4 way wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneadam12

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. I had to build a 4 way just to see if it would speed up my times. :hmm3grin2orange: Oh YEAH! I don't think I will mind splitting wood at all now. I did have a learning curve to deal with though.
1. Don't set the block all the way against the beam
2. Don't cut the slot in the vertical blade to big
3. Make sure you remember to square the plate on the bottom of the wedge BEFORE you weld it up

Here's a couple of pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oh yeah, I almost forgot

4. When you change wedges, Don't forget to measure OAL so that it isn't too long

Last edited:
Only thing I can see.

Is that "R" type key should be replaced with a C clip to keep a bit of wood from popping the key off. Excellent looking welds on the baseplate.Did the same welder do all the welding?LOl Just kidding looks great

Lookin Good! :cheers:

Let 'er rip through a couple cords and see how it works out. You might want to add some angle iron to the back side of the wedge to get more flare to separate the pieces faster. Maybe, only time will tell.

I tried it out today with a couple of blocks I left just for that reason. It looked like it worked good enough the way it is. The only problem I had was self inflicted. I let the block rest against the beam when I split it, and it jammed a piece on the back side of the wedge. It wasn't to hard to get out though.

You might want to consider changing the angle of the vertical wedge because you are "pinching" the wood between the bottom of the vertical wedge and the baseplate. Angle iron spreaders as mentioned in a previous post help a lot too.

I only split 4 block with it, but it looked ok. I did add the "wings" to the single I have and it worked great. I think I'm going to split a little more before I make a decision on this one.

Back