A question for all you sparkies!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimilkman1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Due to high winds in the thumb of Michigan last night I have no power. I have a CB5036 with 1 taco pump and was wondering if I could put a plug on the main power supply to run off of a generator. I ran an extension cord to the stove and ran the pump and circulated the hot water through the house for a while ( I have a forced air system ). I am fortunate that the forecast isn't calling for terribly cold weather the next couple of days, but if circumstances were different I could be in a world of trouble. So back to my point. With only the thermostat, damper solenoid, and the single pump is there a way I could put a cord with a plug on it to run off a generator to keep the water from freezing and keep at least a little heat in my house?

Kyle

very easy to do if you are electrically minded.For the not so electrically minded would be to have an electrician friend put a double pole switch in-line with your furnace controls and an outlet so you could plug your generator to it and not backfeed the grid.Otherwise have a small transfer switch and panel installed for your necessary power needs.

All you really have to do is disconnect the electrical feed to the boiler and connect a heavy cord with a plug to it. The trick is to make sure the cord will carry the amps the boiler draws. Also the cord to the generator. Forget 18 gauge stuff, at least #14.

Setting an outlet in the regular feed and plugging the cord to the boiler in it would make it easier the next time as suggested above.

Thusly (is that a word?)

The safest way to do this is do put a short cords on the equipment that needs to be transfered. That way there is no chance of backfeeding the grid.

I think having a generator on hand is half the battle, With enough extension cords it is plenty practical. Mind your over all load on the generator.

-Pat

But if you think about it having short cords wired in all the male ends would be hot all the time if they were hard wired in.Best advice is if you have to ask how to wire something you should not be doing it and have someone that knows what he is doing do it......

That problem is solved by using an "inlet" receptacle...it is a male plug recessed into a housing...P&S, Hubbell, etc. all make those. And I would strongly recommend making that a turnlock type, won't fall/vibrate out.

I recently just switched all my pumps to extention cord ends.

Allows me to just pull the plug out of the recepticle and plug it into a extension cord plugged into my generator or the inverter in the motor home.

I just needed one 6 hour power failure to convince me of making the change.

Another plus is instant removal and walk away with the pump. :)

I backfeed the power....
1. Disconnect main power supply into house to eliminate the possibility of backfeeding to the main lines and shocking a utility worker.
2. Make a heavy gauge wire to feed from your generators 220 plug to a convenient 220 receptacle. Circuit should be rated for at least the max amps your generator is capable of producing at 220v.....I use the dryer receptacle.
3. Turn off all 220 breakers except for the one for the chosen receptacle. Turn off all light switches, etc. (you can turn on other 220 curcuits as long as it's not overloading the generator)
4. Plug in generator cord into chosen 220 receptacle then into running generator.
5. Enjoy electricity in your entire house, just don't overload the generator or the circuits capacity.

****Advice: plug in all your appliances,tv's, etc into surge protectors beforehand. My neighbor had a generator that was bad from the factory and fried every electrical device in his house.

Bad advice. The law requires a positive means of preventing back feeding to the grid. Manually shutting off the main breaker isn't good enough. The cheapest and easiest LEGAL solution is http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

Nothing wrong with fitting a plug to your boiler as long it isn't hardwired too. As I said, just set an outlet at the end of the housewire feed and plug it into it when the power comes back in.

We have been lucky. The worst of the ice storm went around us. Nothing more here than a few flickers.

If you have to ask this question, best to not do any wiring.

What you can do is have an electrician install outlets and plugs on things which are currently "hardwired". Then you could use your generator and extension cords to power these during an outage.

-or-

Have an electrician install a transfer switch.

BTW - DON'T install plugs / outlets if you are not sure of what you are doing. I've seen thousands of dollars of damage done from people connecting a wire to the wrong terminal. Seems to be a simple thing, but one wire on the wrong terminal - sparks fly and electronic controls are damaged along with wiring.

Last edited:
I backfeed the power....
1. Disconnect main power supply into house to eliminate the possibility of backfeeding to the main lines and shocking a utility worker.
2. Make a heavy gauge wire to feed from your generators 220 plug to a convenient 220 receptacle. Circuit should be rated for at least the max amps your generator is capable of producing at 220v.....I use the dryer receptacle.
3. Turn off all 220 breakers except for the one for the chosen receptacle. Turn off all light switches, etc. (you can turn on other 220 curcuits as long as it's not overloading the generator)
4. Plug in generator cord into chosen 220 receptacle then into running generator.
5. Enjoy electricity in your entire house, just don't overload the generator or the circuits capacity.

****Advice: plug in all your appliances,tv's, etc into surge protectors beforehand. My neighbor had a generator that was bad from the factory and fried every electrical device in his house.

