Archer Saw chain, made in Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is from an Archer chain rep. I told him that I would post it here, to go along with the user feedback experience:

"Archer Chainsaw Chain comes from PMD International an Australian company headquartered in Melbourne, Australia.

Archer Chainsaw Chain is made with Japanese steel in a manufacturing facility that PMD International owns and operates in China. The saw chain manufacturing plant was set up a several years ago with the help of a former Oregon/Carlton saw chain engineer. I have known the Australian family behind Archer chain for over 25 years, I have been through the chain plant and I am very confident in the product they sell. PMD even makes chain (private label) for one of John Deere's subsidiaries here in the states.

Archer has installed the most comprehensive laboratory to ensure that all materials and parts all continuously quality controlled to ensure 100% consistent high quality. Archer have also installed a Q.C. system that ensures all saw chain is manufactured to high Western standards. Archer only use high quality Nickel Alloy steel to manufacture saw chain, the high-quality steel ensures toughness, and durability to accommodate all conditions and climates.

CHROMING All Archer saw chain cutters are plated with hard industrial chrome. The process used ensures a lasting cutting edge and a superior stay sharp quality. Regarding the RIVETS Archer knows that the quality of the rivet is the key to high quality saw chain. All rivets are manufactured to the highest tolerances and are processed through 4 different heat treatment processes to ensure maximum and optimum performance. The induction hardening high frequency generators are state-of-the-art and ensure optimum hardness and performance.

If you check out our feedback's you can see what our customers (and we have many repeat customers) say about the Archer chain and if you try the Archer chain, we think you will be very happy you did."

Philbert
Yeah I’m impressed on the Archer chains. I’m almost done bucking up the truckload of red oak I bought last fall but didn’t start cutting it until this summer and it’s all been done with Archer chain. Good chains and you can’t beat the prices.

The vid shows them being made in China
They have always been upfront about that. It is in the first few posts in this thread. From their promotional materials:

"Archer is a 100% Australian-owned, China-based manufacturing and trading company . . . Archer is located in Jinhua, China . . . Our factory currently exports to over 80 countries on all continents and we have 51 Archer distributors around the world."

Visit http://www.pmdinternational.com.au/

Philbert

"Archer is a 100% Australian-owned, China-based manufacturing and trading company . . . Archer is located in Jinhua, China . . . Our factory currently exports to over 80 countries on all continents and we have 51 Archer distributors around the world."

Visit http://www.pmdinternational.com.au/

Philbert
There is no reason why that chain cannot be made here other than bottom line profits for rich dickheads takin advantage of 3rd world labor and living conditions where there happy to get 10 cents a day to live on the poverty line.
And Aussies crack the sh!ts when any rich Chinese business man that buys any properties or businesses here in Oz

Those poor ****ers putting those chains together getting paid **** money so we tight arses can buy a half price chain.
At about 2 minutes into the video you start to see the more automated saw chain assembly line. The manual chain assembly, around 3:18 does look extremely labor intensive and tedious.

I often wonder how Joe Cox, who started Oregon chain, manufacturing in his basement in the mid 1940's, did things. What equipment he had, how he assembled things, etc.

Philbert

I sell Archer chain, not a ton, averaging 12 loops a week, love it. Love it, can't say enough good about it, my customers gladly leave Oregon and other brands for it, not only because its a bit less costly, but it holds an edge and lasts a long time.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

My questions may have be answered in the comments already.
Has archer chained in the last 3years?I brought a couple of chains,and it cut great first two tanks.Sharpened it up in between tanks,3rd tank getting slower, around 4-5 tank I wanted to throw the chain it still cut but cut a lot slower.I personally don't like the chip clearance.
Other chains I use normally get quicker as the tooth goes down in size.Iv heard a few other Aussies complain about the chain having similar experience 3years ago.I haven't heard any complaints about it recently from Aussie users.I have since brought archer chains but haven't used them enough to compare my experience from 3years ago.
(Hope my gibberish makes sense not to good at this typing stuff)

Glad this thread turned around, makes me feel good about the Archer bar and chain I bought not long ago. Just wanted something to get by if I pinched my main bar firewooding, and to put on my winch powerhead if two saws turned out to be more valuable than one saw and a winch. Wasn't expecting to use it much so I didn't want to pony up for Stihl, but it sounds like the Archer will do fine even if I do have to put some use on it.

The people in China building Archer chains for poo wages are welcome to work somewhere else if they want, the same way the people scrubbing toilets and cleaning up baby puke on aisle 2 at Walmart here in the states are welcome to. Those people in China are choosing to build chains for a reason, it's the best deal they've got going for them. Don't try to take even that job away from them. For plenty of them, working for $5/day in a saw chain factory is tremendous wealth compared to working for $0.50/day out in the rice paddies.

Glad this thread turned around, makes me feel good about the Archer bar and chain I bought not long ago. Just wanted something to get by if I pinched my main bar firewooding, and to put on my winch powerhead if two saws turned out to be more valuable than one saw and a winch. Wasn't expecting to use it much so I didn't want to pony up for Stihl, but it sounds like the Archer will do fine even if I do have to put some use on it.

The people in China building Archer chains for poo wages are welcome to work somewhere else if they want, the same way the people scrubbing toilets and cleaning up baby puke on aisle 2 at Walmart here in the states are welcome to. Those people in China are choosing to build chains for a reason, it's the best deal they've got going for them. Don't try to take even that job away from them. For plenty of them, working for $5/day in a saw chain factory is tremendous wealth compared to working for $0.50/day out in the rice paddies.
I dont fault a company so much for going to China for something like this where the quality control is good and the product quality is high, its not a knock-off of some other brand like a saw or an engine. They seem to chemically blue their components and this at least appears to give the chain some resistance to sap buildup and corrosion. There are some absolute garbage chinese chains, like...warm trash in the form of a chain. Those chains are generally a chinese company that gets thr gist of chain...they can look at a chain and replicate it to a point but they dont know the science in practice of how it works...such as chrome plating the cutters or different hardness levels for various components. I like Archer, and its not like it "for the money they are good". They could be more expensive and id still buy them and my customers would still buy them.

I have no negative comments about their chain at all. I have been running it for about 3 years and have gone through 2 25ft rolls. Is, IMO, as good as Oregon and saves me a heck of a lot of money.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I went through a 25' roll, to tell the truth i don,t remember using any for my use. Sold few or more 20"loops to neighbors and no complaints so far.
Where can i buy another 25' roll cheapest? Might do a roll each semi chisel 3/8.050 and .325 .063.. I,d rather have stihl chain but not for what it normally cost.

I went through a 25' roll, to tell the truth i don,t remember using any for my use. Sold few or more 20"loops to neighbors and no complaints so far.
Where can i buy another 25' roll cheapest? Might do a roll each semi chisel 3/8.050 and .325 .063.. I,d rather have stihl chain but not for what it normally cost.
Stihl chain and bars have gotten out of sight, and i haven't seen any real advantage to them.

Latest posts

Back