anyone tell me anything about this???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I have to agree with Mr. Randy on this one. It looks like a 250 to me too. I would the water got to the old saw. If it's close I would get it for that price.

That bar looks way to nice to have seen much water, could be oily saw dust making that rusty color.

for that price I would go get it.

appreciate it everyone.. I too was worried about it being seized from sitting. With 100+ heat indexes we get, it gets a bit toasty in garages. Tried to email the guy a few times but he seems clueless to what he has, doesn't know one thing about it, maybe can try to get it for next to nothing.. guess I will try and get up there to look at it this weekend.. thanks again.

It looks like a 1-41 to me.

attachment.php

It is later than a 1-40, the 1-40 has the funky cover like the D-30/36 saws.

Probably a 1-41, 1-42, or 1-43. Could be a 200 as well.

Most 250's either have the long, sculpted cover or the black shorter cover for late models. 1-45 and 1-46 also had the black top cover.

80 cc's in any case, may on may not have bearings (bushings instead) up in the piston end of the connecting rod (1-41/42/43).

No matter which model, lots of parts are available if you get it and need something.

Mark

thanks, that's what I want to hear, plenty of parts available.... let's see what I can do to try and grab it this weekend then.. just looked up specs on all the possibles given. pushing or at 20lbs, built to last and 80cc class makes this an ole' work horse.. thanks again. :clap:

well, we'll find out tomorrow what it is... couldn't make it there today but picking it up tomorrow at a negotiated price of $20. Shhh, if my wife asks, it was free. She also doesn't know about the new bar and chain I bought this weekend.

just got home with it..... and the winner is - 1-41. good shape. Compression seems very good, has spark and fires but needs a good cleaning.. will be breaking it down tonight to clean the packed crud out of it and see what needs to be done..

good deal for $20

that is funny.....

and.. It's ALIVE!!! some gas in the carb and a good work out on the starter rope and it roars... just giving her a bath to make her more presentable now.. don't think it's been taken apart since birth, caked with crud. Nice shape Pro-Mac 18" (I think) bar on it but chain is shot. Looking around for specs on it, am I correct on it being a .404??

also I know many say different but is acresinternet profile has is at 20:1 mix, read around and most say either 25:1 or I saw 40:1??? thanks again.

Most of those olde McCulloch's would have been equipped with .404 chain originally. All of the spur type sprockets I have seen for those older saws are .404 as well. There are splined/rim type clutch drums available which would allow you to run any pitch you want by changing the sprockets, and with the hard nose bar you only need to match the chain gauge.

Be careful though and check you sprocket against a known chain pitch as the older spur type drums sometimes came with 7/16" or 1/2" pitch sprockets.

Older mix oil was not the same quality as what is available today. Any good oild mixed at 40:1 will be fine. As with any two stroke, don't let the fuel mix sit around for months at a time or you could be asking for trouble.

Mark

Back