3 point log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtroad Johnso

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking of purchasing a 3 point log splitter that will be attached to a Kubota L4310 (43 HP).
Any suggestions on which models - brands etc. Thanks for any tips. HL

Don't bother with one that can go horizontal/vertical. If you have a big round you can lower the 3 point right to the ground anyway. I would also say don't bother with a 4-way wedge if you split hardwoods.

I have a Wallenstein and have gotten along fine with it.

Just some thoughts.....

If you put a 3pt LogSplt on the back of your tractor, you can't pull a wood trailer.....

I can run my 20ton log splitter for about an 1.5 hours on 1 gallon of gas. How much does the 43hp tractor burn in an hour?

Just some thoughts.....

If you put a 3pt LogSplt on the back of your tractor, you can't pull a wood trailer.....

I can run my 20ton log splitter for about an 1.5 hours on 1 gallon of gas. How much does the 43hp tractor burn in an hour?

I agree.

What a motor cost for the Kubota compared with a 6-10 HP air cooled motor?

I picked mine up at Tractor Supply. The Kubota is a 30 hp tractor and the hydraulic fittings are accessable on the side under the seat. Works great. I put opposing gender quick disconnect couplers on the hydraulic lines so I couldn't mix them up. I later went back and bought the log table, should have bought that much sooner because it is a real work saver. The hydraulic lines are stiff and don't have much of a bend radius so when you buy the lines give yourself a couple of extra feet. Mine are 12 feet long and I wish I had purchased 14 footers.

Just some thoughts.....

My wood trailer gets attached to my drawbar, as it should be, the 3pt splitter is on the 3pt hitch. Lots of room.

Using a 3pt wood splitter a tractor can be at idle and still produce sufficient gph flow for the splitter.

Just some thoughts.....

That's not a concern to me; I got plenty other stuff to pull trailers,etc. Also I already have considered the motorized units.
I want go broke with the tractor diesel for just a few hours a year & with that being said my question was & is about 3 point
hitch units but thanks for your reply.

No Problem! Wasn't sure which way you were going with thread, so I jumped in....turned out the pool was empty!! Just Kidding!

Cut safe and enjoy your new toy when you get it!!

Roger

Granted a 43 hp tractor isn't that expensive, but why put hours on it and burn more fuel when motorized splitters are so cheap anyway?

I picked mine up at Tractor Supply. The Kubota is a 30 hp tractor and the hydraulic fittings are accessable on the side under the seat. Works great. I put opposing gender quick disconnect couplers on the hydraulic lines so I couldn't mix them up. I later went back and bought the log table, should have bought that much sooner because it is a real work saver. The hydraulic lines are stiff and don't have much of a bend radius so when you buy the lines give yourself a couple of extra feet. Mine are 12 feet long and I wish I had purchased 14 footers.

That looks like a good set up, if I go with the 3 point unit I will get extra length on hoses (good advice). Good job
on the stack of wood (looks good). Thanks for your reply.

Splitfire has a few of the 3 point splitters in their line up , solidly built , their powered units survive the rental industry , the 3pt is the same just without the fixins .

The only thing I didn't like about my 3-point splitter was my exhaust pipe comes out the back of the tractor so your breathing fumes while you split.

On the plus side you pick it up with a lever and go from tree to tree anywhere in the woods a tractor can roam.

I'm building a pull behind for my side by side now.

JT

I'll add a second vote for the Speeco 3pt. Just like Flashole's only different color.:)
I bought it last fall from Rural King. TSC didn't have one in stock, so called RK. They had one in stock, and was $100 cheaper than TSC. So made the trip. I paid $649 for the splitter. I also added the log catcher table, was another $45-50, don't recall. But bought that at TSC. LOL

I been happy with it. The speed, power, etc. will be dependent on your tractors hyd. pump. Its basically the same splitter as the 22 ton Husky. I have no problem with power at all. But, cycle time is a little slower than a friends 22 ton gas powered model.

I use it on a older Ford 5000 diesel tractor. Only has a 6.8 gal. per min. pump. Have used it on my Ford 7700 diesel also. Not much different, little faster maybe. I honestly don't think it uses much more fuel than a gas engined model. Easy to hook up. And when ya want to take it off the tractor, the parking stand makes it easy to put anywhere.

It will go vertical also. Have used it that way several times. My old 3pt. would not.

SpeecoSplitmaster009.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I'll add a second vote for the Speeco 3pt. Just like Flashole's only different color.:)
I bought it last fall from Rural King. TSC didn't have one in stock, so called RK. They had one in stock, and was $100 cheaper than TSC. So made the trip. I paid $649 for the splitter. I also added the log catcher table, was another $45-50, don't recall. But bought that at TSC. LOL

I been happy with it. The speed, power, etc. will be dependent on your tractors hyd. pump. Its basically the same splitter as the 22 ton Husky. I have no problem with power at all. But, cycle time is a little slower than a friends 22 ton gas powered model.

I use it on a older Ford 5000 diesel tractor. Only has a 6.8 gal. per min. pump. Have used it on my Ford 7700 diesel also. Not much different, little faster maybe. I honestly don't think it uses much more fuel than a gas engined model. Easy to hook up. And when ya want to take it off the tractor, the parking stand makes it easy to put anywhere.

It will go vertical also. Have used it that way several times. My old 3pt. would not.

SpeecoSplitmaster009.jpg

Gregg,

Thanks for your input.

Dirtroad,
This is the 3pt. splitter I used prior to the Speeco. I used it for 26 years and still have it. Just wanted to try something a little different. It worked great, but could not do vertical splitting.
Was kind of a pain to drop off & park somewhere when not using it. Had to block it up some how.

I split a lot of large rounds it seems. Always just used wedge & sledge hammer to half or quarter them down to size where I could lift them. Thats kinda what had me wanting to try a splitter that could go vertical also. Its no picnic man handling & rolling big rounds around, but it beats swinging a sledge hammer. ;)

Another I thought about was the Power Horse 3pt. from Northern Tool. It splits in both directions, but doesn't do vertical. Was also a less expensive splitter. I looked at several other manufactures (online), but they started getting up into a higher price range than I wanted to go with.

If you already own a tractor, then a 3pt. splitter makes sense. If you don't, then it would be expensive & goofy to go buy a tractor. & a 3pt. splitter over one of the self powered gas models.
Wear on the tractor is minimal in my opinion. It just sits there running at a little over a fast idle.

Every splitter has its unique good points & bad points, and things that one would like to change. I guess that is why so many guys like to build their own. On the Speeco, I wish the wedge was about 2" taller. And the channels on the beam that the wedge travels between occasionally wants to pinch a chunk of wood unless you keep it above the rail edges. Not a big problem, more of an annoyance

100_0517.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0515.jpg

Gregg,

Gregg, that green splitter is about as elegant a splitter design as I have seen. All the business is done at the ends of the heavy wall pipe. Ever have a problem with the bolt flange on the cylinder not being strong enough or the pipe/push-plate guides needing lubed?

Gregg wrote "I'll add a second vote for the Speeco 3pt. Just like Flashole's only different color."

I like your red color better than my baby **** yellow. I'm going on year 4 with the splitter and will have to do some touch up painting next year. Maybe I will disassemble it and change it to Kubota orange to match the tractor.

Last edited:
Back