Barber Chair question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was only planning to use the epoxy on the wedge

I put the ax head in a vise with the handle vertical, have handle eye portin covered in epoxy, then inset into ax eye from the; bottom. If wood not a good seal, smear some clay to close any gaps, Then fully fill any space between head and handle, including the wood wedge notch.
Drive in wood wedge, let cure. Remove slop, file or grind part of handle that extends past head, add metal wedge (typ 1" by 3/4" size wedge.).

Thanks, ArtB. I thought you just did the wedge.

How do I remove the epoxy from the head when I break the handle?

Ron
I chuck ax head in drill press vice, drill 2 ea 5/8" hole, drive old handle pieces out. Have never seen the epoxy bond so firmly to the head that epoxy canot be chipped out.

Judicious use of propane torch work also once biggest pieces drilled/driven out.

Before I could try the rebar epoxy, I splintered my axe handle pounding wedges today trying to turn an Ash. May get to try it on a new handle if I can't get it to fit to my satisfaction. Sorting through the handle bin at the COOP for a straight and nice grained handle is not my favorite lunch break activity. Usually never happy with the result. But you got to do what you got to do.
Ron

I have never seen a softwood split in Ireland. Our softwood is very soft, spruce trees can reach 80 feet height and 3'+ diameter in 30 years. I once cut a 70 foot spruce tree that was bent right over. The top had almost come back down to the ground. This particular tree was about 10 inches on the stump. I cut it with conventional undercut and straight back cut. It didnt split but I could see where it had tried when I got a look at the butt. If my chain had been dull it might have split.

A small willow tree in the same situation barber chaired on my last week. It was too small to bore and my chain was somewhat dull.

My barber is like 3 min away.
When she puts me in the chair i pray she don’t smother me to death with them jugs.
Dang she is butt ugly too.
Charges like 2x more also, Butt she is 3 min away.

Had a cherry with a 30-40 degree lean , maybe 15" diameter split about 30 feet last winter. Left wood standing about 10 feet up, did NOT get hung up in the air.

Was a GOOD reminder to be careful. Knew the tree was dangerous, had lots of room to run, etc.

Good thing it was destined for firewood, saved a lot of work............................ :bang:

I have literally yanked the heck out 100's of cherries (fencerow with back lean) chained to a pickup and never had one split, every one of them should have! Due to deep snow and limited egress I did not want to be near them so we pulled them over after making cuts. Sometimes had to go back and make more cuts. Every tree has it's own rules I think

Latest posts

Back