Best Climbing Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tony marks

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
ill say the echo ,but i believe the 3400 mite be a sturdier machine.
in reality ive owned half dozen used an new top handle saws. the old xxv poulan
10 inch bar is the one that suits me the best. u mite have to get lucky to find one that didnt have problems tho.had to replace the gas lines in mine.good luck.
several of the majors put out what i consider good top handles ,but they do cost.

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
The Echo 3400 (or 340 now) and open up the muffler, you will have a $250 saw with 90% of the power of a $400 saw. One guy I work for has a brand new 020T and my old cheapo will almost keep up with it. It spanks his older 020T.

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 3400 Echo, on which I opened up the muffler, same as Brian did. It cut 10-15% faster, but was still a bit slower than an old stock Husky 335. Brian and a lot of guys like the Echo's, me, not so much. A good saw for sure for the price, tho. Just thought I'd throw in my feelings and cutting experiences, since they seem a bit different than brian's.

I'm a fan of the Husky 335, as most of it's old problems are solved. And if you have it modified for $120-250, it will cut much faster. Or just mod the muffler for plenty of guts. My Walkerized one is a great little machine..

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hmm, maybe he has a lot of 100 for that price..

Poor fella, maybe he'll wake up and move the decimal point over a couple notches

the tree guy

the tree guy

ArboristSite Operative
How much work are you planning on doing?I use an 020t,and have used it for 6 years with very little trouble.A little more money to start with,but should out last the others 2 to 1.Just my opinion though.:D ,Dan

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
I cut with an echo 3450 because I prefer a rear handled saw for climbing.
I bet most guys would like the rear handle 3450, over the top handle 3400, if they ever took one up a tree and cut for a week or so.
If you insist on a top handle, ms200 is the best tool, followed by the husky 335. The echo is a throw away saw.
The echo does not have "almost" as much power as the stihl, IMO. I bet a ms200 would cut close to twice as fast as an echo. But just how many seconds do you spend actually cutting with a topping saw?
I usually trade off for a bigger saw, like an 046, when I get down to the meatier wood on removals. When trimming, I only need my 3450, and that's almost too much.

Greg

ArboristSite Guru
Still lovin my 335Cali! Even though I cracked the Muffler guard (plastic) last week.

--If anyone has a fix for the muffler cover and Plug cover let me know, I'd really like to replace those 2 parts with somthing that won't break.

Greg

Moderator --- Please repost this entire thread weekly, would save a lot of time....haha
I'm thinking of a new topic....what is better, Stihl or Husky???

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Greg,

Tape works pretty well for both. The plug seldoms needs access, and the tape usually holds on for quite a while. The muffler cover can be wired and/or taped fairly easily.

I'm better than I used to be at not bashing the saw around much. Hanging the saw right on your belt helps.

A plus is neither part costs much...

Latest posts