I called my BIL ( a master electrician )and this is what he did for me. I finally got power back today around 12:30 pm. This ended up being an expensive storm for me I plugged my fridge in yesterday to the generator and the motor wouldn't kick on so I had to get a new one. It could have been much worse I know but I had my heart set on a new MS 361.:cry:

Thanks for all the replys. I think now I may look into getting a propane powered backup generator and not worry about this problem again.

Kyle

Cj: Your an idiot! 95% of the people that respond to these post about electrical have no clue what is legal or safe. So I have to ask why do a all you wanna-be's want to play electrician? Do you want a lawsuit? Burn your home down? I won't even respond to this posters question, there has been too much discussion about it, not to be rude, just honest, do a search. "Lab", you giving electrical advice is like me telling other folks how too tune a saw or put a big-bore kit on it........In other words, unless you do a trade every day that you are licensed/trained in, shut thy pie-hole!
Reading alot of electrical posts, I beleive there are prolly about a dozen Wirenuts that sound like they know what is going on that frequent this site, beyond that, forget about it. Sorry to vent fellas, just pisses me off to no end that people give the most stupid advice, and to top it off, could give a rats ass! There not the ones getting hurt, burning crap up. This site is to learn/help other good natured folks, not to harm/cause pain.

Myself:

5 year electrical engineering degree
2 year industrial automation degree
2 year construction electrician degree
Class-a journeyman
Class-a master
Class-a contractor

Do one thing well, the rest who cares about, hire it out!

I'm done:censored: Get me a beer!

Sorry if I offended anyone:(

Cj: Your an idiot! 95% of the people that respond to these post about electrical have no clue what is legal or safe. So I have to ask why do a all you wanna-be's want to play electrician? Do you want a lawsuit? Burn your home down? I won't even respond to this posters question, there has been too much discussion about it, not to be rude, just honest, do a search. "Lab", you giving electrical advice is like me telling other folks how too tune a saw or put a big-bore kit on it........In other words, unless you do a trade every day that you are licensed/trained in, shut thy pie-hole!
Reading alot of electrical posts, I beleive there are prolly about a dozen Wirenuts that sound like they know what is going on that frequent this site, beyond that, forget about it. Sorry to vent fellas, just pisses me off to no end that people give the most stupid advice, and to top it off, could give a rats ass! There not the ones getting hurt, burning crap up. This site is to learn/help other good natured folks, not to harm/cause pain.

Myself:

Class-a journeyman
Class-a master
Class-a contractor

But how do you really feel about it???:hmm3grin2orange: You are absolutely correct though. I was a manager of a local hardware/lumber store when the ice storm hit here in '98...we were without power for 2 weeks and some more. People were coming in droves to buy our generators and asking for advice. I declined all advice to hard wire in other than if it has a cord, then plug it in. I gave out all the numbers of the local electricians I could think of. I sold many Ronk boxes which were very well built and legal to install as a main disconnect. I gave lots of advice on what they should seperate into an emergency breaker box for the Ronk to hook into. I had one guy come in and tell me he fired up his generator, hooked in the 220 line to his box, which he said he turned off the main breaker and proceded to plug it into the running 9500 watt generator which in turn threw him into the garage wall. He said he doesn't know how long he was out. I told him "I told you not to try it yourself" as he rolled his eyes and agreed. There is many ways to "make it work" but there is only one way to do it right and that takes a professional. I wired my own house, but of course had to be inspected and it passed but when it comes to generator disconnects and proper loading on each leg I call in the professionals. Just my 2 cents

this is my opinion of the proper setup to have with a portable generator. i know what im doing but im not always home. i dont have to worry about the wife or somebody else backfeeding or overloading, because my generator is rated high enough for the six circuits and the switches are three position. it also has power meter. i have a 220 twist lock plug on the outside of the house that feeds the switch.

Myself:

Class-a journeyman
Class-a master
Class-a contractor

LOL....I guess your on this forum to further your knowledge on that one thing you are trying to do so well. All kidding aside, plenty of people do things themselves to save money like splitting wood, fixing their own saws/cars, etc and as long as it's legal and they are capable of doing it, so what. I agree that if you are not sure or what you are doing or it's not safe...get someone that knows what they are doing to do it.

BTW...did you notice how his brother in law(the master electrician) wired his generator up?

JW: Yup, looks top notch. You don't need the "main" interlock since you have those little 3 position cuties. Code will allow up to "6" grouped disconnects to kill power. I beleive you can buy those panels at Menards and farm stores, it looks familiar. I have never used one, they look good though!
Thanks for picture, now i'm a little more calm. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am an licenced electrician of 8 yrs in central illinois and my advice is this. If you have to ask tecknical questions then you need a technition to answer them. electricity is something you should not experiment with. is $200 worht burning your house down or damaging some appliances in you house, or backfeeding the utility, wich in illinois they can actualy fine you for. not trying to be rude or anything. just use your head and hire someone who knows what he is doing. not only that if they make a mistake it will come out of there pocket and not yours

Back