Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up with this one yesterday. Needs an air filter and air filter cover though for it to be complete. Turned out all right I think.

View attachment 624320

View attachment 624321

The air filter is just like the one that Moepower needs, so if anyone has an extra.... I'd really appreciate it.

well ****... offered it to him bout a week ago. guess I could donate the other to yer db. nice job on it. would like to see.

Sent a message to your in box.

got it. need to find lil box. send yer info. prolly wont go for few days, tho.

well ****... offered it to him bout a week ago. guess I could donate the other to yer db. nice job on it. would like to see.

I know! haha that's what I thought too!
I'm working on my truck this weekend, but if your around in the evenings next week I might be able to swing by with the DB to show you.

Very nice! I'm torn if I should re-paint mine as it is fairly decent (aside from the decals).
Not sure what kind of paint Mcculloch used but it was some pretty tough stuff, and put on heavy.

I had a Fairbanks Morse recoil that was shredding starter ropes because the original rope bushing in the recoil housing was worn through. I was trying to figure out what I could use to replace it with and had an idea. I picked out a .380 shell casing and measured it and it was the perfect size. I cut off the base of the casing and used a tapered 1/4" drive socket with some grease on it where it contacted the casing and a C-clamp to roll the edges.
55ca83ea4f374e472e677e380d3e0720.jpg
663d96f6b79c4a9ac4b061cad7635c99.jpg
8ea722db109f239e8ba4d418642b955b.jpg
c35012129f63c2f0594d20d28b2677a1.jpg
c7489fce43bb6f0c0fe9ddd014d90ea8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi,
First thank you to the forum.... you have helped me get a few stihl manuals and drawings..... and a great help.

I could use some help on the value of this Tilton 420 Automatic..... and maybe date of mfg from serial number in pic.....I am interested in selling the saw and leads to collectors would be good also.

I came across this very nice Tilton 420 Automatic chainsaw.... Seems to be from the mid 1960s but could use some help with the value and who might want it. I put a new fuel line on it, cleaned the jets, and just did some normal work. I have not even cleaned the case yet in these pics and still looks great. I say this is a 85% saw. These apprear to be made by Lombard and just like the AP42. I have a Operators & parts manuals for the lombard (look pretty close), but not the tilton manuals..... might need to find guys in Canada. Reading shows me Lombard was marketed in Canada under Tilton, pics of. Other saws in Lombard look just like it in orange and black where my is Tilton Red. Starts right up, runs and idles even cold. Too nice a saw and should be in someones collection.

Does smoke some..... so needs the duck bill change on breather on oil tank to crankcase. IF anyone has some pics and or video of this update please let me know where or send to me. I have read and found a few but not clear on the task yet. Not sure if should modify a "collector" saw.

This saw BLATS and is very loud.... I did not cut wood with it.... but readins say its a beast. TAG says mix 16:1 and I use a 32:1 synthetic from Baileys. Does this beast need the 16:1 or is the 32:1 ok for limited run and tuned it. I just saw the 16:1 when looking at serial #IMG_8170.JPG IMG_8171.JPG IMG_8174.JPG IMG_8172.JPG IMG_8175.JPG IMG_8176.JPG IMG_8177.JPG IMG_8178.JPG

Here are some of the pics.... nice saw the only place the paint is broken badly is the handle where a dirty boot knocked the paint off. Keep in mind the case has not been cleaned up by me..... or would look a lot nicer.

Attachments

• IMG_8173.JPG
    IMG_8173.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 13
Value? Hard question to answer. There is not set blue book. Thats a nice relabeled Lombard, but you would have to find someone who was really looking for one to get much out of it.

Put it this way, thats a run of the mill fairly common saw as a Lombard. They don't bring much money and putting the Tilton decal I don't think is going to make it jump out of sight.

In the end, they are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would give you $50 right now for it, so at least at this point today, its worth $50. Tomorrow could be more maybe, never know what someone would see in it.

Value? Hard question to answer. There is not set blue book. Thats a nice relabeled Lombard,
In the end, they are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would give you $50 right now for it, so at least at this point today, its worth $50. Tomorrow could be more maybe, never know what someone would see in it.

Hi,
Thanks for the offer..... and agreement its a decent looking machine.
I did some research and there were about 10 of these on CL across the US with a listing price of $150 - 275 and half of had parts missing and/or did not run. The $275 ran but was missing the air box cover over the filter. I told a local saw collector a few days ago.... would be happy with $160. My unit seems pretty clean compaired to the other for sale on CL. Few of these Lombard or Tilton have sold on Ebay....even past sales.

I think $50 is little low for nice old saw that runs well, starts well, and idles......just a guess on my part..... but thank you for confidence in my efforts.
To clean the body, flush out the tanks, clean the carb some, new rope knot for starter/puller, spark plug, clean air box..... my work would be nearly $50 alone.
Next step will clean up the case properly and then do a hot compression check and see the compression health of engine.

Hi,
Thanks for the offer..... and agreement its a decent looking machine.
I did some research and there were about 10 of these on CL across the US with a listing price of $150 - 275 and half of had parts missing and/or did not run. The $275 ran but was missing the air box cover over the filter. I told a local saw collector a few days ago.... would be happy with $160. My unit seems pretty clean compaired to the other for sale on CL. Few of these Lombard or Tilton have sold on Ebay....even past sales.

I think $50 is little low for nice old saw that runs well, starts well, and idles......just a guess on my part..... but thank you for confidence in my efforts.
To clean the body, flush out the tanks, clean the carb some, new rope knot for starter/puller, spark plug, clean air box..... my work would be nearly $50 alone.
Next step will clean up the case properly and then do a hot compression check and see the compression health of engine.

My stating $50 was not a offer, I'm not interested in Lombards. It was just the point of it being worth what someone is willing to give setting the price for it.

Searching listings and asking prices is interesting but dose not tell the whole story. Finding out what they are actually selling for is more telling as to setting a value.

If your confident in what you think its worth, go list it on ebay and start it at $.99 and see where it goes.

Here is my Allis Chalmers collection since I finally got the last missing piece last week.

From what I am told, there is only one other collection known that has all 7 AC saws.

They are all in excellent shape and all run like they are suppose to, all but the little 65 which will run as soon as the new points come in for it.

7 AC saws (Custom).jpg

Latest posts

Back