3/8 lp vs. 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the Picco on my 50cc saws, but have went back to .325".

Don't shoot me, but I started using a 3/8" file on .325", & honestly, it's nice.

Of Course, my 50cc saws have stickers, so maybe that's the difference.

YMMV

Holy Dead Thread Revival.

I have lots of saws that run lo pro or standard 3/8 and now am up to 2 saws that run .325. Since they are "sisters" in the same family of saw (350 Husky family) I am going to get one 3/8 sprocket for them and video a few cuts to see what the actual difference is. Would be nice to have one less set of chains and bars to worry about.

I have lots of saws that run lo pro or standard 3/8 and now am up to 2 saws that run .325. Since they are "sisters" in the same family of saw (350 Husky family) I am going to get one 3/8 sprocket for them and video a few cuts to see what the actual difference is. Would be nice to have one less set of chains and bars to worry about.

I'm going to have 3/8 Picco regardless, because both my top handles & my Pole Saws run 3/8" 0.050" Picco.

I'm going to have 3/8" 0.063" because, well, that's the right chain for the medium saws.

I'm going to have .404", because I tried, (unsuccessfully I might add), to buy Julian out, & plus, that's what goes on Big Saws.

I think you'll see the .325" is the better chain for the 50cc saws.

I spent a fair amount of money to prove that to my hardheaded self.

I'm still going to use a 3/8" file on the .325", however.

I definitely hear what you are saying. In reality, .325 may be optimum for a 50 cc saw but for me it is a hassle to have one (or two) saws that run .325 when basically everything else I own can either share a 52 DL loop of 3/8 LP or a 60 or 72 DL loop of true 3/8. Since they do not make a 3/8 LP spur or rim for 350 Husky family, my choices are either go up to 3/8 or be "stuck" with .325. If they did have a LP option for those saws I would drop them down to Stihl PS chain and call it a day.

I will admit that .325 cuts smoother than 3/8 especially when limbing.

On another tangent. We know that a Homelite Super EZ which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5-2.75 HP can pull a 16" loop of full 3/8. So if we use that as the baseline of what saws could "move up" than there are a number of saws on the market that certainly could as well. OTOH there are saws like the Poulan 5020 that IMO are way underpowered to come out of the box with a 20" loop of full 3/8.

I have full 3/8 on my ported 346 and the one that will be ported, all my other 50s wear .325 except the 5020. I tried to move that to .325 but the clutch drum I bought would expand under the pressure of the clutch shoes and bind on the brake band.

I'm going to have 3/8 Picco regardless, because both my top handles & my Pole Saws run 3/8" 0.050" Picco.

I'm going to have 3/8" 0.063" because, well, that's the right chain for the medium saws.

I'm going to have .404", because I tried, (unsuccessfully I might add), to buy Julian out, & plus, that's what goes on Big Saws.

I think you'll see the .325" is the better chain for the 50cc saws.

I spent a fair amount of money to prove that to my hardheaded self.

I'm still going to use a 3/8" file on the .325", however.

??

3/8" file
Are you referring to a 13/64 and/or a 7/32 inch file???

Please answer the question that the OP asked, because I wanna know too. Can the bar and sprocket that drives 3/8LP also drive 3/8 or not? Is the profile of the drivers the same? I realize the gauge has to be the same.

And why cant a 40cc saw pull 3/8 chain? Seems like all the oldtime saws din't have LP chain, so whats the beef, juss the speed of the saw?
The old Homelite Super EZ and 150 used regular 3/8 chain but saws back then had more grunt and less rpm.

You might just consider that 3/8 and 3/8LP are two different chains. The only thing they have in common is the distance between the pins. If you don't think your saw has enough chain with the LP then just convert it all to .325. I tend to go the other way with chains..my MS250 had a .325 chain on it and I went to 3/8LP and I'm glad I did. Length of bar also comes into play with this...

What are guys using on the piltz hotsaw conversions for huskys ?

With some of the stihls with the mini spline you can run the P7 rim but for the standard and small spline husky saws what rim are they using to drive that PS chain ?

What are guys using on the piltz hotsaw conversions for huskys ?

With some of the stihls with the mini spline you can run the P7 rim but for the standard and small spline husky saws what rim are they using to drive that PS chain ?
Not sure what you are saying here. Does Piltz make a 3/8 LP sprocket for the 350 family?

I definitely hear what you are saying. In reality, .325 may be optimum for a 50 cc saw but for me it is a hassle to have one (or two) saws that run .325 when basically everything else I own can either share a 52 DL loop of 3/8 LP or a 60 or 72 DL loop of true 3/8. Since they do not make a 3/8 LP spur or rim for 350 Husky family, my choices are either go up to 3/8 or be "stuck" with .325. If they did have a LP option for those saws I would drop them down to Stihl PS chain and call it a day.

I will admit that .325 cuts smoother than 3/8 especially when limbing.

I had bad luck throwing 3/8lp on the 20" bar that was on my MS261.

YMMV

What rim do they use to drive PS chain on a small and standard spline...
Not sure. I figured out that the small stihl and small husky rims should interchange. So I ordered a 3/8LP sprocket from Ebay to try it out. I have a bar that I can use and just need to pick up a 56DL loop of LP. Will be interesting to see.

Latest posts

Back