Any vermeer sc362 reviews?? Anybody

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a new sc362 stump grinder and cant find any reveiws. they have been out for a couple years and no reveiws. anyone own one or know anyone who does? im looking at the 35 hp briggs . thanks for any input

Afaik it is available since 2 years, I think it will be alright. Proved parts and engine, probably the hydraulic steering may not be as maneuverable as the 252/292 three wheel. Tried it once, the 2 speed is nice. Another cutting system could be a good choice.

Afaik it is available since 2 years, I think it will be alright. Proved parts and engine, probably the hydraulic steering may not be as maneuverable as the 252/292 three wheel. Tried it once, the 2 speed is nice. Another cutting system could be a good choice.
Hey marne , what did you mean by another cutting system could be a good choice? when you tried it did it seem better than the 252?( since has more power) i have a 2005 252 now and its just getting old. looking to upgrade but cant get a machine to much longer than the 252 as it wont fit in my truck

Yes for sure it is more powerful and yellow jackets are nothing I would keep on that machine. But I'm not sure if the price isn't a bit tough. For a fraction of it you can rebuild your 252 and a 362 will not propeller you so much forward to judge the difference.

I have a 630b Vermeer that is tired. I am thinking of purchasing a sc362. Hp is roughy the same but believe the torque is a good bit high on the 630b. Can anyone tell me how they are going to compare on grinding? Thanks!

I have a new sc362 with a whopping 14 hours on it. So far I'm loving it but I don't have much to compare to since this is my first grinder. Lots of learning curve but I'm starting to get better all the time. There is a big difference between say
a Pine or Spruce and a Oak. With a soft wood I can take 1 in. with each pass compared to 3/8 in. on the Oak. Chips build up fast so to keep from running over the pile and raising up the machine I pause a lot to rake chips away from the front of the tires. I have mostly been going to a depth of 8-10 in. because people seem to be happy with that. I did smoke the secondary belt because I didn't check tension at 5 hrs. per Vermeer recommendations. I won't do that again.
So far I'm way ahead of the $100. per hour of machine time per job standard. Probably more like $150.
Vermeer tends to build things like Caterpillar so there is a generous amount of steel in this machine everywhere.
I don't think I could hurt it unless I forgot to tie it down and rolled it off the trailer. I'm really glad I didn't get the
252 or sc30tx because horsepower and torque are super important to get in and get out as fast as possible.
The operator presence system is somewhat of a nuisance. It would be nice to be able to let go of the controls for
a few seconds to take a look at the blind side of the stump without stopping the cutter. I'll get used to it.
All comments welcome!

I have a new sc362 with a whopping 14 hours on it. So far I'm loving it but I don't have much to compare to since this is my first grinder. Lots of learning curve but I'm starting to get better all the time. There is a big difference between say
a Pine or Spruce and a Oak. With a soft wood I can take 1 in. with each pass compared to 3/8 in. on the Oak. Chips build up fast so to keep from running over the pile and raising up the machine I pause a lot to rake chips away from the front of the tires. I have mostly been going to a depth of 8-10 in. because people seem to be happy with that. I did smoke the secondary belt because I didn't check tension at 5 hrs. per Vermeer recommendations. I won't do that again.
So far I'm way ahead of the $100. per hour of machine time per job standard. Probably more like $150.
Vermeer tends to build things like Caterpillar so there is a generous amount of steel in this machine everywhere.
I don't think I could hurt it unless I forgot to tie it down and rolled it off the trailer. I'm really glad I didn't get the
252 or sc30tx because horsepower and torque are super important to get in and get out as fast as possible.
The operator presence system is somewhat of a nuisance. It would be nice to be able to let go of the controls for
a few seconds to take a look at the blind side of the stump without stopping the cutter. I'll get used to it.
All comments welcome!
im thinking of buying a sc362 any more info ?

I bought a new 362 in 2018 and have since put over 1,000 hours on it. I've had no issues with the Briggs engine. Before I had the 362 I had a 252. I like the 362 a lot more than the 252, it grinds twice as fast and the cutter wheel has better visibility. It's also more stable, especially with the duals removed than the 3 wheeled 252. I'm still on the original cutter wheel bearings, the 252 bearings were undersized and didn't last more than 200-300 hours. I have replaced several parts on the 362 but I'm still quite happy with it as well as the support from my local vermeer dealer.

Go to the Greenwheel with 900 series Greenteeth. Huge increase in productivity and a big drop in fuel consumption. Been using one on a SC352 repowerd with the Briggs fuel injected engine for many years and it saved me from buying a larger machine. 6 teeth vs 20 teeth means less drag and more power to the teeth. Cooler running too.

Thinking of buying a new sc362 stump grinder and cant find any reveiws. they have been out for a couple years and no reveiws. anyone own one or know anyone who does? im looking at the 35 hp briggs . thanks for any input
Great machine. Plenty of power. Very reliable with the Briggs or the Honda. Have been using both for years.

Back