky stock bar and chain on this Ryobi 10532, but I don't know if it will run 3/8 well or if I should stick with 3/8LP. I am going to muffler mod it tonight for a little more power, but its still going to be a 40cc saw.

Around 4hp (50+ cc) you need to switch to regular 3/8 instead of LP. Until then LP will generally cut faster. Some guys will run LP on larger milling saws (because of the narrower kerf) but unless your very gentle, you snap chains, LP just isn't strong enuf for big saws.

Stick with the LP,just too easy not to.After a muffler mod it will pull it with authority.The 6 tooth sprocket helps here,if it had a little more "juice" you might be tempted to go to a 7.I have no idea where you could get a 7 tooth for it though.

Please answer the question that the OP asked, because I wanna know too. Can the bar and sprocket that drives 3/8LP also drive 3/8 or not? Is the profile of the drivers the same? I realize the gauge has to be the same.

And why cant a 40cc saw pull 3/8 chain? Seems like all the oldtime saws din't have LP chain, so whats the beef, juss the speed of the saw?

Last edited:
For what it's worth, standard 3/8 is listed as .375 pitch.The 3/8 LP is listed as .365 pitch,some 1/100th of an inch difference there.Who knows how significant this is, on a worn 3/8 LP sprocket probably OK to try standard 3/ 8.

Please answer the question that the OP asked, because I wanna know too. Can the bar and sprocket that drives 3/8LP also drive 3/8 or not? Is the profile of the drivers the same? I realize the gauge has to be the same.

And why cant a 40cc saw pull 3/8 chain? Seems like all the oldtime saws din't have LP chain, so whats the beef, juss the speed of the saw?

See post no. 3

It can, but not as well as it can pull .325" or 3/8LP. I suppose you could mitigate that somewhat by running your rakers tall (.015, .020), so the saw would stay up in its powerband.

The oldtimers were turning a lot lower RPMs than modern saws, had more torque (torque rise?) than the modern saws, and these attributes make a chain that takes relatively larger bites an appropriate choice.

This little guy is running .325" and cut like a madman, but could easily have pulled 16" of 3/8".

Clean_SuperEZ_Auto_8Small.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snapperhead

See post no. 3

You need a 3/8 clutch sprocket and the same for the bar if sprocket tipped; you can't just switch chains.

Soooo, 3/8' LoPro isn't really 3/8". You didn't explain why 3/8 LP chain isn't 3/8th chain. I knew my old Homelite had two different spurs, but couldn't figure why. The bar will run either however. What's up with that?

Not to criticize anyone, but just saying you can't do it doesn't help the newbies. I see a lot of people jumping in on some subjects, dragging the thread off tangent and the basic question never gets answered. I have worked around OPE for many years, but some subjects are just beyond my reach. Please try to remember that a lot of people here don't have 1000 muffler mods under their belts. Thanks.

Soooo, 3/8' LoPro isn't really 3/8". You didn't explain why 3/8 LP chain isn't 3/8th chain. I knew my old Homelite had two different spurs, but couldn't figure why. The bar will run either however. What's up with that?

Not to criticize anyone, but just saying you can't do it doesn't help the newbies. I see a lot of people jumping in on some subjects, dragging the thread off tangent and the basic question never gets answered. I have worked around OPE for many years, but some subjects are just beyond my reach. Please try to remember that a lot of people here don't have 1000 muffler mods under their belts. Thanks.

I thought post no. 10 answered what the exact difference was,and as far as people derailing the thread,,,well, get used to it,it won't change anytime soon. Besides if all we done was answer the questions with no other interjection it would get pretty boring.
Besides you're a newbie, so am I,pay your dues.

If the bar tip sprocket is worn to crap it might work with both chains.

The threads above have explained things, get some calipers out and prove it to yourself.

Massive difference between the two and they are not interchangeable.
I have heard someone say that you can run 3/8"LP on a standard 3/8" rim sprocket - just checked and it does look like it would work.
Standard 3/8" a lot larger in all respects than 3/8"LP.

20062009292.jpg

3/8"LP will not work on a standard 3/8" bar sprocket...

20062009295.jpg

and standard 3/8" will not work on a 3/8"LP bar sprocket...

20062009296.jpg

Hope this clears it up. Low Profile bar nose sprockets have obviously rounded teeth, standard 3/8" does not.

Back