Anybody familiar with this chain??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got a length of this chain given to me by my friend. He referred to it as digger chain. I just need to add three drive links to let it fit my Stihl 20" bars. Looks like it could generate some wicked kickback. The only markings it has are on the drive links--K3. Interestingly, the cutting teeth are on the drive links and not the tie straps. Has anybody here used this chain before?

I've never seen it, but I've heard of trencher chain...supposedly you can use an old bar and this chain to dig skinny trenches for running cable, phone, etc.

?

I have a loop of that chain that I wished I showed Lambert
when he was here, it is some wild looking stuff.

K3 is the model of Carlton .325 .063 ga.

Tree Monkey is right.
Kolve is the type chain. Great dirt, stumper, yard bucking, and overall dirty chain.
No longer in business, I knew Jerry Kolve, and traveled with him.
Is the easiest I ever used to sharpen.
He did use some other companies parts to cut costs, but made the cutters, and assembled it.

Originally posted by eyolf
I've never seen it, but I've heard of trencher chain...supposedly you can use an old bar and this chain to dig skinny trenches for running cable, phone, etc.

?

Has anyone seen a saw powered trencher ? I looked at one that was powered by a Homelite Super EZ. It used a small scale trencher chain. I would like to find one just to play with.

Bill

Kolve Chain

Can't make out your picture very well but I have some rolls of Kolve Chain. Pretty sure mine is 3/8 50ga

Was designed to cut dirty wood by "precutting" on both sides of the channel prior to the cutter coming into the wood.

Specifically for the timber of Mount Saint Helen. Was told it was designed for Uncle Sam

Cutter is at 5 degrees. You need 1/4 files for this chain and a special depth gage. Same degree as some ripping chain.

The only hassle to the chain is filing the butterfly cutters even so the chain doesn't travel.

This chain cuts wood to a very smooth finish. Guess it depends on the wood. y personal experience with cherry, Oak pine cuts it so fine it needs no sanding. Looks like it was finished by a planner

Kolve butterfly Chain

Cuts wood very smoth.

Cutter angle is 5 to 10 degrees
Raker is .015 and wing is .030

Trencher "saw"

Originally posted by Bill G
Has anyone seen a saw powered trencher ? I looked at one that was powered by a Homelite Super EZ. It used a small scale trencher chain. I would like to find one just to play with.

Bill

Funny that this should come up. About 15 years ago I used a handheld "chainsaw" trencher that had about a 24" bar, and cut a 1.5" wide trench, using trencher chain similar in gauge to that on the smallest ditch witch we used. The powerhead end of the bar had augers to push tailings away from the trench. I can't remember who made it, but I believe it was "bought" as opposed to home-made.

Over the last month or so I've been trying to find something like it. I understand that there's a company in Australia that sells a trench bar/chain combo to attach to the powerhead you specify, but I can't find the web site (I found it once, didn't bookmark it -- and can't find it any longer).

Back