Best Climbing Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ill say the echo ,but i believe the 3400 mite be a sturdier machine.
in reality ive owned half dozen used an new top handle saws. the old xxv poulan
10 inch bar is the one that suits me the best. u mite have to get lucky to find one that didnt have problems tho.had to replace the gas lines in mine.good luck.
several of the majors put out what i consider good top handles ,but they do cost.

I'd vote for the Echo, or maybe a used 020. I have an 011 and I'm not too fond of the 009 (same thing) design.

The Echo 3400 (or 340 now) and open up the muffler, you will have a $250 saw with 90% of the power of a $400 saw. One guy I work for has a brand new 020T and my old cheapo will almost keep up with it. It spanks his older 020T.

notice a couple key things climber 165 said. (90%) and (almost). just drop the bucks and buy a stihl ms 200t andyou'll never regret it.

I have a 3400 Echo, on which I opened up the muffler, same as Brian did. It cut 10-15% faster, but was still a bit slower than an old stock Husky 335. Brian and a lot of guys like the Echo's, me, not so much. A good saw for sure for the price, tho. Just thought I'd throw in my feelings and cutting experiences, since they seem a bit different than brian's.

I'm a fan of the Husky 335, as most of it's old problems are solved. And if you have it modified for $120-250, it will cut much faster. Or just mod the muffler for plenty of guts. My Walkerized one is a great little machine..

Hmm, maybe he has a lot of 100 for that price..

Poor fella, maybe he'll wake up and move the decimal point over a couple notches

How much work are you planning on doing?I use an 020t,and have used it for 6 years with very little trouble.A little more money to start with,but should out last the others 2 to 1.Just my opinion though.:D ,Dan

I think I will order 6 at that price..then if I modify them I should get $4, 238, 212.00...that is just based upon the market value adjustment that our seller has used...as well as a few bucks extra for me...

I cut with an echo 3450 because I prefer a rear handled saw for climbing.
I bet most guys would like the rear handle 3450, over the top handle 3400, if they ever took one up a tree and cut for a week or so.
If you insist on a top handle, ms200 is the best tool, followed by the husky 335. The echo is a throw away saw.
The echo does not have "almost" as much power as the stihl, IMO. I bet a ms200 would cut close to twice as fast as an echo. But just how many seconds do you spend actually cutting with a topping saw?
I usually trade off for a bigger saw, like an 046, when I get down to the meatier wood on removals. When trimming, I only need my 3450, and that's almost too much.

its hard to beat a sthil 011, if you can find one later nfp

i have a 191T and its alright but i as soon as i wear it out i'm gonna get a 335xp:D

Still lovin my 335Cali! Even though I cracked the Muffler guard (plastic) last week.

--If anyone has a fix for the muffler cover and Plug cover let me know, I'd really like to replace those 2 parts with somthing that won't break.

Greg

Moderator --- Please repost this entire thread weekly, would save a lot of time....haha
I'm thinking of a new topic....what is better, Stihl or Husky???

Greg,

Tape works pretty well for both. The plug seldoms needs access, and the tape usually holds on for quite a while. The muffler cover can be wired and/or taped fairly easily.

I'm better than I used to be at not bashing the saw around much. Hanging the saw right on your belt helps.

A plus is neither part costs much...

Latest posts

Back