42cc Woodshark ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shake5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Poulan Woodshark P3314WS (33cc) and the numbers on the decal indicate it's actually 42cc's, and after researching the engine family number, 9PWES.0424CM, turns out it's manufactured by Husqvarna?? i might think it just has the wrong decal on it, but it also says P3314WS on the same decal. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Interesting. The Woodshark is 33cc. Poulan also makes a yellow Poulan Pro 18". It is the 4218...hence the 42 cc engine. I have both and there is a big difference between the two as in performance. The 42cc runs about 5000 rpm's faster (my estimate..I'm sticking to it)

I realize this is necroposting

I recently purchased a Poulan Woodshark P3314WS (33cc) and the numbers on the decal indicate it's actually 42cc's, and after researching the engine family number, 9PWES.0424CM, turns out it's manufactured by Husqvarna?? i might think it just has the wrong decal on it, but it also says P3314WS on the same decal. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

I just got one of these from someone for twenty bucks. He said he had trouble starting it. I did too, and had to reassemble the pull cord. :msp_tongue: But after a while, perhaps once his fuel was worked out, it fired right up and I cut a little log with it nice and quick.

Here's the stuff I wrote down from the label. It's definitely a wood shark, not labeled as a pro anything. It definitely says it's 42cc. I only include the S/N (with digits omitted) because it's weird, do serials like this have any useful data in them?

Family 9PWES.042CM/42CC:EM
S/N ####ID######-# :(##:##)
MOD: P3314WS 802032

I'm a total saw noob (my 302S still doesn't run, heh heh) but I found this thread while searching and thought I'd chime in. I can tell you that the fuel lines didn't melt over the course of the last year or whatever this guy had it sitting in his garage because he's afraid of chainsaws.

Interesting. The Woodshark is 33cc. Poulan also makes a yellow Poulan Pro 18". It is the 4218...hence the 42 cc engine. I have both and there is a big difference between the two as in performance. The 42cc runs about 5000 rpm's faster (my estimate..I'm sticking to it)

5K is a waaaay to large difference, something isn't right there.

However, the Woodsharks I know of are 33 or 34cc, not 42.

It sort of is, as Poulan is one of the many brands owned by Husqvarna.

Just sold this one for $20, so I can't go read of any numbers, other than what I remember. But IIRC, it said 33 cc on the handle (as noted in pic). It also had a 14" B & C.

I have one of the generic types(made by poulan in the USA! :D) with 40cc. It is a very nice runner.

I was under the impression that the green plastic poulans all had the same 42cc engine in them, regardless of what the tag said. I've got at least one 3314 out in the shop, will have to check them later.

I have a woodshark 3314 that has a 42cc. If I can remember how, I'll get some pictures up when I get home. Great runner for what the get out of em with the exception of the anti-vibe. These will rattle fillings out.

I was under the impression that the green plastic poulans all had the same 42cc engine in them, regardless of what the tag said. I've got at least one 3314 out in the shop, will have to check them later.

What I once was told was that the top end actually is the same, but the stroke is varied by the use of different cranks/rods - at least the spare top-end is the same.....:msp_confused:

What I once was told was that the top end actually is the same, but the stroke is varied by the use of different cranks/rods - at least the spare top-end is the same.....:msp_confused:

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll have to check that out. I've got a bunch of plastic poulans out in the shop.

I have a 1950 Woodshark which says 36cc on the tag, same as my 2050. My 2150 says 42cc, as does the 3816 I just picked up. The first three of these are non-strato, the 3816 is strato. I think Poulan advertises different displacements but in reality only has two sizes for the smaller saws, 36 and 42.

As an aside I picked up the 3816 cheap on Fleabay because the seller said the compression was 60 psi. I checked and it reads 100 psi dry and 135 wet on my automotive gauge. I suspect the actual numbers would be somewhat higher if I had a real small engine compression tester, at any rate the pull effort feels the same as my other Poulans. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get it going.

I have two of these P3314WS and they are both 42cc. I know becaused I have replaced the pistons ansd they are the same size (diameter) as the older 42cc Poulans. Just to say that these are the more modern stato-carbed version of the wood shark models.

Regards,

Lee

How do you like the strato versus the old non strato design? The limited experience I have suggests they run more smoothly.

I have two of these P3314WS and they are both 42cc. I know becaused I have replaced the pistons ansd they are the same size (diameter) as the older 42cc Poulans. Just to say that these are the more modern stato-carbed version of the wood shark models.

Regards,

Lee

The pistons seem to be the same size (BORE). Rumors are that a 3314WS has a shorter STROKE to make for less displacement. Can anyone confirm this?

The pistons seem to be the same size (BORE). Rumors are that a 3314WS has a shorter STROKE to make for less displacement. Can anyone confirm this?

That's what I suggested ealier in this thread, but I don't remember who or what was the source of that "info"....

Back