Acceptable compression ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjd56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently resurrected my Sachs-Dolmar 120 Super with help from this forum and wondering what these had for compression when new and what would be the threshold for a top end refresh/replacement. I got 134 psi when I measured with some light oil in the cylinder (since it had been sitting for a few years). It runs well as is and I have no reason to suspect there is a problem, but I am curious.

Length and type of hose can affect the numbers, I learned that just recently. Point being your numbers compared to others doesn’t mean much. If you think your too low, maybe you actually are not.

[QUOTE="jltrent, post: Usually if they have 135 a new set of good quality rings will boost it upwards tp 150+ if the piston skirt is not worn to bad.[/QUOTE]

thanks for that.
So there is potential for more power if needed.
Still would like to know the numbers when this saw was new....

Length and type of hose can affect the numbers, I learned that just recently. Point being your numbers compared to others doesn’t mean much. If you think your too low, maybe you actually are not.

Did not consider the hose as a factor! Mine is rubber, about a foot long and fairly stiff, no braiding on the outside. My guess would be that I’m over 135 at this point.
Based on a prior reply, I’m not going to touch it.
Thanks.

The way I understand it is that they are such small displacements every little factor affects the number. I mean look at the volume of a rubber hose with an ID of 1/4” and 12” long that comes out to almost 10ccs right there. That’s a fifth of most saw engine sizes

I just went through this with a saw build. I have an OTC that was reading 122, ring gap is tight, schrader valve at end of hose. I changed the schrader valve and still the same reading then bought another tester (cheap one) with a shorter hose and schrader at end of hose, same reading. The only thing I believe that is affecting my readings is altitude, taking 4% for every 1K puts me at about 140 at sea level. I know this build wont have a lot of compression since it's .038 on squish but if I gain another 10-15lbs as the rings seat it wont be bad. Saw starts easily and runs fine, seems to have plenty of power so far for a new build.

So there's no doubt a saw, or car, low on compression will still run but it's the numbers that matter when evaluating its condition compared to new.
AND the equipment used to test needs to be good.
Does anyone with Sachs-Dolmar saw maintenance experience know what the compression on a new 1985-6ish 120 Super would have been?
I would like to know but it may be a spec lost to history where this saw is concerned. :(

So there's no doubt a saw, or car, low on compression will still run but it's the numbers that matter when evaluating its condition compared to new.
Does anyone with Sachs-Dolmar saw maintenance experience know what the compression on a new 1985-6ish 120 Super would have been?
I would like to know but it may be a spec lost to history where this saw is concerned. :(
160-175 psi
My Makita DCS 6800i (same saw in green) tested right around 170, saw was well used but internals were excellent. If it runs good I wouldn’t sweat it.
Fact
DCS stands for Dolmar Chain Saw

My brand new 120S bought in August of 1985 would register 170 on my Snap On gauge and 173 on my Tuffy brand gauge. My dads 116SI would reach 175 when cold, it had some hours on it by the time I tried his.

My 372 is at 210. 262 was 190, rebuilt a 55 no run time 180. Most stock Husqvarna are around 150. Results may vary.

How many hours do you have on the new rings? I suspect they will settle in and compression will go up once it gets broken in a bit. Feed it quality fuel and oil, tune it a little thick and run it. Check it again once you get a good stretch of run time under its belt and I'd suspect it will test better. Don't get hung up on a number if it's running good. That's the real test.

The way I understand it is that they are such small displacements every little factor affects the number. I mean look at the volume of a rubber hose with an ID of 1/4” and 12” long that comes out to almost 10ccs right there. That’s a fifth of most saw engine sizes
Not really. That's only a factor of there isn't a Schrader valve at the tip. A long hose only means you have to pull more times.

Back