$500 Vermont Castings Defiant - good price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pereynol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guy is selling a $500 Vermont Castings Definant stove on Craigslist. Says it is approximately 5 years old. I am going to see it later this evening.

Is this a good price? What should I look for as far as defects/cracks, etc?

Not sure if it's non-catalytic or catalytic. Will find out soon.

Thanks,

Peter

A good deal if in good shape.Look for cracks, both in the cast and the interior.My Jotul dealer also sells Vermont Castings and he told me he had concerns about the company's chances of survival.I don't know anything more about that, but I would check parts availibility.Good luck.

Defiant was premier stove when first introduced in early 70's

IMHO, however it has lost market share dramatically because it has not kept up with technology and aesthetics of Jotul, etccc

Agree strongly with potential bankruptcy issues and continued support availability, although with large number in service, I would suspect new supplier would surface.

Cracks/warping/damage from overfire, poor handling, etc are a definite concern in any used stove.
Back plate often cracked and expensive/time consuming to repair, even if do it self.

Cat models definitely less desireable.

$500 is average price (lower especially in summer) for good model with none of above defects and not needing gasket/cement overhaul.

Thanks for all the great advice, gentlemen.

I talked him down a little bit on the price, but then another guy was willing to pay full $$ so I walked away.

I have also heard about the bankruptcy stuff, and the later model quality issues so I will keep looking. Perhaps for an older one, or a Jotul.

Peter

May have been a win-win for you.

As I stated above, in its 70-80's day those old Defiants were the last word in woodstoves.
The Company and Owners were like one big 'Kum-By-Ya' kit and ka-boodle of a mutual adoration society.

Each new stove had a card identifying which employee built it for you.

They periodically put out an extremely informative and helpful newsletter to all owners, and invited all to come to the Factory once a year for an Owners Appreciation Party which included typical New England fun and food and tours of the still mostly hand crafted factory.

However, when the EPA made them use the Cats to meet emission, and the competition kept improving and eating market share, and they merged with an inferior competitor to conserve $$$, IMHO, things went downhill fast.

If you could find an older non cat with Glass Doors, and no problems, it would be well worth $500 to me.

However, there is a reason why the Marketplace values comp sized Jotuls (F500/600) at 2-3 times that price.

sure don't want to take over

but I just bought a new cat for my 7 year old stove along with a cat thermometer and some gaskets..the old man at the store told me vermont castings is out. I have researched a little..mine only 7 years old..don't need major parts. but replaced the cat thermometer and stopped there. I have run a cat stove for 7 years with GOOD DRY SEASONED wood and I am single so nobody else runs it. I replaced an old coal stove out of the caboose of a train so obviously I don't have experience with a non cat real stove..but I tell ya..I love mine. not to knock the non cat people..less parts more reliable..I get that part..but when I run my burn box at 350 and putting out a ton more than that at the top. I will continue to save wood and enjoy the heat. Do some more research next time..parts are available..money came into question and I don't blame you for walking away..but I have to be the spokesman for cat stoves. If you can prove me wrong..I can take it..just my .02

Latest posts

Back