Advice needed on buying ..Husqvarna 372xp - Echo 680 - Shindaiwa 757

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delanda

Reaction score
Hi All. My name is Julian, these is my first post and would like some advice on which saw buy.
A little info about why i am choosing these 3.
I own a shindy 446 and i need something bigger since i am dealing with eucalyptus (medium hard wood) about 28" and my 18"bar is giving me a hard time. the 446 is great and i gets the job done..but it takes alot of effort.
Also have a husqvarna 45..i know they are well built and i heard that the new ones are better that this 90´s 45
I dont know much about the echos, but in this forum seams to have alot of fans, so i must be a really good saw.
The prices, are pretty much all the same here. The echo and husky came with 20" bar, and the shindy came with 28" .
To stihls fans..they are out of the ecuation..a 381/382 cost about 25% more and they are made in Brazil, while the echo and shindy are made in Japan and the Husky is made in Sweden.
Thanks in advance.

I'd take the husky out of those three choices. That's a pretty solid Shindaiwa model, but it's also old, and Shindaiwa has since been bought out by Yamabiko, who also owns echo. I'd be a little concerned about parts for it in the future. Your dealer should be able to swap whatever bar you want on it when you buy it. Also, the husky 365 is basically the same saw with a different air filter. You might be better served with the 372 filter in eucalyptus, but if you want to save some money, you can pick up the 365 and pop off the transfer port covers. Grind away the baffle in there and you've got a 372.

That’s not a 70cc saw.

Oh, and I’d get the Husky. There’s a reason Husqvarna just can’t seem to discontinue that model. I wouldn’t doubt it’s the most popular “big saw” they’ve ever made.

Don’t let people lead you to believe a 60cc saw “cuts like a 70cc saw”. Only in dreams...

28” trees? Even 70cc saws don’t REALLY rip with 32” bars. Adequate is all. Consider a Dolmar 7910 (Makita) maybe?

I thought Brazil made some good stuff??

I'm also in the market in that range but am leaning towards the 576xp. Little more weight but more stout and proven track record as well. But I'm waiting to see what the cs680 replacement is all about first. X73 I believe it is and is said to be aimed at domination of the 70cc market. Not sure how long you can wait to see what it's about though. The 680 is durable as hell but not that powerful of a saw. I would expect the 572 to stomp it.

I would get the Husqvarna 372XP and never look back.

Echo needs to build a 70-75cc saw based on the CS-590/600/620 platform. The CS-6700/670/680's are old designs, tough as nails but WAY down in power production and cutting speed compared to a 372XP.........IMHO.......Cliff

I'm also in the market in that range but am leaning towards the 576xp. Little more weight but more stout and proven track record as well. But I'm waiting to see what the cs680 replacement is all about first. X73 I believe it is and is said to be aimed at domination of the 70cc market. Not sure how long you can wait to see what it's about though. The 680 is durable as hell but not that powerful of a saw. I would expect the 572 to stomp it.

Why would you need a 576 if your Echo 620 pulls a 36” bar so good:chop:

I agree with the 372, easy to find a dealer anywhere around, huge aftermarket for that model and they're still in production.

An awesome tried and true design. I keep a couple around for my needs.

The 757 is a really great saw but they're close to the end of the line and there aren't too many around.

The CS-680 is a solid design but antiquated.

372 would be the most viable IMHO.

i was in a similar search a few months back. stihl 382 (reformed 038), husky 372xp, 288xp (almost same price as the 372) makita 7901. ended up buying the makita because the price was the lowest (around $600 ).
the 79cc makita/dolmar/dolkita weights the same as the 73cc makita. I cannot tell how it works yet :lol: seems hard to start and floods really easy. i took it the other day for a trial and i'm a bit embarassed to say i could not get the machine to start:(. it flooded really bad.

i'll probably start a thread later this week since there aren't many makita users here.

i do think the 372 is made in brazil as well. the 288 is definitely made in brazil. the makita is german made. will that really matter while cutting a log? who knows?.

i was in a similar search a few months back. stihl 382 (reformed 038), husky 372xp, 288xp (almost same price as the 372) makita 7901. ended up buying the makita because the price was the lowest (around $600 ).
the 79cc makita/dolmar/dolkita weights the same as the 73cc makita. I cannot tell how it works yet :lol: seems hard to start and floods really easy. i took it the other day for a trial and i'm a bit embarassed to say i could not get the machine to start:(. it flooded really bad.

i'll probably start a thread later this week since there aren't many makita users here.

i do think the 372 is made in brazil as well. the 288 is definitely made in brazil. the makita is german made. will that really matter while cutting a log? who knows?.
1) We can still purchase a new 288xp?? What!
2) With concerns with things like being made in Brazil /Germany... What about Dolmar being purchased by Makita? I have been wanting to try out a Dolmar for a while now, but with Makita stating they are no longer developing gas saws, only battery kind of scares me. I gather they will keep producing saws like the 7910 unti they no longer meat EPA standards, but that can happen fairly quick. We already see many of the big saws being discontinued because of this. So would/could there be a situation where parts dry up prematurely for saws like the 7910?

I got a used 372. But only because I was in the right place at the right time to get a really good deal.
It's not too heavy and fairly slender. Enough so that I would never need a 60cc saw.

I looked at a really nice used Makita 6421 for a similar price, which in a lot of ways seems like a better built saw, and the smooth rounded shape is appealing. But it's noticeably heavier than the 372, and seems bigger somehow. And I like the 372 filter better also.

I certainly wouldn't have minded getting a similar deal on a similar condition 2171 though, even with it's lesser air filter.
Just a better looking saw I think, whatever that's worth.

The CS-680 is a solid design but antiquated.

I've owned two CS-670's and a CS-6700. None of them were overly impressive anyplace but very well built saws and dead solid reliable. To this day I'm not sure why Echo hasn't hit the 70cc market with a much better design based off the CS-620PW.

I would probably still have at least one of the CS-670's but if you have a 268XP at your disposal you'll never find yourself reaching for a one.......FWIW.......Cliff

If you're cutting 28" hardwood regularly 372xp is on the low end of enough grunt. 7900 or 385/390 is much better.

The Shindaiwa and Echo 680 will be a headache. The 80cc Echo might be another good option.

I owned a CS-800 as well, and it's low on power for 80cc, or at least if you compare it to a Husqvarna Pro saw in that range like my 181SE.

Don't get me wrong, it did OK for what it was, but I didn't like the flat air filter and having to remove a goofy rubber plug to make carb adjustments. The oiler was also engine driven, not clutch driven.......Cliff

I'd say get you a 372xp. But then again, I'm a tad partial.

update: called to a few dealers and husqvarna and echo told me that getting the saw with a 28" adds around 150 bucks (except shindaiwa that has a 28" from factory) the cons on the sindaiwa ...it weights a little more than the husky and that is important since i am weight around 165 pounds.
Prices are:
Husky 372xp with 28" bar 875 USD
Echo 680 with 28" bar 850 USD
Shindy 757 with 28" bar 700 USD.
Next week i will visiting all 3 dealers to check how the saw feels in my hand..and meke sure the husky is made in sweeden and not in brazil.
Thanks so much for all the advices and inputs ..now its time to take the old 446 and cut some wood :)

Latest posts

Back