Anyone tried the M18 Millwauke electric chainsaw yet ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at them and their m18 electric hedge trimmer. Too bad the electric saw isn't a top handle :( I'm all stocked up on m18 power tools......
I would have bought an m18 top handle for sure.

I was looking at them and their m18 electric hedge trimmer. Too bad the electric saw isn't a top handle :( I'm all stocked up on m18 power tools......
I would have bought an m18 top handle for sure.

I would think a battery powered top handle would be awesome. I've never counted how many times I've started a saw while up in the air, I know I'd lose count. Believe it or not, I shut the saw off more so because I can't stand listening to it. I think it would work well for climbers as well, quart bottle of oil and a couple spare batteries means you don't have to ground yourself or the saw to refuel. Then again, I do find it refreshing to put my feet back on the ground every so often.

I would think a battery powered top handle would be awesome. I've never counted how many times I've started a saw while up in the air, I know I'd lose count. Believe it or not, I shut the saw off more so because I can't stand listening to it. I think it would work well for climbers as well, quart bottle of oil and a couple spare batteries means you don't have to ground yourself or the saw to refuel. Then again, I do find it refreshing to put my feet back on the ground every so often.
Stihl and Husky make battery powered tophandled climbing saws. I think Oregon does too. Might be worth checking out if you do a lot of climbing.

If the street price is $399 I would buy a Stihl. For $299 you get the Stihl homeowner saw. For $500 + you get the Stihl Pro level saw. I have been using the Stihl homeowner version for a year and am super happy with it.

If the street price is $399 I would buy a Stihl. For $299 you get the Stihl homeowner saw. For $500 + you get the Stihl Pro level saw. I have been using the Stihl homeowner version for a year and am super happy with it.

I agree, the price of $400 and then tax, kinda makes the m18 saw unattractive , but if it cuts well and for a long time with the 12 AH battery pack , then it is something I will keep a eye on, to see if the price comes down around the $300 range during holidays/sales. FWIW...the Oregon cs300 battery pack that is 6. AH , cost $200 by itself and it only has 1/2 thr AH of the m16 battery pack.

6Ahr @ 36v ('40 volts') = 216Whr
12Ahr @ 18v = 216Whr.
Same capacity.

If you are already invested in the Milwaukee tool system, the batteries are 'free'.

Philbert
Yes, same capacity....but one operates on 18 volt and the other on 40 volt. This SHOULD result in a difference in performance in regards to speed of cuts and/or ft lbs of power the brushless motor can deliver.

Stihl and Husky make battery powered tophandled climbing saws. I think Oregon does too. Might be worth checking out if you do a lot of climbing.

Makita and Husqvarna make battery powered, top handled chain saws. Neither STIHL or Oregon currently offer one to my knowledge.

Philbert

Well ****, I better get with the times. Stihl's is the MSA 160 T, not available in the states. The video I watched wasn't impressive. I think I just need to get a quality hand saw.

Stopped at a Home Depot tonight. They had a Milwaukee 18V string trimmer, but did not know if / when they would get the chainsaw in that store.

Philbert
If you check the HD site online you can see if any local stores have it in stock.

They don't trust us? Or our lawyers?

Philbert

Good question, is it the US Gvmnt, or Stihl themselves? I wouldn't mind one if it had a significant increase in chain speed, and the only time I'd use it is on smaller branches, but as I said, I think I'll just find me a good handsaw.

After watching the video of the m18 here

It doesn't look like it outperforms my Oregon CS300 . The 2n half of the video is funny, l because the gas chainsaw they use to compare , looks like the chain may be on backwards, it cut so slowly. Sure wish these videos would stop doing gas chainsaw comparisons, when its obvious the gas chainsaw they are using, has a dull chain, or chain on backwards or a operator that doesn't have a clue how to cut wood.

Back