Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative to bleach for sterilizing

Discussion in 'Plant Health' started by Yellowdog, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Yellowdog

Yellowdog ArboristSite Operative

I'm looking for an alternative to bleach for sterilizing my saws and tools after working with oak wilt (Ceratocystis fagacearum).

The last class I took, the forester said he would no longer use bleach after damaging his chainsaws. He stated the heat and petroleum products on a chain aren't good for the fungus but I would still like to sterilize my saws between trees especially when using a pole saw that just has a blade. I have looked at industrial strength Lysol and products like Barbisol that have been used for years on fungi.

Anyone have a solution? TIA

2. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Addicted to ArboristSite

There are some oxygen based sanitizers used in the brewing industry, where bacterial or fungal contamination is a huge problem. When I brewed at home I used a product called sani-clean in a spray bottle, but there are more powerful products out there.

3. jomoco

jomoco Tree Freak

I keep waiting for a tool manufacturing outfit to design loppers with detachable handles so the steel cutting blades can be heat sterilized, in a minute or two.

Are you listening Corona?

Jomoco

4. Leeroy

Leeroy ArboristSite Lurker

Listerine? Originally used to sterilize surgical instruments.

5. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Operative