Anyone tried the M18 Millwauke electric chainsaw yet ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, same capacity....but one operates on 18 volt and the other on 40 volt. This SHOULD result in a difference in performance in regards to speed of cuts and/or ft lbs of power the brushless motor can deliver.

6Ahr @ 36v ('40 volts') = 216Whr
12Ahr @ 18v = 216Whr.
Same capacity.

If you are already invested in the Milwaukee tool system, the batteries are 'free'.

Philbert

peukerts law says different ;) regardless I will stick to gas.

I know when building electric bikes, that usually higher voltage and lower amps, results in more top speed, but less torque and lower voltage but higher amps results in lower top speed and more torque { with other variables involved} . Maybe the brushless motors in chainsaws do not work the same as the brushless direct drive hub motors used in electric bikes.

Lots of things to speculate on. Need to try them in the wood.

There are batteries; motors; control circuits; etc. Some tools are designed to 'cut-out' (stop) when over worked to prevent against heat damage. Some tools 'kick-in' extra power when bogged down. Some tools won't even run unless the batteries are charged to a certain level (although, other types tools using the same batteries will).

My comment on the battery capacity was that Amp-hour (Ahr) ratings of different voltage batteries cannot be compared directly. That's why the FAA, for example, uses Watt-hour (Wh) ratings for these lithium batteries. https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

Philbert

Can comment on the real world use of those batteries. I use Millwuakee tools every day in my business for a few years now.
The Milwaukee 9AH battery is a beast. I use it all day in the fuel Circular saw and it just goes and goes.
Also have used it in the string trimmer where it lasts about 1.5hours.... I would expect an hour max for the Chainsaw. (w/ 9AH battery)
I watched the rep demo the chainsaw. Like all these cordless saws, I would not rely on it for much more than trimming branches.

Climbers who have a quick trip up a tree to tune a few branches may like it but... the M18 chainsaw looks to be a homeowner tool.

All that said, The Brushless Milwaukee tools are different breed. There is to be a new 12AH battery coming too which will be great for the chopsaw and string trimmer.

Yeah, im trying to apply my knowledge of brushless motors/ batteries used on the ebikes I build, to these cordless chainsaws, but it may not apply . It seems the trend in cordless chainsaws, was to go higher in voltage, which seemed to result in better cutting { not longer cutting time} . These saw started at 12-18 volts, years ago, and then progressed to where the norm became 40 volts or higher, with some now reaching 120 DC volts. I just found it odd, that Millwauke just released a new chainsaw, and went back down to the 18 volt platform.

I guess my main inquiry would be , will a 18 volt cut as well/fast as a 40 volt chainsaw , if all other specs in the saw are the same { bar length, chain used , etc} . On a ebike, higher voltages usually results in faster RPMS of the brushless hub motor . Wonder how many RPMS the chain on the m18 rotates ? I think the Oregon cs300 is around 2800 rpm. Of course RPMS are just 1 of the important stats....torque is also very important . The key is finding that perfect match of torque/ rpms in the saw itself and then matching it with the perfect battery in regards to its weight, AH capacity, voltage . For cutting the hardest woods { hickory, eucalyptus ,etc} , I do not think the electric chainsaw market has gotten there yet....but its getting closer every year.

Like all these cordless saws, I would not rely on it for much more than trimming branches.
r.

This amount of cutting was done with about one charge with my Stihl homeowner saw. Part of the secret is the narrow kerf chain and bar. I wonder what chain the Milwaukee has.

lCSL3XN.jpg

I spent about 20 minutes today cutting with the CS300 Oregon. I bought a 6AH battery and wanted to take it down from full charge of 4 lights to half charge of 2 lights, to store the battery until winter { supposedly li-ion batteries are best stored at 50% charge. }

The technology still is not there in comparison to gas saws , IMHO. For cutting softwoods or smaller diameter hardwoods/ thick branches up to 10 inchs, and de-limbing big trees , the CS300 is up to the task and VERY convenient. Hardwood 12 inchs or more round is still a bit of a strain for the CS300. It can do it, but its not time feasible and you can hear the brushless motor doesn't like the strain.

I am glad I bought it though, because it is convenient, easy to use and I sometimes cut my wood to long and it needs to be cut again during winter months . Having a cordless electric allows that to be done, without the hassle of mixing up gas/oil just for a few minutes of use/ cutting.

I got a good deal on mine to. Paid $195 shipped for it brand new in box with 4 AH battery pack/ charger. I sold the battery on ebay for $110 and netted about $85 profit after fees/shipping , which took me down to $110 out of pocket for the saw/charger, then I bought a new 6AH battery pack for $160 . So I got $270 in the whole setup .

Right now the 6ah battery pack is the largest AH pack Oregon offers, but im confident they will soon offer a 8 ah pack to compete with other companies improvements in battery capacity.

For the average homeowner that doesn't want the noise /hassle of gas or the extension cords of 120 volt saws , this is a good product. I would never want to use it soley to cut 4 cords of wood for my yearly heating needs, but the power is good enough and the conveniences of having it on hand for easy , quick , cutting are worth it.

This CS300 is capable of cutting several cords of hardwood a year but a good gas saw will still do that task much quicker , saving you a lot of time . If you are not in a hurry then the CS300 is certainly a solid option. I like to cut/split and stack my 4 cords of wood every year, within a few days time frame so strictly using the CS300 for the cutting part, would not be fast enough.

Back