Acorns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m staying with a friend for a couple days and his oaks are dropping acorns like mad. Been hit several times between last nights dinner and morning coffee.

Every tree on his street has acorns everywhere. Is it a high mast year elsewhere as well?

C39C9EEE-4642-4D81-B628-0B423439065D.jpeg A4AC1548-A30C-45DA-8C01-0DF8A0EE080E.jpeg

I noticed that myself while mowing on Saturday. I have a few big red oaks and they are dropping them hard already.

We had a bumper crop from one tree last fall. Never seen so many acorns. Squirrel population was booming too.

It’s going to be a bad winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im sorry but trees don't predict future weather. They grow in response to their conditions. Plus, I've read that every X amount of years, oak trees produce an abundance of acorns. Last year was one of those years around here.

I always read that individual trees had heavy and light mast years and perhaps this is a naturally heavy year coupled with the rainforest conditions we’ve received recently which caused the super bumper crop?

I have all white oaks, I nearly have to shovel the driveway every 3 days.

All Bur Oaks here and haven't noticed any yet. Our garage roof is tin so I definitely hear when they start, and where we back our vehicles out is shaded by a rather large one so you notice when you back up over them. Last year was an early year for them to fall but it was a dry year. This spring was really wet, and we haven't gone more than 3 weeks without at least an inch of rain it seems through July and August. I trimmed up quite a few trees around the acreage early this spring so I won't be able to really gauge how many fall.

Could be a bad winter for us, lake michigan is gonna be piss warm by the end of the summer, and the warmer it is, longer it takes to gain ice cover, the longer we are exposed to lake effect snow.

+1
A bad winter for me is shoveling 4 feet of snow off the camp roof more than once.

Acorns started dropping within the past few days, picked a couple handfuls up and fed to the goats and horse. Walnuts started falling as well, temps just need to start falling more during the day.

Seems like most of them are falling without the crowns though, which seems odd to me.

Back