Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes very much faster and the stuff really falls away. And it dries without rusting.
I'm still using the same quart bottle of Evaporust that I did your chain in. I only did about half the chain, it was so stiff I couldn't fold it up to fit in the can I had. I've done several ax heads and a couple more chains. Let it sit overnight and it's done. It leaves a black dusty layer. A brass brush will knock it off an ax head in less than 1 minute. I wonder if they are similar components with different names?

Not sure. This stuff dries hard and there’s no residue on the metal, it’s all in the bottom of the coffee can. I believe this is quite a bit stronger than the other stuff I’ve used.

I did the lightly rusted shoes first, then the head, and now I have some very rusty horseshoes we found at the end of a portage in there.

If you google Ospho theres lots of info on it. At $49.99 per gallon msrp it’s not cheap. Had I known it was that expensive I wouldn’t have wasted a half gallon on horseshoes lol. This stuff has been in my shed for over 15 years though and sometimes chemicals lose their potency when repeatedly going through freezing and thawing cycles. Not this though.

I suspect the ospho is mainly phosphoric acid, most commercial rust removers are I think.

this...this is cheap. but seems to be working for staining my heads (although they had hardly any rust on them, just the lightest surface rust)
IMG_20180511_173629.jpg

Been going 5 days, although i checked it mid week and realised it was only working where the chips touched the metal and were wet, and the bucket was merely damp, so i then added lots more water and it seems to have helped. The heads/black liquid has a lovely metallic metalworkshopy smell they are back in for now but will come out sunday probably, then we will dry and wipe with BLO. if the staining on my fingers is anything to go by, the black stain might be durable-ish

Last Ospho post, I promise.

I found these horseshoes and a few others at the end of a portage into a remote lake. I can only assume there was a logging camp there at one point. They were really rusty so a few of the chunks stayed on but most came off. Either way they will hold paint much better now.

2B2FBFC0-854C-4FF8-9A67-1FE533B0F6A6.jpeg FDF237E6-5680-4AA7-B89B-92FC6F8D8254.jpeg

The yard sales have started !

Hbffm0C.jpg

2 1/4 lb Sandvik

It had been beat on some so I gave a quick clean .

GVAvLMF.jpg

u1fQ2s8.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll rehang or rehaft yet , I'll decide when I get the haft off and have a closer look .

BTW , 7$ :)

Sweet $7!! nice Dan. Seeing it reminds me, i need to post photos of the Elwell I bought recently. Elwell is a top vintage English maker.
IMG_20180513_180912.jpg

Head is very good,
IMG_20180513_181007.jpg
and 28" handle is pretty good too. it was very dry and has soaked up 2 or 3 wipes of BLO already. Nice and whippy too. It does have a little overstrike damage though
IMG_20180513_181037.jpg

and as you can see, like Dan's its worked loose 1/4 inch or more in the past. I would like to remove the head then drop it down 1/2 to 3/4 inch, and cover most of the damage but someone has fitted a large metal wedge...won't be easy to remove given its down inside the head.
IMG_20180513_180957.jpg

It has got it gripped though, the head is tight. so I'm leaning to leaving it, and sorting out an overstrike protector....more on that shortly

I took down a 70' White Pine for my neighbor Saturday, and took 4 dump trailers of brush and wood to the mulch factory today. Just as I got home my cousin called and said there were several nice axes at the local auction. So, I grabbed my money and got down to the auction. He said there was one short handled ax and a boys ax in the first barn. I found them and gave them a quick look. The short handled one was a fairly nice Jersey, but I didn't see any name, and I knew it would be an hour before they got to it, so I gave up and went home. A little after I got home, another friend called and said he was at the auction and the short handle ax was a Plumb. I looked at it over and over and didn't see it, my vision was so blurry from heat and sweat. Anyway, he got it for me for $10. I'll have a pic in a couple days. I drank a 6 pack of water and I think I'm still running dry.

Latest posts

Back